Advice needed fermentation in hot weather

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dingodog
Novice

Advice needed fermentation in hot weather

Post by Dingodog »

Hi all

So i live in Australia and its the middle of summer atm. Where im located the temp hasn't dropped below 28*c (night time temp) in the last few weeks an so far and has topped out at 43*c (day time temp still better than the low 50's we had hear last year that was just sh!t)

Im curious if anyone can share some tips and tricks or recommendations on fermenting in this kind of climate. Getting the feeling i should wait till autumn/fall when things cool down a bit.

I have seen turbo yeast marketed for hot conditions but after learning that turbo yeast can produce bad flavors i wanna try and steer clear from them. I have come across home made spirits (flavored neutrals) with a nasty taste/smell of old socks and moldy cardboard before and definitely dont want to replicate that.

Im new to all this so any help will be muchly appreciated.

I plann on starting out with sugar washes/ferments (to make neutrals) till i get it down pat an then move on to grains and fruits when im a little more experienced.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Advice needed fermentation in hot weather

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Might I suggest a basic bread yeast. It will work at those temps, altho' 43 might be a bit high. It will still work there, but won't be that happy.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Baker's (bread) yeast manages the heat quite alright here in FNQ!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Dingodog
Novice

Post by Dingodog »

Cheers so dont worry about using brewer's yeast, guessing it might be a little easier on the hip pocket to. Was thinking maybe trying to rigg up an esky/cooler as a fermenter might help keep the temp a little more stable.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dingo , I make Rum in summer because it likes it hot . Bundy ferment close to 40°C.
Make sugar washes like TPW ( birdwatchers) in Autumn and spring and Scotch in winter .
I used to fight it , now just go with it .

Use Bread yeast for Rums and sugar washes for sure . But Not for whisky .
And Turbo yeast for Fuel production
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use an aquarium temp. which allows you to add a fan. Since posting this thread I added a fan to the wiring as I needed it last summer. See link below.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=25475
Dingodog
Novice

Post by Dingodog »

Awesome so brew my
Rums in summer (like my my rums :D ).
Neutrals/sugar washes in spring and autumn.
Scotch/gains in winter (using brewer's yeast, yeah i dont mind a wee dram)

And work with the weather/seasons

Thats some solid advice yummyrum thanks :thumbup:

Get myself a aquarium temp regulater thingy rigg up a decent fan to it. (Sounds fooking cheap to $25) loving the idea

Cheers bushman thats helps me alot

Feeling a little more confident about things now.

Recently discovered i can get those 220 liter food grade plastic barrels for $30 each at the local farm supply place in town. Probably a bit over kill but hey talk about a bargen. They have been used but inly for pickles or olives. Gonna grab a couple for when my skills improve
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Pick up an old fridge and one of those $30 temp controllers.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Twisted Brick wrote:Pick up an old fridge and one of those $30 temp controllers.
Good suggestion - I've got an old chest freezer for winter ferments and an incubator top as a heater - keeps at a fairly constant 100F (38C ?) - Bread yeast just devoured 5kg sugar in a 25 litre wash in 4-5 days.

If I had the OP's problem, I'd leave the lid open and just close it at the very hottest part of the day maybe. That is all the temp control I'd bother with.
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

Distillers yeast--it loves the heat, and not too expensive. Can handle temps into the 90sF and high alcohol. Whether its worth it over bakers yeast probably depends on what you are making--flavor and abv of the wash.

But you are talking highs around 40C, so find a cool spot, or a hole in the ground for your fermentation.

50C? You are on your own there.

Stay Thirsty, JW