Anyone ever "double" mash corn?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KOfarms
Novice

Anyone ever "double" mash corn?

Post by KOfarms »

Now that I got my still straightened out, getting good taste from uncle jessies I decided to move onto some all grain.

For a couple months now I have been making some really good drink and get more excited every batch. I have been malting my own wheat, using about 7 lbs of ground corn and 2 lbs of wheat malt into 4 gallons of water. Fermenting on grain. Doing this x4 so about 20 gallons of mash, 15 gallons of wort. Gravity always comes out 1.045 +/- which I think is acceptable. I could probably get a little more corn into the mash but not a lot more. I bought some high temp amylase to thin my mash a bit while I am working it, but that is kind of cheating the challenge of AG.

I took a break and made a batch of rum and it was so nice to get the high yield from the sugar wash. It does get a little tiring with the all grain to strip so much wort and get so little yield at 6%, so I decided to add some sugar to the last batch. I brought it up to about 1.08 with sugar and while the flavor was a little lighter it still tasted good, no off flavors.

So this time I decided to try raise the yield but without the sugar. I mashed everything, after a few hours of conversion I strained all the grain out, sent all my sugar liquid back to the mash kettle and repeated the process. After the second mash I ended up with 1.09 gravity which I figure should give me around 12% yield or so. I am really excited to get more yield but not sure what to expect for flavor. Anyone else ever try this?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone ever "double" mash corn?

Post by fizzix »

I can't think of why it would taste any different than if you used the enzymes again or had upped the malt. Those would also get you the higher gravity, so you're just doing more work "doubling."
The yeast meanwhile are just watching you and smacking their lips waiting for the pitch. They don't rightly care HOW you get the sugars.
I would be surprised if there's any flavor impact other than just more "bite".
KOfarms
Novice

Post by KOfarms »

Do you think I could get to 12% in a single AG mash?
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

KOfarms wrote:I bought some high temp amylase to thin my mash a bit while I am working it, but that is kind of cheating the challenge of AG.
I once as a kid was watching a movie and saw somebody shoot a guy in the back. I start out saying I would never do that it's a punk move, shoot him face to face. My old man looked at me and said "well do you want him dead or not, Front back side whatever you're Killin him".

Same goes for enzymes imo, doing the same thing just better conversion and waaaaaay less work. It's still ag and tastes the same.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

KOfarms wrote:Do you think I could get to 12% in a single AG mash?
Sure. With enough sugars you can push it to the tolerance of your yeast. But more doesn't necessarily mean better.