looking for info on this doubler design

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dubs
Novice

looking for info on this doubler design

Post by dubs »

Hello all, The main thing I want to ask you all about is this doubler design I noticed on the show, "Moonshiners". I originally planned on installing ferrules/tri-clamps and use a 1/2 barrel keg for the pot and a 1/4 or a 1/6 for the thumper but while watching an episode of that show, I noticed what appeared to be an attachment that looked more like a cap but seems to function as a doubler and since I'm going for a more compacted design, I started looking for information on it both on these forums and on the internet. Since I had no name to go with the design and the keyword I used didn't really turn anything up either, I couldn't find it.
I'm curious if any of you can identify it as a design that already exists or anything as I'm not sure if it's just a hollow chamber or if it functions as a percolator style system with a submerged mushroom shape to provide the thump, though I see nowhere that would allow it to be filled with liquid, and the last photo shows that it's a hollow chamber but it doesn't show the piece itself so I'm not trying to go building this without knowing for sure. I gathered a few pictures from the episodes that showed it, though none went into close enough detail for me to tell anything about it. Building it won't be a problem, just gotta figure out what's inside. Any input you guys might have is greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading!
:thumbup:
EDIT: Links for slightly larger images for anybody that it might help, in the same order as shown below.
https://i.imgur.com/bj0dRJP.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/IoIQWsh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/HUY8vi9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/zukcmRI.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/jwjrK7K.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://i.imgur.com/IzkXjWO.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
doubler 1.jpg
doubler 2.jpg
doubler 3.jpg
doubler 4.jpg
doubler 5.jpg
magic doubler.jpg
Last edited by dubs on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: looking for info on this doubler design

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a good read dubs: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=11436 Enjoy.

Use caution when heeding advice/designs/operations etc., from the clowns on the Discovery channel. Remember, it’s a TV show....although it does tend to make me laugh.
ss

p.s. - don’t use 3rd party hosts for your photos...they won’t sustain and that’ll render this thread useless in the future. We advise to resize the images to 800x800 pixels or less and attaching them on the site. There is an “upload attachment” tab at the bottom of post input form. Use that to add photos.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
dubs
Novice

Post by dubs »

still_stirrin wrote:Here’s a good read dubs: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=11436 Enjoy.

Use caution when heeding advice/designs/operations etc., from the clowns on the Discovery channel. Remember, it’s a TV show....although it does tend to make me laugh.
ss

p.s. - don’t use 3rd party hosts for your photos...they won’t sustain and that’ll render this thread useless in the future. We advise to resize the images to 800x800 pixels or less and attaching them on the site. There is an “upload attachment” tab at the bottom of post input form. Use that to add photos.

That's actually one of the ones I found searching, which lead me to think it might have been a percolator style system, but I was never able to see any port that would have allowed them to use it in that fashion from the pictures.

And that's precisely why I came here! I take anything I see on there with a very large grain of salt, so I figured if anybody had ever seen something like that before, they would probably be somewhere around here. The people that used that still set up had what looked like shine in a jar, and they burned some on the lid that made it appear to be some clean, high proof alcohol, but there's no telling on something like that, could just be using some vodka from the liquor store. I mainly just watch it for recipe ideas.

And thanks for the heads up, I'll go ahead and fix the pictures.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

It is a beautiful still!
I would call the thing on the top a helmet. Never used one, but I do not believe it works like a thumper. I expect it works more like a plate in a column, giving extra reflux and so strengthening % and taste. But that is just my guess.

I feel Moonshiners can be very interesting, but you have to know the trade yourself to judge the information.
Besides that I find it amusing.
dubs
Novice

Post by dubs »

Kareltje wrote:It is a beautiful still!
I would call the thing on the top a helmet. Never used one, but I do not believe it works like a thumper. I expect it works more like a plate in a column, giving extra reflux and so strengthening % and taste. But that is just my guess.

I feel Moonshiners can be very interesting, but you have to know the trade yourself to judge the information.
Besides that I find it amusing.
I agree! I never really noticed it in earlier seasons, but saw it as I was also planning out the design for my keg still and really liked it.
Being that I couldn't see any kind of inlet for a liquid on it, that is what I suspected it to be as well, I could only estimate that it would allow enough distance to let some of the water cool enough to condensate on it and drip back into the pot.

That is my problem and why I am here. I've learned a little bit, but I simply don't know enough to say their information is accurate enough to use. Though if it is accurate, I feel that design should see more popularity. Without having to deal with a thumper, that's just that much less clean up to deal with!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Works like a single plate in a flute. In fact, Larry explains that the design (in his thread) was developed before the flute thread here in our forum. The vapor bubbles up through a depth of liquid, either condensate or thumper charge. Simple design but a little tricky build (easier than a flute build however). Larry added a liquid return line which spills thumper overflow back to the boiler.

Read through the thread I attached if you want more info on design and operation. And, I suggest reading, not just looking at the pictures. It'll help your understanding of the inline thumper (single plate) design.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
dubs
Novice

Post by dubs »

still_stirrin wrote:Works like a single plate in a flute. In fact, Larry explains that the design (in his thread) was developed before the flute thread here in our forum. The vapor bubbles up through a depth of liquid, either condensate or thumper charge. Simple design but a little tricky build (easier than a flute build however). Larry added a liquid return line which spills thumper overflow back to the boiler.

Read through the thread I attached if you want more info on design and operation. And, I suggest reading, not just looking at the pictures. It'll help your understanding of the inline thumper (single plate) design.
ss
Interesting. It's been so long since I've thought about a flute style that I forgot all about it, but that seems like a pretty logical conclusion to what's inside now that i do think about it. I've got some researching to do.
Neuspeed61
Novice

Post by Neuspeed61 »

I have been debating on building a pot column that has 3-4 bubbles in it using 2"-3" reducers with a small 3" nipple between them. Or possibly 2"-4". Not sure if the final output would be worth the effort but might look neat.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Unless it rains, I just don't see it, although the design of Chicos still is pretty. Now if a coldfinger or set of tubes were up top in the " doubler" you would get some reflux.

The name doubler is misleading, as a thumper at best is a half distilation. Doubler or thumper give me the thumper.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Hilltop wrote:Unless it rains, I just don't see it, although the design of Chicos still is pretty. Now if a coldfinger or set of tubes were up top in the " doubler" you would get some reflux.

The name doubler is misleading, as a thumper at best is a half distilation. Doubler or thumper give me the thumper.
The thumper is a doubler as is a plate in the column still. It is a distillation phase not a half distillation phase a full phase of the distillate. As our product moves to its next plate or to thumper there is a different compound and vapor temperature that it condenses at,the crap compresses and is moved out or sent back to the boiler with plates or to the bottom of the thumper.
BTW I don't know Chicos still but assume you talking moonshiners tv.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Looking at the pictures I noticed a peculiar thing: from the helmet or whatever you call the thing on top of the boiler to the condenser there is a sudden restriction of the width of the pipe. Estimating on view I would say from 28 mm to 15 mm and then back to 28 mm.
It takes effort and time and money to make that, so there must be a reason for it. What could that be????
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

acfixer69 wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Unless it rains, I just don't see it, although the design of Chicos still is pretty. Now if a coldfinger or set of tubes were up top in the " doubler" you would get some reflux.

The thumper is a doubler as is a plate in the column still. It is a distillation phase not a half distillation phase a full phase of the distillate. As our product moves to its next plate or to thumper there is a different compound and vapor temperature that it condenses at,the crap compresses and is moved out or sent back to the boiler with plates or to the bottom of the thumper.
BTW I don't know Chicos still but assume you talking moonshiners tv.
I'm not, the op is. The thread is about Chicos Doubler design off that wannabe moonshiner show

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Kareltje wrote:Looking at the pictures I noticed a peculiar thing: from the helmet or whatever you call the thing on top of the boiler to the condenser there is a sudden restriction of the width of the pipe. Estimating on view I would say from 28 mm to 15 mm and then back to 28 mm.
It takes effort and time and money to make that, so there must be a reason for it. What could that be????
People waste time and money on lots of things, the vapor is headed toward the exit, very little reflux, copper packing probably gives more.

I like his use of tri clamps as i hate paste. It's pretty, but I don't have much faith he's getting much reflux action.

I once saw an episode where this chico guy ran the same still in the raim, now that day, he got some reflux.Lol!

cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Kareltje wrote:Looking at the pictures I noticed a peculiar thing: from the helmet or whatever you call the thing on top of the boiler to the condenser there is a sudden restriction of the width of the pipe. Estimating on view I would say from 28 mm to 15 mm and then back to 28 mm.
I guess it's 3/4 pipe inside another 1 1/2 or more pipe for the liebig condenser.

This show is really well written and actors are great !!
( Joking )
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

download/file.php?id=32812
This was taken in front of the courthouse in Fayetteville Arkansas, I was reading this thread and remembered this still and the similarity.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

firewater69 wrote:download/file.php?id=32812
This was taken in front of the courthouse in Fayetteville Arkansas, I was reading this thread and remembered this still and the similarity.
Now that's what I'm talking about, notice on your pic the " condenser" on top has two pipes coming out the top, water in, water out. An early reflux is what that is, not a doubler. Interesting pic. I had to zoom to see the pipes.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I just pulled it up on a larger tablet, it has me puzzled as if one looks real good the copper tubing is coming off the pipes above their heads, one goes to a worm, the other goes to a barrel, maybe some type of continuous distillation? Not sure, interesting pic for sure

firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

It looks like it's feeding 2 worms.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

firewater69 wrote:It looks like it's feeding 2 worms.
I don't know firewater, as one barrel would cool a still that size easy. Why two? Seems a waste of copper to me.

firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I agree Hilltop, I think it would be a waste of time and copper but it does appear to show 2 coils although one looks like it's been roughed up a lot. People do strange things sometimes....who knows. If memory serves me right, the article said this bust happened in town in the basement of home. I've always like that boiler and I could see putting a cold finger or copper coil inside for some reflux.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cede wrote:
I guess it's 3/4 pipe inside another 1 1/2 or more pipe for the liebig condenser.

This show is really well written and actors are great !!
( Joking )
Ah, you might be right. Now you mention it: if someone would take a picture of my still he could find the same view. :oops:

firewater69 wrote:download/file.php?id=32812
Ha, how close.
I suppose this design must have some use or be in some tradition, but I have never seen it. And clearly no other members but you have.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

firewater69 wrote:I agree Hilltop, I think it would be a waste of time and copper but it does appear to show 2 coils although one looks like it's been roughed up a lot. People do strange things sometimes....who knows. If memory serves me right, the article said this bust happened in town in the basement of home. I've always like that boiler and I could see putting a cold finger or copper coil inside for some reflux.
The photo is made after the bust, so I am not sure that the running of the pipes is according to their function.
These pipes might transport alcoholic vapour, but to two condenser??
Or they are the in- or export pipe for cooling water.

But I do not see these two pipes on the photos in the opening post.
Rather: there are no pipes like these ones in the photos!!
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Have a look closer at the picture, and on the left, black piece looks like an old automotive radiator !!!
That would sure make good leaded premium booze ;)
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cede wrote:Have a look closer at the picture, and on the left, black piece looks like an old automotive radiator !!!
That would sure make good leaded premium booze ;)
Don't believe that. I see no trace of a radiator in any of the pictures or in any of the parts of the serie.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

The radiator could've been used to help cool the water, It's all really just a guess as it's long gone I'm sure, but I would loved to have checked it out in person. Hell it could be in a local museum for all I know, I'll see what I can find out.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

firewater69 wrote:The radiator could've been used to help cool the water, It's all really just a guess as it's long gone I'm sure, but I would loved to have checked it out in person. Hell it could be in a local museum for all I know, I'll see what I can find out.
Cooling the cooling water by a radiator would be no problem.
I am not sure if you talk about your photo or about the pictures in the OP.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

The one I posted, sorry for the confusion.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Kareltje wrote:I am not sure if you talk about your photo or about the pictures in the OP.
I was talking about the one in the picture !
Looks like a Ford one, but could be any as they looked a bit all the same.
IMG_20141121_193239.jpg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Ah, thanks. Now I see.
Scott817
Novice

Post by Scott817 »

This still above was designed and built by Chris at Rocky Point. He is pretty friendly if you give him a call I am sure he would give you any info you like about it.