Rum recipe.......add toasted coconut sugar

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Havenor
Novice

Rum recipe.......add toasted coconut sugar

Post by Havenor »

I'd just like to pass along a tip that I first used a few years ago and stayed with me. This isn't a recipe per se, just an additive to what you are already doing. It actually makes a lot of sense when you cast your eye to the great rum makers in the Caribbean. It first came to me when I was making a butter crunch to use as a rum flavoring.

Start with coconut sugar and proceed as if you were making butter crunch or caramel. Heat VERY slowly, low heat. Unlike regular sugar it will have a tendency to burn and the heat needs to be monitored very carefully. You want it to melt, but not burn (maybe a little), which it will have a tendency to do. Once it dissolves/melts, get it off the heat quickly. I let mine cool a little and then I put it the freezer to pop it out of the pan. Save the coconut sugar brittle and use small chunks as rum flavoring as needed. You can then store the pieces for years in tupperware or similar storage. The end product will be a slightly dark brown. Unlike caramel or brittle it isn't something you would want to eat straight up. It will have a slight burnt sugar taste, more subdued. To me it adds a complex flavor, coloring, not overly sweet, and the very slight burn (did I say very slight) adds dimension. Good luck.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum recipe.......add toasted coconut sugar

Post by Still Life »

I'm always looking to make a rum more "Caribbean" if you will.
Never heard of coconut sugar, but I see it's not hard to find at all.
This is up my alley. Coconut sugar's on my shopping list.
Thanks for this tip and the instructions.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Havenor, this sounds like just the rum finishing kick I was looking for. I have a rum ferment going now and I am going to try this. Thanks for the suggestion. Otis.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Havenor
Novice

Post by Havenor »

My original intent was caramel color with a slight sweetness, without being girlie. The end product, coconut brittle, gives a rich and slightly dark color, like some of the quality sipping rums you see. My last batch included some slightly charred oak, cinnamon stick, and the brittle. Use all in moderation, especially the cinnamon and oak. I have two peeves, too smoky and too much cinnamon. Use moderately. It's easier to add more at a future time than trying to take it out.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Havenor wrote:Unlike caramel or brittle it isn't something you would want to eat straight up.
Hi Hanover. I made up a pan of this last night. I gotta disagree and say I actually like the taste, and ate it "straight up". Now I have to make another batch for use in my rum. ;-).
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My wife makes pesto and freezes it in ice cube trays. This allows her to take the amount she needs to melt for the meal she is preparing. I am guessing if you bottle your rum at cask strength and do a similar process then taking one cube out would make the drink just about right. If I can get one of my wife's ice trays away from her I will give it a go!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

CREDIT CARD GOT HACKED

Nailed it before any damage, and the protection kicked in,
but my coconut sugar from Amazon had been delayed as a result.

Got a new card entered, and finally the coconut sugar's on its way.

Can't wait to do this.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Still Life wrote:CREDIT CARD GOT HACKED

Nailed it before any damage, and the protection kicked in,
but my coconut sugar from Amazon had been delayed as a result.

Got a new card entered, and finally the coconut sugar's on its way.

Can't wait to do this.
Glad you got that fixed.
So the first batch I made, not following recipes, and it was perfect. Then I watched a damn utube vid and I screwed up the next three batches ( and finished my pound of sugar). I got more and think I have the process down now.

My mistake was too much water (2 tbsp/cup) and the result after cooling was gooey outside edges and grainy sugar inside.

For me, I used a stainless skillit started on med heat. Once the pan was good and warm pour in 1 cup of sugar. Stir for a few minutes to heat up then add only 1 tablespoon is water, or less. Stir until all the sugar is wet and keep stirring/scraping. I reduced the heat down to med/low and keep stirring for 5+ minutes. You will see a lighter shade of sugar on the skillet under your sugar blob for minutes, until you can see the blob start to turn lighter color and lighter texture. Keep mixing well until the entire blob turns light colored ( not long from when it starts turning) then pour onto parchment paper to cool. Hope this helps.

Results in nice crunchy brittel.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

OtisT wrote:So the first batch I made, not following recipes, and it was perfect. Then I watched a damn utube vid and I screwed up the next three batches ( and finished my pound of sugar). I got more and think I have the process down now.

My mistake was too much water (2 tbsp/cup) and the result after cooling was gooey outside edges and grainy sugar inside.

For me, I used a stainless skillit started on med heat. Once the pan was good and warm pour in 1 cup of sugar. Stir for a few minutes to heat up then add only 1 tablespoon is water, or less. Stir until all the sugar is wet and keep stirring/scraping. I reduced the heat down to med/low and keep stirring for 5+ minutes. You will see a lighter shade of sugar on the skillet under your sugar blob for minutes, until you can see the blob start to turn lighter color and lighter texture. Keep mixing well until the entire blob turns light colored ( not long from when it starts turning) then pour onto parchment paper to cool. Hope this helps.

Results in nice crunchy brittel.
Yeah, Otis. That helps. Good tip with the TBSP (~less) of water.
My brother the rum nut & I are going camping and I want him to partake in these "mystery bits" when he tips the jar 'round the campfire.
EventfulAnimal
Novice

Post by EventfulAnimal »

Great tip! Never thought of coconut sugar. I usually add a sprinkle of desiccated coconut to my spiced rum, because I'm an all round coconut fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Alrighty then.
Cooked this coconut sugar up, and it came out great.
Tastes like it belongs in rum, too.

(A dash of water really helped.)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Rum is only 4 months in a barrel.
Proofed some down to 40%, and added the toasted coconut sugar to it a few days ago.

The toasted coconut sugar dissolved nicely into the "aged" rum, turning it all into a deep coffee brown hue.
Delicious addition!

Thanks Havenor for this post.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I finally got another good batch of coconut sugar brittle (CSB) that I didn't eat before I found some rum. I've added brittle to some of the rum and will give things a week or two to blend before I do a full taste/smell test.

For the test jars I split 300 ml of oak aged 62% rum into two jars and sweetened one jar with 1 gram of CS brittle. ( i.e. 150 ml 62% rum and 1 g CSB.). Then I split those jars in half (75 ml ea) and added 1 ml of rum essence to one of the sweetened jars, and 1 ml of essence to one of the unsweetened jars. My rum essence is a two week old batch of half rum hearts and half rum dunder.
Rum test
Rum test
The CSB added obvious color and cloudiness from the sugar (two right jars), while the color change due to rum essence was barely noticeable. I can smell both added ingredients, but will forgo a taste test for a few weeks to give the essence and brittle time to blend.
Havenor
Novice

Post by Havenor »

Could the cloudiness be from the added water? I did mine without water.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Havenor wrote:Could the cloudiness be from the added water? I did mine without water.
I'm fairly certain It's the sugar. will be tasting them later this week. :-)
Havenor
Novice

Post by Havenor »

It could be the various qualities of the coconut sugar. I've notice different brands being quite different. The one I've used is cheap stuff from the local Job Lot, but they did have other stuff that looked more like a brown sugar for cooking. The stuff I used I'd probably never use for cooking, not overly sweet.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Kept some Crow's Rum white to enjoy, and this toasted coconut sugar is a fine addition.
Nice complement to the turbinado tones of Crow's.