Help me With Jimbo's Single Malt Question?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Help me With Jimbo's Single Malt Question?

Post by fizzix »

Jimbo's thread is locked.
[Reference: Jimbo's Single Malt]
I have not done this recipe, but I'm having trouble understanding the process.
There's but one malt. Does that grain supply both the sugars AND the enzymes?
I'm new and just getting my mind around these wonderful recipes. This one befuddles me though how it works.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Help me With Jimbo's Single Malt Question?

Post by jb-texshine »

Malted barley not only contains enzymes but also starches that convert to sugars at mash temp.
It's actually probably the easiest recipe here honestly. This or all molasses rum. All you do is add hot water.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

OK. I mean it HAD to be that way, but it seemed like voodoo.
Thank you jb-texshine!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

fizzix wrote:Jimbo's thread is locked.
I'm new and just getting my mind around these wonderful recipes. This one befuddles me though how it works.
Try this one its not locked and has plenty of feedback http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48650

AC
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks, AC. That one's got a LOT of info!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

while it may seem easy on the surface, all malt with no pasteurization has it's own pitfalls.

malt will also carry a host of bacteria that will proliferate and stall the mash. It is imperative to cool the mash after conversion is complete as quickly as possible and pitch a large, healthy yeast starter to find success.

i noted on another thread....i recently stalled 2/5 identical mashes where i mashed in at 150* F and the only explanation i can find is bacterial infection. i hit my temps, ph and time for HTL, GL and sebflo, but neglected a starter opting for pitching dry yeast...and i pitched .5 g per l, so it's not like i under pitched them.

anyway...follow the recipe! not as easy as it sounds... all malt is a breeding ground for all manner of nasties. But also a great place to make esters and have some fun.

good luck! let us know how you make out.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

fizzix wrote:Jimbo's thread is locked.
Happy New Year Fizzix!
I have read Jimbo's recipe's for all grain (particularly Wheated Bourbon/Gumball) enough to make my eyes bleed
but remember I am a N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B !

I've had questions and I don't think Jimbo lives on the forum like you and me so it might take a while to get an answer from him.
I ASSuME the malt takes care of the enzymes. However, since I malted my own wheat and barley, I didn't know how efficient they were.
So I added alpha amalyse to corn and boiling water in my cooler. Let it sit overnight then added water to bring it down to about 160F (?) I added my wheat, stirred it up then added my barley. Closed the lid and let it reduce temp slowly down to 90 F when I added the bread yeast (still maybe too hot).

I don't think I've answered your question but based on reading, I think you're good as is. However, I would cover my noob ass and throw some enzymes in there.

Can't wait to hear your results!
:mrgreen:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Using 23 gallons of water and 40 gallons of American wheat when properly mashed will yield a SG of 1.056 while a American Roasted Barley of the same quantity will produce an SG of 1.049. Plenty of convertable starches for the enzymes of the same grains to begin breakdown! It's beauty is in it's simplicity!!! :mrgreen:

With the majority of carbohydrates of wheat and corn being starches comparing the two shows that per 100 grams of each grain: Wheat is nearly 71 grams and corn is near 20 grams... Way more starch in Wheat than corn making it a great likker substrate!

The second best part of Jimbo's thread: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Yeah Bamaberry. I just read that enzymes are OK: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7230121
Great help all youse guys! Much appreciated and the voodoo doll goes back in the shoebox until the next mystery recipe!
Meanwhile, back to Page 6 of that thread...
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

HDNB wrote:while it may seem easy on the surface, all malt with no pasteurization has it's own pitfalls.

malt will also carry a host of bacteria that will proliferate and stall the mash. It is imperative to cool the mash after conversion is complete as quickly as possible and pitch a large, healthy yeast starter to find success.

i noted on another thread....i recently stalled 2/5 identical mashes where i mashed in at 150* F and the only explanation i can find is bacterial infection. i hit my temps, ph and time for HTL, GL and sebflo, but neglected a starter opting for pitching dry yeast...and i pitched .5 g per l, so it's not like i under pitched them.

anyway...follow the recipe! not as easy as it sounds... all malt is a breeding ground for all manner of nasties. But also a great place to make esters and have some fun.

good luck! let us know how you make out.
Somethings crossed my mind, could Camden tablets be added while mashing without affecting the enzymes or reducing the effectiveness of the Camden tablets? Could it be that simple?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!