Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whitecap72
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Whitecap72 »

Mash is ready, will be distilling tomorrow. I didn't know honey would lengthen ferment time, should be tasty. I'll post my results tomorrow.
john442
Novice

Post by john442 »

Still Life wrote:
Wingpilot66 wrote:On this recipe, is a stripping run recommended or just do a spirit run?
I do a strip and spirit. Seems to be mellower that way for me.
Hello all !,
Read through the entire thread, just made my first batch of this and it has settled for a week and am ready to run.
I have a "moonshine Distillers 3 inch that can be a pot still or a reflux unit with a 2 foot removable column.

My quesion is about the actual stripping run, is there any benefit to having a little copper mesh in the still head ?
Also , is there any benefit on having the 2 foot tower extension in place?

Cheers
John442
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Just got my first gallon distilled, 110 proof and great corn flavor. This is by far the cheapest and easiest recipe I've made yet. I'm not going to even age on oak. The second gallon should taste even better, I'm guessing around 90 proof. I'll post the results.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

Second gallon at 80 proof. Gonna distill another half gallon for backseat and shut her down. Great recipe.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Don't dismiss the oaking entirely. Maybe make some more for oak aging as I can tell you it REALLY improves after just 8 months.
I've been accused of passing off top shelf whiskey as my own when I mention it's cornflakes.
Whitecap72
Novice

Post by Whitecap72 »

I've been oak aging almost all of my Sweet feed whiskey lately, but I really like the corn and honey flavor of this recipe. Just gonna leave it as whitedog.
john442
Novice

Post by john442 »

john442 wrote:
Still Life wrote:
Wingpilot66 wrote:On this recipe, is a stripping run recommended or just do a spirit run?
I do a strip and spirit. Seems to be mellower that way for me.
Hello all !,
Read through the entire thread, just made my first batch of this and it has settled for a week and am ready to run.
I have a "moonshine Distillers 3 inch that can be a pot still or a reflux unit with a 2 foot removable column.

My quesion is about the actual stripping run, is there any benefit to having a little copper mesh in the still head ?
Also , is there any benefit on having the 2 foot tower extension in place?

Cheers
John442
anyway
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Hello, just started mt first batch of CF over the weekend. I did not read Odin's warning about going over 8.5% ABV in the wash until today when scouring this thread. I haven't heard of this quirk before now, what exactly happens in the wash above 8.5% to give the "spicy" flavor to the final product?

I have successfully made Odin's rye bread whiskey, and the distillate did have a spicy taste, but a pleasant one that I attributed to the rye. My wash was about 10.5% ABV on that run.

My current cornflakes wash should be closer to 12% this time, but I am using champagne yeast which can supposedly handle 18% without difficulty. Wash was 6 gallons with a OG of 1.08. Should I split my wash and dilute to avoid any off flavors?

Thanks!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

oakgriff wrote:Hello, just started mt first batch of CF over the weekend. I did not read Odin's warning about going over 8.5% ABV in the wash until today when scouring this thread. I haven't heard of this quirk before now, what exactly happens in the wash above 8.5% to give the "spicy" flavor to the final product?

I have successfully made Odin's rye bread whiskey, and the distillate did have a spicy taste, but a pleasant one that I attributed to the rye. My wash was about 10.5% ABV on that run.

My current cornflakes wash should be closer to 12% this time, but I am using champagne yeast which can supposedly handle 18% without difficulty. Wash was 6 gallons with a OG of 1.08. Should I split my wash and dilute to avoid any off flavors?

Thanks!
Please let us know how you get n with this oakgriff - I've just bought bothh the cornflakes and rye-bread to do both f these recipes - ad had not seen any "abv warnings " either and I normally run a little higher abv around the same as yours.
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Will do Pikey. Odin had stated on some of the earlier pages of the thread that going above 8.5% on the wash can give a burning or hot taste to the product. I was wondering if this was due to using bakers yeast to ferment. Figure might as well let mine run its course, don't mind a bit of a burn, and if it's garbage it only cost about 10 bucks to make.
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Update on the high gravity CF wash:

It's taking forever to ferment! Coming up on week number three now, its still bubbling away and the SG has only gone down a to about 1.03. Still a ways to go. I threw in some oyster shells to boost the pH (heard that was a common issue with sugar washes) and stuck a heating blanket around my carboy to hold the temp around 80F. I also boosted it with another packet of red star premier cuvee, yeast bomb style.

Hopefully the heating pad speeds thing up, I was planning on running this last weekend ha!

Not a hobby for those lacking in patience.

One question for those who have successfully made this likker, what kind of aging would you recommend? I'd imagine the corn flavor is gong to bring a sweetness to the end product, so oaking focused on sweetness and vanilla might be a bit overpowering. I am thinking of going for a dark char/dark toast oaking regiment to bring some smoky flavors out to compliment the corn. Any suggestions?
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Alright,

Back with an update, finally ran the CF wash! Quite happy with the results, produced a very smooth and tasty product with loads of corn flavor. Tails on this thing tasted like drinking the juice from a can of cream corn. Crazy. I did not seem to get the burning mouthfeel by going above 8% on the wash, but that might be attributed to the yeast I used, which was red star champagne yeast. It took forever to attenuate (almost a month, seriously), so I don't think it was really worth it. Could've ran 2 batches at 8% in that time period so meh. Currently aging on some heavily charred wine barrel staves, and its looking (and tasting) great.

Thanks Odin!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I've had Cornflakes Whiskey in #3 charred oak barrels for about 9 months now, and folks can't believe it's made with cereal.
The champagne yeast must be why it was so slow for you. I had used bakers yeast, and my batches were ready within a week.
Blackbeard
Novice

Post by Blackbeard »

What yeast did you use Odin, or have you experimented with for flavor? Bakers has a funny taste. A champagne or classic 8 maybe?

I'd be tempted to try a strong ale M42 yeast and swap the sugar or at least half of it for dextrose.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your post suggests that you are a brewer and that you have heard on a brewing forum that Bakers Yeast is no good. We are not making beer here.
Blackbeard wrote: Bakers has a funny taste.
Ive used bakers yeast for many things, Ive also used other yeasts as well, Ive never noticed a funny taste from Bakers yeast?
Blackbeard wrote:A champagne or classic 8 maybe?
Champagne style yeasts are generally used for fermenting fruits or for Vodkas and neutrals in distilling.
Blackbeard
Novice

Post by Blackbeard »

Hi Saltbush, you're quite right, perhaps I should have asked more about the flavors and choice of yeasts rather than describe bakers as having a funny taste. I was taken by this comparison on yeasts used in rum and have since been experimenting on how they affect taste (over yield) as I wasn't impressed with it in my last rum. I too use a lot of bakers yeast though I was unsure which yeast was used in this recipe. Rice wine vodka and cornflake whisky are the next two I mean to try and I wanted to be clear which yeast was preferable. :)
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

I use Bakers yeast for Brown spirits and ec1118 champagne yeast for fruit brandy and vodka.
Have used the fancy expensive whiskey yeasts and could not really tell the difference between that and the Bakers . :thumbdown:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Wasp_Box
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wasp_Box »

I've just made this wash. Wow! The smell is amazing. It's caramel and delicious.

If it tastes anything like it smells it's going to be great.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

The nose never lies ...
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Wasp_Box
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wasp_Box »

Well it worked with your gin too. That was lovely.
FelixxNZ
Novice

Post by FelixxNZ »

I purchased 2x500g bags of cornflakes and 3kg of sugar today. This is my first true run as I have a sacrificial run of turbo waiting to clean my still with.

Is 500g or 1kg cornflakes the business?

I have another kg of sugar in the cupboard and will be using bakers yeast.

Thank you.
FelixxNZ
Novice

Post by FelixxNZ »

I finished work early today. And began making this up
500g cornflakes. Pams brand
3.5kg white sugar
20l water
27g bakers yeast.

I put the yeast in a bowl with sugar and it took off.. foaming nicely

Mixed this into the 34deg C wash and it's doing is thing.

Will make the still over the next 8 nights. . I have a turbo wash ready to run thru first as a sacrificial run.

I have another bag of flakes and sugar to start fermenting as soon as I have some backset to add to it.

Thank you Odin

Note I edited this post hence the time stamp makes no sense
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are welcome.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

FelixxNZ wrote:
Will make the still over the next 8 nights. . I have a turbo wash ready to run thru first as a sacrificial run.
Wow, nothing like having a deadline to encourage the completion of the still......
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

FL Brewer wrote:
FelixxNZ wrote:
Wow, nothing like having a deadline to encourage the completion of the still......
I agree - 8)

We're rootin for ya Felixx :thumbup:
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Just had a whiff of my first gen that's been in bottle for one month, it smells amazing, can't wait to see how this develops after a years ageing.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Beerbrewer wrote:Just had a whiff of my first gen that's been in bottle for one month, it smells amazing, can't wait to see how this develops after a years ageing.
Beerbrewer, mine just hit a year in the barrel and it's glorious. People can't believe it's cornflakes.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

I'm jealous fizzix, ageing my 2nd Gen on JD chips at the moment, slowly building up a stock of whiskey, gin and vodka, hopefully add a rum to that as well. This, though, is going to be one of my cellar mainstays.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

FelixxNZ wrote:I purchased 2x500g bags of cornflakes and 3kg of sugar today. This is my first true run as I have a sacrificial run of turbo waiting to clean my still with.

Is 500g or 1kg cornflakes the business?

I have another kg of sugar in the cupboard and will be using bakers yeast.

Thank you.
I'd go with 1kg, you get more corn flavour and I usually go fairly deep into tails so you maintain it. The oak ageing will take care of any harsh notes, at least that's what I've got from my product, It is a matter of taste though.
FelixxNZ
Novice

Post by FelixxNZ »

Just put down 1kg cornflakes and 3.25 kg Sugar..
Will see if my uncomplex palate can taste the difference.