Feints

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TomAherne64
Novice

Feints

Post by TomAherne64 »

Hi guys.. Still doing lots of reading.. trying to find an answer to a couple of questions.. apologies in advance if it's been covered before...
When you do an all feints run do you dilute with water before boiling ? and do you still lose the first 100mm or so..?
Just trying to get everything straight..
Tom.
Willing to learn
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Feints

Post by OtisT »

TomAherne64 wrote:Hi guys.. Still doing lots of reading.. trying to find an answer to a couple of questions.. apologies in advance if it's been covered before...
When you do an all feints run do you dilute with water before boiling ? and do you still lose the first 100mm or so..?
Just trying to get everything straight..
Tom.
AlWAYS dilute down your wash to something that is not flammable. I try to keep my wash below 35% ABV, which is a good distance from flammable.

YES, you will need to lose your Foreshots. The amount is not something you can predict with a feints run, so you should rely on your nose. The more Foreshots you dump on your previous runs, the less you will have to remove on your feints run, but you will always have some foreshots to remove.

Not to be too preachy, but please read the recommended threads for beginners, starting with Cranky's Spoon Feeding. The first question is extremely basic and tells me you have more reading to do before you start anything. Not intended as an insult. I'm just concerned for your safety.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

if you want a flavoured faints run, keep it under 40, if you want neutral keep it under 20.
if your faints are anytime like mine you'll have a much smaller keeper part than a normal run
Don't be a dick
TomAherne64
Novice

Post by TomAherne64 »

Rest assured I wont be doing anything without firstly getting all the facts... :thumbup: I have read all the links and threads was being a bit dumb really 8) was taking the "all feints run " literally as just the feints... :roll: .
I will be doing all my homework before doing anything... cheers for the feed back
Willing to learn
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

TomAherne64 wrote:Rest assured I wont be doing anything without firstly getting all the facts... :thumbup: I have read all the links and threads was being a bit dumb really 8) was taking the "all feints run " literally as just the feints... :roll: .
I will be doing all my homework before doing anything... cheers for the feed back
Brain fatigue and hobby excitement. I'm there with you.
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Good luck with the feints runs. I've actually found the feints runs to be quite a bit of a surprise. There is often a shift in flavor from what has come through in the original run. Sometimes the flavor is actually quite good. I know that many tend to run feints with high reflux to create a neutral, but I've been enjoying a sort of feints whiskey approach.

I run sugar-head runs of Death Wish Wheat Germ (DWWG) or Cornflakes, nowadays I've been combining the two, even throwing in some toasted malts. In the beginning, I was throwing away the feints... just trying to focus on the results of the main run. Eventually I realized how I was throwing a lot of good stuff away and I started collecting and running it. I follow the 40% diluting rule and run it through my Rad-Concentric with marbles as packing. I run full reflux while taking the fores and first heads and drop to partial reflux for the rest of the run for more flavor. I generally take the hearts after cuts and put them on oak.

One of my first feints runs came through with a lot of licorice flavor right out of the still, fading a bit after a few months on oak. I don't recall any licorice in the original run. I've been sipping on some feints I put up in November and there is a solid vanilla along with some good "mouth feel". I tend to like the lighter "Canadian Club" style whiskey, so maybe this three-time stilled (strip - spirit - feints) appeals particularly to me.

Good luck... don't throw them away!
TomAherne64
Novice

Post by TomAherne64 »

Will be experimenting with the feints in due course... All advice gratefully received :)
Willing to learn