Steam rolled barley

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Steam rolled barley

Post by Shine0n »

I stopped in the feed store and of course looking for grains, the selection is slim right now and without asking and sounding like a stiller I got got them to answer some questions and they had some steam rolled barley so I thought hey... yup I'm getting some as they didn't have any rolled oats so I grabbed a 50 lb sac.

Having never used them I started my research here and found some very useful info.
Seems like I still need to run the grain thru a mill since the steam rolling only softens the grain to roll it and it's still a whole grain. That kinda messed me up as I have no mill, if it were flaked and steam rolled it would be fine as is.

Maybe a little reading before hand was in order, oh well I own them now and I'll make the best of this situation.

A thread from 2012-2014 started by Jimbo along with big-R MCH, brutal, incognito and a few others is the best yet I've read about the rolled grains. Very informative!

I have no mill as mentioned so what I'll do is make a small 5 gal batch to test and see if I can go without a mill (yet)
I'll boil 5 gallons of h20, drop in 5 lbs steam rolled barley, 2 lbs cornmeal, Let that rest insulated until 150°f then 2 lbs 2 row malt.

I want to see if the long rest will make the barley open to the malt enzymes for mashing. I will use my sharpened mud mixer to try and break up the barley while mixing and aerating.

If all goes well I'll be putting down a 45 gal mash sometime soon, if not I'll be buying a mill to grind the rolled barley. I guess I need one anyway but I don't want to buy yet ifn I don't need to. lol

Hope someone will come along and set me right as I want an all barley mash but I'll wait till I get some positive feedback or find out by research.

I'll conduct this experiment this weekend and post results or if someone with first hand knowledge stops me first that's what I'll do.

Shine0n
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Steam rolled barley

Post by firewater69 »

I use crimped oats quite a bit and they seem to do fine, I've never tried rolled barley as I can't find it here. I would imagine there's not much difference in the process of the two, but I don't know for sure, I'm interested to see how this works for you Shine, good luck!
Edit: the oats I buy looks like they've been run through knurled rollers as they have a diamond pattern on them and they break up pretty easy.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey ShineOn, did you catch this one by shadylane?
rtalbigr talks about grinding it to flour. You could do that in a blender if you have no mill.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a grinder but if not you can always smash them. Personally I would do one or the other from fizzix links.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks fizzix, I forgot to mention that thread in my op, I did read that as well.
I was afraid of having to grind them after reading those posts and had already bought the SRB.

Is what it is I suppose, I'll just have to do what needs to be done. Looks like I'll be using the magic bullet for this and should be quick as I'm not going to flour, close but not quite.

I'll be fermenting and stripping on the grains and using the no cook method for mashing.

Well see how she goes :thumbup:
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I just used some in a sugar wash. I wanted to break them up a bit and put some into my little blender (like a magic bullet), but it was hard going and I gave up.
Wasn't crucial, as I was doing a sugar wash, but I think if I had to, I'd take it to someone else to mill for me.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm headed out today to buy one, thanks erbody!!!
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

ShineOn, Iv signed up to this thread. Keep the info and developments coming please. I tasted an all barley white dog at a distillery tour last summer and it was superb. I am making a steam stripper rig and once made an all barley is a must. Best of luck with it. Jimy D
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks Jim, with the party yesterday I didn't have time today to mash it in but rain is headed our way tomorrow and I may be off sooo....

I have a 40 gal boil pot just for water so that should get me the amount needed for this mash. I've still not located a mill so the blender is looking like what I'll use for now.

The one I did find is a nice mill that my brew shop uses but it's 1.5 hours north and I'm headed south. lol

I'll get there soon enough and for 150.00 it better be a damn good one.

I did start gen 2 of the corn and barley and a 30 gal rum ferment.
Slowly getting along!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I dump my steam rolled barley in with the corn after the corn gels. I use high temp HTL enzyme and power stir with a drill and paint mixer until the barley swells and breaks up. The corn and barley thin up real nice. Then I cool down with backset and wait till the temp is ready for the malts. Never have a problem.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I'm going to do a one or possibly 5 gallon test batch with 2lbs/ gallon, run through my roller Mill and kitchenaid mill attachment. Alpha and beta/gluco enzymes

I'll update tomorrow when I have have l results.
I'm going to attempt a sparge... Maybe... Once I see what I'm up against.

Off to research toasting steam rolled barley
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

You don’t need to mill it.

🎱
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm Off to research toasting steam rolled barley
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 34&t=73053

🎱
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

8Ball wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm You don’t need to mill it.

🎱
Well shit. Too late:
image8.jpg
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste