Is my mash ready?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whitecap72
Novice

Is my mash ready?

Post by Whitecap72 »

Hi all. So I made up a 12 gallon sweet feed mash 8 days ago. I'm fermenting in a 20 gallon food grade garbage can. Been 60degrees in the garage pretty steady. When I pull the lid off and look at it, I can see it bubble every now and then, and there is a head of grain on top. What's the best way to tell if it's ready to distill? Never ran a feed mash before, only fruit washes.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by Soft batch »

Hydrometer, a cheap necessary investment! Short of that, if it's bubbling the yeast is still working - wait until it stops bubbling and the wash clears - the cap will sink.
60 degrees is too cool for most yeast - if you have a yeast that works at that temp, it will be slow.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Taste it if it's sour/dry it's done if it's sweet it's not. Fermenting at 60 F is sloooow even with ale yeast.

AC
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

+1 on watching for the grain cap to sink and for sure get a hydrometer. This might sound kind of silly but I would get a cheap stethoscope and just listen to the side of the fermenter. You'll hear it bubbling away and you'll notice and marked difference when it stops. If you're not deaf you can put your ear to it as well. It's fun to listen to but maybe I'm just easily entertained.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

I have a spirits hydrometer, and use it for proofing. What am i looking for to see if its done. I used bread yeast.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

You need a brewers (aka Mash) hydrometer, which measures sugar content (more or less).

See http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 61&t=42746

A spirit hydrometer measures the alcohol content AFTER distilling
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Ok, i have 1 of those too. I just took a reading with the spirits hydrometer and it was below the zero mark on the tralle lines. I tasted the mash too, and its not at all sweet..
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Bread yeast at 60 will take a couple months to ferment, if at all. It's optimum temp is low to mid 80's. You'll need to warm it up - aquarium heater, brew belt, heat lamp.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

If it's below zero, it is ready to go!
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

It was below zero on the spirits hydrometer. You thinks it's ready? It didn't taste sweet, and smells like beer wart.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Whitecap72 wrote:Ok, i have 1 of those too. I just took a reading with the spirits hydrometer and it was below the zero mark on the tralle lines. I tasted the mash too, and its not at all sweet..
s

I'd run it now.

AC
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I think it wise to find your brewer’s hydrometer and check the gravity for real.

I think you’re not done really, especially if it smells like a beer wort. If it was close to finished it would smell sour, like lemonade. So check it before racking to the boiler. And warming it up will give the brewers yeast a “kick in the seat of the pants”.

Do it right...you’ll be rewarded in the end.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

A spirit hydrometer is worthless in a wash, in an undistilled wash will always be below zero as it contains more than just alcohol and water.

Both hydrometers look similar but are completely different instruments. A spirit hydrometer is calibrated to measure the alcohol to water ratio in a solution with the assumption that the solution only contains water and alcohol (no sugars, starches, yeast, etc). A spirit hydrometer show a scale 0-100. Zero on a spirit hydrometer means it has no alcohol content.

A brewing hydrometer measures specific gravity (impurities) in relation to pure water - in our world, we are measuring sugar content. The scale on a brewing hydrometer is typically .990 to 1.200. 1.00 on brewing hydrometer means it is equal in density to pure water. A typical wash will actually go below zero when it's done fermenting due the solution containing water + alcohol(lighter than water) instead of water + sugars (heavier than water).

Technically the baseline 1.000 on the brewers and 0 on the spirit hydrometer are the same (pure H2O) - but are scaled in different directions.

Edited to correct baseline
Last edited by Soft batch on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Soft batch wrote:...Technically zero on both hydrometers are the same (pure H2O) - but are scaled in different directions.
Almost....water with a brewer’s hydrometer is 1.000 (or zero alcohol “potential”, I guess). But the point you’ve made is 100% correct. For the OP, a spirit hydrometer is the wrong tool to measure a ferment’s progress. A brewer’s hydrometer is the correct tool.

But to the OP, I really suspect you’re not done yet, so make sure you check the gravity with the right tool. You really can’t judge progress by the bubble activity, especially if you’re looking at the bubbles forming in the fermenter. If the wash is too cool to ferment, activity may slow down to a crawl. But you may still have more fermentable material in your wash and you don’t want to dump that down the drain because of a lack of patience.
ss
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Ok, so I found my brewers hydrometer. It came out at 1.021 is it ready to distill?
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

NO - should be 1.000 or below. You still have a good amount of sugars to ferment.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Ok, thank you. I'll wait it out. Time for a heater, or move my fermenter into the kitchen.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Whitecap72 wrote:Ok, thank you. I'll wait it out. Time for a heater, or move my fermenter into the kitchen.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Moved my fermenter into the corner of the kitchen, yeast should be happy again.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

having trouble finding the right way to search for this answer:

my Booner's casual is reading 0.000 but I'm still seeing bubbling activity. the cap fell and it appears to be cleaning (definitively separated already) but if it could go to .996 or .994 I'd feel much better as my SG was only 1.040 at 1.4 #/gallon.

Thoughts? I may also have still fatigue. I've run almost a dozen strips and a few spirit runs since November. Today is the best day I have to run it considering time constraints, but the way the top was bubbling, I don't want to leave any alcohol behind.
image25.jpg
Last edited by Honest_Liberty on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am having trouble finding the right way to search for this answer:

my Booner's casual is reading 0.000 but I'm still seeing bubbling activity. the cap fell and it appears to be cleaning (definitively separated already) but if it could go to .996 or .994 I'd feel much better as my SG was only 1.040 at 1.4 #/gallon.

Thoughts? I may also have still fatigue. I've run almost a dozen strips and a few spirit runs since November. Today is the best day I have to run it considering time constraints, but the way the top was bubbling, I don't want to leave any alcohol behind.
I left my bourbon on the grain for a week after it looked done on the hydrometer. Then racked and squeezed, and left it for another 2 to 3 weeks before I stripped it, and another three weeks before I ran the spirit run. Take a break. It will be there when you get back.
Last edited by Deplorable on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Whitecap72 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm Been 60degrees in the garage pretty steady.
If you make a little tent around your fermenter (I use reflective insulation) a light bulb should get it plenty warm enough. My building is steady at about 45*F right now and one 100W bulb on a drop cord is keeping a 20 gallon ferment at 78*.
Plain ole pot rig.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 pm I left my bourbon on the grain for a week after it looked done on the hydrometer. Then racked and squeezed, and left it for another 2 to 3 weeks before I stripped it, and another three weeks before I ran the spirit run. Take a break. It will be there when you get back.
You sanitized before you strained?
I'd be concerned with sanitation on the stuff I won't through the mop wringer, even though I greatly sanitize.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

When I squeeze, I spray down the mop wringer with star-san solution and leave it sit while I rack of the cleared wash into clean buckets also sprayed down with star-san.

Aside from a hot soapy water wash to remove any solids, that's all I do in the way of sanitization.
I make up a bucket full of solution to soak siphon hoses and racking pump.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You may get a lacto. But remember the brewer's motto. Nothing that can harm you will grow in fermented beer :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Limp
Novice

Post by Limp »

I’m in the same situation. My mash has been fermenting for about 6 days now. My hydrometer reading was 0, but my mash is still
Bubbling. I used bread yeast. My mash is in my kitchen. My house stays at 74 degrees. After reading some of these reply’s, I wonder if I need to put a blanket around my fermenter and increase the temperature.