Scorched mash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tnlynchmob
Novice

Scorched mash

Post by tnlynchmob »

So on my last run, I was gonna distill a rye recipe that I have been working on (but mostly failing!) Not gonna go into the details of the beer, at this time, but when fermentation had completed I was pretty excited about the beer it had produced. Got everything transferred to the pot and went for a stripping run.

I have an 8 gal reflux column, with a 2000w (120v) internal heating element. At first I tried bypassing the column condenser and just run it like a pot still, but that didn't seem to be working. Cooled it down, and set the reflux column back up. Once it started producing. I could tell the mash had scorched, but ran it all through. Saved some of the backset cause it just had a slight bit of smokiness to it that wasn't that bad. The heating element looked like a crusty barnacle, when I removed it, but cleaned off easily.

Question now, could I carbon filter the strip run and rerun it next go around, or is in unsalvageable?
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Scorched mash

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

chalk it up as experience
i would try that for the hell of it but wouldn`t say ur gonna ebd up with something great
get urself a thumper rig and steam strip the shit out of your mash
thats what i do now and it works great.clear corn mashes work great strippig like that.
but wheat and rye can be ```creamy``and having your clear in the primary and the cream in the thumper makes for good insurance
no scorching possible.
a bain marie also is good but most stillers have some sort of thumper
so why not find use for it :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Your not the first and won’t be the last...

Rye’s a bitch sometimes
tnlynchmob
Novice

Post by tnlynchmob »

Gotcha. Reflux has been great for neutral spirits, but transitioning into flavor carry over is the next step. Thanks for the advise!