Attempt at First Still (No Pics For Now)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stratstill
Novice

Attempt at First Still (No Pics For Now)

Post by Stratstill »

Hey there!

I´m taking a shot at making my first still. Got limited hands-on experience but didn´t want to make anything too small to make cuts. So I got myself a 5 gallon SS stock pot and some 1/2" copper tubing, but the thing is I don´t trust myself enough to attempt installing a proper riser. Is the 1/2" tubing going to be enough or is it absolutely necessary to install a riser for a boiler of this size?

Thanks so much for your help guys!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Attempt at First Still (No Pics For Now)

Post by acfixer69 »

No 1/2 " is the minimum but What is the condenser you will use and what is your heat source btu's or watt's going to be.
Stratstill
Novice

Post by Stratstill »

acfixer69 wrote:No 1/2 " is the minimum but What is the condenser you will use and what is your heat source btu's or watt's going to be.
For the condenser I will use a 5 gallon bucket filled with ice or water (the bucket has a tap installed for the water to flow). For the heat source I was planning on using a gas burner.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

I am brand new here and don’t know a whole lot but from what I have been reading a 2” riser will work a lot better. You have a lot of capacity but it seems the 1/2” tubing is a serious bottleneck that you will quickly outgrow. If it has to be 1/2@ though then install it in a place on the lid where you can upgrade it later if you desire.

Good luck
Please post pics when you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stratstill
Novice

Post by Stratstill »

Mike6090 wrote: I am brand new here and don’t know a whole lot but from what I have been reading a 2” riser will work a lot better. You have a lot of capacity but it seems the 1/2” tubing is a serious bottleneck that you will quickly outgrow. If it has to be 1/2@ though then install it in a place on the lid where you can upgrade it later if you desire.
A 2" riser would certainly work better, but I really don't think I have the resources or skill to install it. I just wanted to know if a 1/2" tube from lid to output is worth the effort, or if it may even get dangerous because of the pressure (I probably wouldn't hesitate so much if the boiler was smaller). Also wandering if maybe a 3/4" or bigger tubing is the best way to go (taking into account I already bought the 1/2" tubing).
As always, thanks so much for your help!
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Do not use ice, any time you would consider this just get a larger reservoir instead.

You might consider adding an additional condenser if hot product output was your reasoning for needing ice.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

1" pipe and use flour paste to seal the joints, it looks like crap but will hold.
1/2" Is too small for a riser coming off the still and has the capability to build too much pressure and could blow the cap off and scald you badly.

As mentioned, dont put ice in a worm barrel! Just bad news in spite of what the "you tubers" say or do!
Instead, use a larger barrel and I'm sure some will say make a different condenser like a liebig but my self, I love my worm but I have it in a 55 gal drum.

There are many threads on what you're looking for and descriptions on how to build in detail, if you plan to continue this hobby for the long haul I'll suggest to do a little more research on some of the subjects inorder to have a full grasp on what needs to be done to make a better product and be safe while doing it.

Shine0n
Stratstill
Novice

Post by Stratstill »

Shine0n wrote:1" pipe and use flour paste to seal the joints, it looks like crap but will hold.
1/2" Is too small for a riser coming off the still and has the capability to build too much pressure and could blow the cap off and scald you badly.

As mentioned, dont put ice in a worm barrel! Just bad news in spite of what the "you tubers" say or do!
Instead, use a larger barrel and I'm sure some will say make a different condenser like a liebig but my self, I love my worm but I have it in a 55 gal drum.

There are many threads on what you're looking for and descriptions on how to build in detail, if you plan to continue this hobby for the long haul I'll suggest to do a little more research on some of the subjects inorder to have a full grasp on what needs to be done to make a better product and be safe while doing it.

Shine0n
Thanks for the advice!
I´ve been reading as much as I can, the thing is it never seems to be enough and sometimes there are mixed opinions about things (for example, on this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56958 someone actually said a 1/2" tubing from lid to output was possible). But don´t worry, I´m quite convinced now that a wider riser is the way to go. I think I will get me a 1 1/2" one (maybe 2"), check out as many soldering (this calls for silver soldering, right?) threads as I can so as not to screw up its installation and then join it to the 1/2" tube for the worm. Will take more time and effort but I can see that it´s the way to go if you want to make things right, and I really don´t want to end up with a shitty product.
I´ll make sure to keep you posted. Thanks guys.

Strat
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Mike6090 wrote:I am brand new here and don’t know a whole lot but from what I have been reading a 2” riser will work a lot better. You have a lot of capacity but it seems the 1/2” tubing is a serious bottleneck that you will quickly outgrow. If it has to be 1/2@ though then install it in a place on the lid where you can upgrade it later if you desire.

Good luck
Please post pics when you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 2" riser is not necessary. It is a pot still and makes no difference it is going 1/2" anyway.

Please remove the Tatatalk advertisement before posting

AC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have to disagree with that ac, there's no way you can tell me that 2" or even 1" isn't better for the long haul than straight 1/2" coming off the top of a still. That's just silly!

If you make a 2" pot head and reduce it to 1/2" At the liebig in which most here use and use ferrules or unions to join it it can be later used on a sanke keg without mods.
C'mon man
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Shine0n wrote:I have to disagree with that ac, there's no way you can tell me that 2" or even 1" isn't better for the long haul than straight 1/2" coming off the top of a still. That's just silly!

If you make a 2" pot head and reduce it to 1/2" At the liebig in which most here use and use ferrules or unions to join it it can be later used on a sanke keg without mods.
C'mon man
You can disagree OK, and you have already said there is no way you can be told. But he asked if he had to put a larger riser on a 5 gal boiler. He does not need too. As for building a head for a sanke keg the man said he don't have the cash. Of course your way would be nicer but he wasn't asking that. So what the hell is the difference of coming off a few inches higher with a larger diameter. Nothing.

AC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I guess my last post was deleted? It's probably better as it was off topic anyhow.

1/2" Coming right off the lid has more potential to clog and cause problems if you don't get all the grains and some do make it though.

Now a 1" will give you more room in case you puke to not cause a problem, if you only make the riser 6" high you might have issues but 12" high will serve you better.

I still think it does matter even if it's just a pot still as I run a pot still and never thought of "only" 1/2" and even though my condenser is 5/8" ID it's alot further away from the boiler so the possibility of clogging is pretty much slim to none.

Sure you can do it, I for one will not advice anyone to do so straight off the pot top, why try to flirt with disaster ifn you don't have to?!?!

I know about budgets, I hit the local scrap yard for piping, boilers, so on and so on. Don't be in a rush to make likker, take the time needed to build correctly, you'll get there sooner than later.

Soldering isn't hard at all, just like making likker and do some research and practice some on some scrap after you have your still mocked up.

Good luc, Shine0n
brewer24
Novice

Post by brewer24 »

acfixer69 wrote:
Please remove the Tatatalk advertisement before posting

AC
What's the deal where this? I've never seen any other forums care about it.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

It is advertising and is not allowed here. Thanks for asking.

AC