UK Amylase

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rargh
Novice

UK Amylase

Post by Rargh »

Hiya (been away for a long time)

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this but here goes.

I am struggling to find a decent price amylase in the UK. Looks like I can get a good price (£12 + postage £15 for the first one) on multiples of 1 lb from the USA. Anyone fancy any while I am doing an order? Sharing the postage costs cuts down on costs quite a bit.

Looking forward to getting back stilling

All the best
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UK Amylase

Post by Swedish Pride »

I get em from a polish site, a bit of a pain with the polish but they have a translate option on the site that makes it managable.
https://destylacja.com/pl/p/ENZYMY-DO-Z ... PIANA/2972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Think it was a tenner to the door ( Ireland) and enough for 300kg grain
Don't be a dick
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Brilliant Swedish - Thanks for that ! :D
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Cheers Sweedish, looks like thats the new best option :D
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

no bother at all fellas, It's good stuff, a bit more than stated dose lets you be a bit more lenient with ph and temps.
Not that I'm lazy, oh wait I am
Don't be a dick
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

so, general consensus is that decent place to order?
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've only ordered the enzymes from there and it's fine for that.
Despite me asking them to do up a shipping price for worldwide shipping they only send to Europe last time i looked.
Don't be a dick
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Mine arrived to the UK within two weeks of ordering.
I added a few different packs of yeast since the postage wasn't effected.
I will be getting a sack of either flaked maize or flaked barley (cant decide which) to give the enzymes a go next weekend :-)
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

do one of each :)
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

do you guys recommend the bumper pack with the following? if so what the difference between the 1st and 2nd?

does the 2nd make it less thick so you can stir and the 1st change the starch to sugar? if so both required... and the 3rd to stop you blowing your bubbler..

3 x 50 ML - Saccharification enzyme, Gluko-Amylase - a natural enzyme used to break down polysaccharides (starch) into fermentable sugars.
1 x 50 ML - Fluidizing enzyme, Alpha-Amylase - a natural enzyme used to liquefy starch.
1 x 50 ML - Antipate - an agent used to overcome the large production of foam during rapid fermentation, which doubles the volume of mash.
License number NRU/D/15/22
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

I also live in the UK after searching for a while I found this site in Germany and got both enzymes and shipping for £40 oh a litre of each take for ever to use hope this helps
https://www.schnapsbrenner.eu/Beerzym-AMYL-Erbsloh-1-kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The other one is minical
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Manc wrote:I also live in the UK after searching for a while I found this site in Germany and got both enzymes and shipping for £40 oh a litre of each take for ever to use hope this helps
https://www.schnapsbrenner.eu/Beerzym-AMYL-Erbsloh-1-kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The other one is minical

Can't see the labels properly.
Are they high temp too?
store in the fridge i take it?
Don't be a dick
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi Swedish yes if you Google the data sheet u can get a pdf for both gives all the info I've used a few times now amalyse is easy struggling a bit with minical hard to get the pH down tried using backset today giving it an overnight rest see how it goes tomorrow wish me luck
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

PS if i can help any more I'd be happy to help :D
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

Manc wrote:PS if i can help any more I'd be happy to help :D
Go big or go home! I like your style.

Dosage: 15-35 ml / 100 kg bed

you have enough for over 2 tonnes of grain.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi needmorstuff
Never of thought of it that way guess I'm going to buy some bigger fermenting buckets but what fun
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

just wondering about the expiration time on it.
I got some from the polish site and I've only used half of it after a year and a bit and I'm liberal with the dosage.
Don't be a dick
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi don't know if this a duplicate still getting use to how it works just checked both have a best before of 5/19. With it being best before I imagine that just relates to guaranteed potency like medicine's etc rather than a useby date I am also liberal with my doses 10ml each per 30l fermenter I can't see to find any reports of any off flavours on here but if you can help it will be appreciated
Manc
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

A good place to order. I think so, i got a few packets of yeast and the enzymes Sweedish recommended and they arrived quickly.
I had a mess around in the kitchen trying to convert 1kg of cornflakes, since they were cooked I went straight in with the saccification (spelling) enzyme and even after pH correction and 3 hrs at 50C I still had starch left. I chucked it into a beer (classic American pilsner) mash so nothing wasted ;-) I guess its me not following the full instructions

I am planning on using the enzymes for a 20 kg flaked maize wash (been a bit delayed). Going on the instructions its 4 ml of the liquidizing enzyme (being a little generous) at 85 C then when at 60 C (or any idea on times?) add 10 ml of the latter enzyme after pH correction to 3.5-5 and leave for starch conversion. Then leave to convert.

Does that seem about right Sweedish? Any other tips?
I don't mind reporting back
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

sounds good to me lad, leave it at least one hour at 85c ish then drop to 60c as you see fit.

Hope you have better flaked maize that I have, mine tastes of nothing, i get the sweetness but no flavour.. :(
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

when checking for starch - you using iodine tincture? if so I did note that unless you filter all the particles out of the mash prior to testing it will go black regardless of conversion state. That is I had mine go black, I then immediately filtered it through a coffee paper and tested again and it didn't go black.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

nah, I just assume it did it's thing :)
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

I know what you mean... after doing a few mashes confidence in the enzymes does grow. and if the mash is lovely and sweet that certainly helps.

Sweedish do you squeeze out the mash or sparge? even with a mop wringer I'm thinking of sparging..
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I got a wringer, happy enough with it, could never get the sparging to work properly
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

i bought a cheap ass 20l wringer.. still have to press down on the bag with my hand.. takes about an hour to get 45l done and there is still some liquid in the grain. Maybe I should stop being a cheap ass and buy a decent one.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I got a cheap ass one as well, i do the same in 20 min....
I think the trick is not to give care to much about the retained liquid, 3 quick goes in the wringer and I call it good.
I may loose a liter or 3 but rather that than to kill myself, just add more grain and water next time and you don;t have to worry to much about recovering all of it :)
Don't be a dick
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

toward the end I did get that way..

I was mad the 1st 40l batch.. pressing it down until I got every last damn drop out, did near kill me and my knuckles scraped on the mop wringer sides like a cheese grater! had some strange looks from my I.T colleagues the next day as my hands looked like I had been to fight club the night before.
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Cheers for the time and the temp info.
Starch test - yeah using iodine tincture. Interesting about filtering out the solids.

I did a batch of maize.
I used this stuff
https://www.burnhills.com/equestrian-c3 ... feed-p3071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I did 85 C for 2 hrs ish then down to 60 C for 2 hrs and left to cool. Didnt pass a starch test but I didnt filter it. Fermented on the grain. Just finished fermenting so hoping to run over the weekend.
I was wondering about distilling on the grain or not but by the sounds of it you guys squeeze out the juice and run that. I will go down that route I think rather than risking burning grain in my still.

Will let you know how it is
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi Rargh

Good luck with your run. You're right with not running on the grain also try and let it settle after you've squeezed the grain as bits still come through hope this helps

Manc