Sanity check, please.

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Sanity check, please.

Post by Texas Jim »

After a few years away, I'm planning my first mash. I used to do all grain mashes exclusively, so I have experience with them. Unfortunately, the memory is the first thing to go, so I forgot almost everything I knew. So, I've been reading and studying for a couple weeks now and think I have a plan. I'd appreciate it if you all could take a look at this and let me know if you see any mistakes or forgotten steps. Thanks.

I know that using the malt and the enzymes are redundant, but I wanted to follow the JD mash bill and the enzymes are my safety net. I plan on fermenting on the grain.

Bourbon Recipe

Mash Bill (Jack Daniels mash bill) – 50# corn, 5# rye, 7.5# barley
1. Prep 25 gallons of water for mashing. Use 150mg of Vitamin C to eliminate chlorine. Adjust pH to 5.6-6.5 using calcium carbonate or citric acid as needed.
2. Add SEBStar Alpha (0.36 ml/lb or 18ml total) and corn.
3. Bring to 190 F.
4. Transfer to cooler and let sit at temp for at least 90 minutes.
5. Add cool water to get to 145-150 F.
6. Check pH again. Set to 4.8 - 5.2.
7. Add malted barley and rye and SEBAmyl-Gluco (0.36 ml/lb or 18ml total).
8. Perform iodine test after an hour. Let sit until all starch is converted.
9. Cool to 68-90 F. Total water added should be 37 gallons. Check pH (4.8-5.2) and pitch 50-80g of Fermentis SafSpirit American Whiskey Yeast.
10. Drain and Distill.
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Sanity check, please.

Post by HDNB »

recipe looks good. id suggest a bit of sebhtl (say 10ml) on the way up to 190. let it cool to 185 and add the rest. (say 15 ml) it may be an overdose, but it's cheap so go nuts.

dont forget to stir a bit.

pitching at 90 will get you further faster then at 68
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

HDNB wrote:recipe looks good. id suggest a bit of sebhtl (say 10ml) on the way up to 190. let it cool to 185 and add the rest. (say 15 ml) it may be an overdose, but it's cheap so go nuts.

Sebhtl is the same as the SEBStar I'm adding in step 2, right?

The temp range for the yeast is what is on the packet. I probably can't get it to 68 anyways - it is Texas after all.

Thanks for looking it over.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Texas Jim wrote:Sebhtl is the same as the SEBStar I'm adding in step 2, right?
I can't speak for HDNB, but I read it as the same..

Your grain bills is a little on the light side, 37 gal for 62.5 lbs gives you 1.6 lb/gal.. to get favourable flavour, 2 lbs is what most shot for.. so you may want to cut back some on the water, say 30 gal overall..

Otherwise, you are good to go.

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

+1 Recipe will work great especially when using the enzymes.

I usually add corn at about 140-150 and throw in a little Sebstar (maybe 1/3 the total) as it heats up to keep it flowing. I also take the corn a little higher (200 ish) and cook a little longer (near 120 min) since the cracked corn I mill is sometimes difficult for the water to penetrate and hydrate. YMMV.

You don't need the Vitamin C but it certainly won't hurt. I have city water and never had an issue, plus heating the water should basically "burn off" any chlorine.

If you're making 25ish gallons of mash, you may want a yeast starter to increase the colony count and get the yeast up to speed. I usually make a 250-300 ml starter.

I usually use brewersfriend to mock up my mash and get the proportions right before I even start: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Good Luck TJ - sounds good! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Texas Jim wrote:
HDNB wrote:recipe looks good. id suggest a bit of sebhtl (say 10ml) on the way up to 190. let it cool to 185 and add the rest. (say 15 ml) it may be an overdose, but it's cheap so go nuts.

Sebhtl is the same as the SEBStar I'm adding in step 2, right?

The temp range for the yeast is what is on the packet. I probably can't get it to 68 anyways - it is Texas after all.

Thanks for looking it over.
Yes, SEBstarHTL is the full name. the High Temp. Liquifaction enzyme. their step 1, your step 2.

SEB amylGL is the saccrification enzyme.is their step 2, your step 7
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

Well, I finished the mashing and pitched the yeast. Ended up with a SG of around 1.07, passed the iodine test. Yeast seems to be very happy - bubbling along.

I learned a few things - I need a wort chiller, the wine press was amazing, and I'm going to start researching steam.

And I had forgotten how good everything smells - the fresh corn, the mash, the yeast, everything.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulation.. you've got the first part under your belt, now on to the second part, and finally the third part, and you'ill have a very fine whiskey..

Not that hard after all, just need to make notes and follow them, and the results are there..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

rgreen2002 wrote:
You don't need the Vitamin C but it certainly won't hurt. I have city water and never had an issue, plus heating the water should basically "burn off" any chlorine.
Check your local city’s website for a water analysis report and make sure your city is not using chlorimide instead of chlorine. You can’t boil it off and it won’t gas off. Need to add campden tablets to remove it all.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/remov ... from_water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

Pesty wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:
Check your local city’s website for a water analysis report and make sure your city is not using chlorimide instead of chlorine. You can’t boil it off and it won’t gas off. Need to add campden tablets to remove it all.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/remov ... from_water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Just ordered some - thanks!
Texas Jim
Swill Maker

Post by Texas Jim »

Pesty wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:

Also, according the the San Francisco water dept, Vitamin C will remove chloramine - http://www.sfwater.org/index.aspx?page=430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Texas Jim wrote:
Pesty wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:

Also, according the the San Francisco water dept, Vitamin C will remove chloramine - http://www.sfwater.org/index.aspx?page=430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Hadn't thought about Chloramine( I think you mean chloramine Pesty, but if not then disregard all of this).... :think: Mostly becuase AFAIK chloramine does not pose a real problem. Looking at the SF document that TJ just posted this is interesting:
Q: What are other simple methods to remove chloramine for drinking water purposes?

A: The removal of chloramine is not necessary from a public health perspective; however, some
customers may choose to remove chloramine for aesthetic reasons. Placing a few slices of fruit
(e.g., orange, lime, lemon, mango, strawberries) or vegetable (cucumber) in a water pitcher will
effectively dechlorinate the water within a few hours
...I mean aesthetically speaking I want my water to look beautiful.... but maybe a little too much worry? IMHO :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

I wish my city had a q&a like that SF article, that was very informative, thanks!

As far as using fruit, they’re talking about a gallon water pitcher using a medium sized orange for about an hour, I’ve got that in my fridge right now with some mint leaves and some blackberries.. no wonder that water always tastes so good.