Beet pulp with molasses

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Beet pulp with molasses

Post by Hilltop »

Today I went to the feed store to pick up some chicken feed, I glanced to my left and saw these very large bags that contained nothing but sugar beet pulp and molasses. Has anyone ever tried this stuff? Evidently people are feeding it to older horses. Those sacks are big as two corn sacks, but to my surprise it only weighs 40 lbs. I assume big sugar has extracted most of the sugar, but surely some remains.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Beet pulp with molasses

Post by HDNB »

the girls feed beet pulp to the horses. they wet it down and it expands exponentially. it smells really good, i've had the same thought of fermenting it.
i'd check into the sugar content to see if it's worth it. they (girls) say it's a fibre additive and helps put on weight, so there must be calories (sugar/carbs) in it if a cup or two a day will help put weight on a 1500lb animal.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Will let ya know HDNB as I bought one sack today, it's 16 bucks which is a bit steep. I'm sure most of the sugar is stripped. I've got to do some studying on this as sugar will have to be added, but how much? Im running some sour mash oat,corn and wheat malt now. When I get done I'm gonna mash the beet pulp.

I tasted it, it's sorta bland, not very sweet. It has molasses already in it. I'm definitely open to suggestions on this, as it's a new mash for me.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Sugar refineries are pretty efficient - I'd assume it is just about sugar free and add 1.75 lb per US gallon. The "molasses" will be beet molasses which I uderstand are somewhat different.

Other than that and a little acid and nutrient, I think if you just use it as is, you can make a decision as to whether to continue this way or to make adjustments next time.

Hope it works well 8)
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

It's a waste of money if no sugar is left Pikey, Certainly not worth the 16 bucks, I been so bowed up I haven't had time to look at it. If Sugar must be used at the normal amount I just don't see it as feasible.

Unless it imparts a wonderful taste.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

wikipedia sez:
Despite being a byproduct of sugar beet processing, beet pulp itself is low in sugar and other non-structural carbohydrates, but high in energy and fiber.[1] Among other nutrients, it contains 10 percent protein, 0.8 percent calcium and 0.5 percent phosphorus. It has no Vitamin A, so additional forage or supplementation is required to provide complete nutrition.[2]

8,5'-Diferulic acid is the predominant diferulic acid in sugar beet pulp.[3]

Sometimes molasses is added to improve palatability

there is a distillery here that uses beets and makes a product call "brum" (beet rum) that gets good reviews. maybe worth a shot at adding the sugar back.

now i drink for evil.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

HDNB wrote:wikipedia sez:
Despite being a byproduct of sugar beet processing, beet pulp itself is low in sugar and other non-structural carbohydrates, but high in energy and fiber.[1] Among other nutrients, it contains 10 percent protein, 0.8 percent calcium and 0.5 percent phosphorus. It has no Vitamin A, so additional forage or supplementation is required to provide complete nutrition.[2]

8,5'-Diferulic acid is the predominant diferulic acid in sugar beet pulp.[3]

Sometimes molasses is added to improve palatability

there is a distillery here that uses beets and makes a product call "brum" (beet rum) that gets good reviews. maybe worth a shot at adding the sugar back.
I wonder if they sell it around here - That would fit in pretty well with my low carb high protein diet ! :D
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Im gonna steam the stuff and add 50 lbs sugar and a gallon of molasses and see what it will do. It's a huge sack as the stuff is fluffy. I walked out in the cold with a flashlight away from my warm still just to get Pikey the name brand.

Dang I'm pissed as I swear it's name is " Beet Pulp Shreds with Molasses!!" Lol! All I can tell ya Pikey is it's got a pic of two big fine horses on the front running, so it's got plenty of protein. It's made by Midwest Agri.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hilltop wrote:Im gonna steam the stuff and add 50 lbs sugar and a gallon of molasses and see what it will do. It's a huge sack as the stuff is fluffy. I walked out in the cold with a flashlight away from my warm still just to get Pikey the name brand...............
Aahh - Bless ! x

I can't really comment on amounts of ingredients as I am extremely tight when it comes to them - due to the way I do my runs.

I don't think I'd add the extra molasses though - else how do you know whether to spend the 16 bucks next time ?
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Pikey wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Im gonna steam the stuff and add 50 lbs sugar and a gallon of molasses and see what it will do. It's a huge sack as the stuff is fluffy. I walked out in the cold with a flashlight away from my warm still just to get Pikey the name brand...............
Aahh - Bless ! x

I can't really comment on amounts of ingredients as I am extremely tight when it comes to them - due to the way I do my runs.

I don't think I'd add the extra molasses though - else how do you know whether to spend the 16 bucks next time ?
On the bag it says Molasses content is only 1%, figure I may as well add some if it's gonna be rum. This is liable to be FrankenRum! Lol! It looks like chopped leather to me. Damnedest shit I ever made liqueur with.
Last edited by Hilltop on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

shredded may still have the sugar left in it. (whatever sugar a beet has) the pulp they get here is pelleted and hard until they soak it for a couple hours.

now i drink for evil.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I'm steaming it now, something catches my nose, it's a slightly earthy dirt smell. I sure hope that doesn't carry over. Be a bunch of white and brown sugar wasted. I don't taste it, but sure can smell it.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hilltop wrote:I'm steaming it now, something catches my nose, it's a slightly earthy dirt smell. I sure hope that doesn't carry over. Be a bunch of white and brown sugar wasted. I don't taste it, but sure can smell it.
Ah yes - I forgot about the smell ! - We used to have a beet-factory in our town and in winter, you could smell it as a choking sweet stench 3 miles away ! Completely unique smell - It always reminds me of winter pike fishing ! :D

Tell the neighbours you are making wine out of it ! Might have to bottle a few quarts of wash - just to let them sample it later.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

It has an earthy smell Pikey, reminiscent of dirt! Kinda worried about this, so I only made 30 gallon instead of a whole drum. I added 35 pounds white sugar and 8 pounds of brown and am hoping that overpowers dirt- beet leather. I can't believe how much this stuff swells up.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Hilltop wrote: I can't believe how much this stuff swells up.

HDNB wrote:the girls feed beet pulp to the horses. they wet it down and it expands exponentially.
told ya.

now i drink for evil.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Yeah you were right and then some, it must soak up it's entire weight in water. Better than a sponge. She's bubbling away happily this morning, but still smells like dirt.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I just can't get over the smell of this stuff, if I hadn't already put sugar in it I would dump it. It smells like dirt and feet! It's bubbling away nicely but some heavy squezzin will have to be made on this stuff. It just keeps soaking up the liquid. Somebody told me this stuff tasted like toasted Marshmellows. Not sure what they were smoking, but it ain't so!

I actually stuck my finger in this and tasted it, it's still to sweet to tell. It ain't worth 16 bucks in my opinion yet. But this wouldn't be the first time something didn't smell good that turned into a good drop. The proof will be in the pudding I guess, but I am not holding much faith in it.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Update, I pitched every bit of this stuff out, the deer won't even eat it. It's horrible. Don't try it.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hilltop wrote:Update, I pitched every bit of this stuff out, the deer won't even eat it. It's horrible. Don't try it.
Well like I said we used to have a beet factory in our town, so they grow beet local. I've often wondered aboutfermenting some of the root - I won't bother now - thanks for the heads up ! - Sad about your loss - both time and money :(
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Pikey, if you had access to real Beats it would probably be a different deal. The stuff in the bag is shreded, but smells like dirt. I think this stuff is the rotton mess there scooping up off the floor. I certainly wouldnt feed it to my horses.

Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Dont ask me to explain because I have forgotten the technical reason but I do remember reading at some stage that likker from beet is not a runner, so beet pulp is definitely not a runner. Sorry to pick this up too late, just came across the thread tonight, as otherwise I would have strongly advise to save your money on the sugar/molasses input. Anyway I hope it was not too expensive a learning experience. JD
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Jimy Dee wrote:Dont ask me to explain because I have forgotten the technical reason but I do remember reading at some stage that likker from beet is not a runner, so beet pulp is definitely not a runner. Sorry to pick this up too late, just came across the thread tonight, as otherwise I would have strongly advise to save your money on the sugar/molasses input. Anyway I hope it was not too expensive a learning experience. JD
I don't know why that would be.
White Sugar from beet tastes and ferments exactly the same as that from cane - although I don't think I have seen a recipe for "Beet wine" from Sugar Beet.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Jimy Dee wrote:Dont ask me to explain because I have forgotten the technical reason but I do remember reading at some stage that likker from beet is not a runner, so beet pulp is definitely not a runner. Sorry to pick this up too late, just came across the thread tonight, as otherwise I would have strongly advise to save your money on the sugar/molasses input. Anyway I hope it was not too expensive a learning experience. JD
It's funny you brought this thread back to life as I walked by the deer feeder where I poured this barrel of mess out and noticed some of it is still there!!! :esurprised: Apparently neither animal nor fly nor bugs eat this stuff!! Runner? You lost me there as I see where others make some fine rum with sugar beets, but your right my experiment was defiantly a learning lesson. What lesson was learned? Never use sugar beet shreds from the feed store as half the bag is dirt, the distillate tastes like dirt and nary a critter in the woods will touch it. This stuff goes down as my worst batch of liquer by far. Again who was it that said quality trumps price? This is left over shreds not fine quality Sugar Beets. I got what i paid for i guess, a bunch of bs swept up off the floor