Chasing the wet dog.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mike6090
Novice

Chasing the wet dog.

Post by Mike6090 »

I have gotten pretty good at this of late and wanted to share a story. The trick to finding tails is being able to smell them and they don’t smell like wet dog or cardboard to me. What I found works is to take your inaugural sacrificial cleaning run and save it for posterity. If that’s 5 gal at 10% collected in 8oz jars it should break out like this. The first 8oz is foreshots and dangerous. The next 8 is marked jar 1 and clearly heads. (Well, it seems to be most of the time) Jar 2 might be hearts 3 and 4 are clearly hearts 5-6-7 your getting into tails and at 7 is likely tails. Seal these all up and revisit them in the morning. Check each jar with the alcoholometer and mark the first jar at 50%. Get a brandy sniffer from the antique store and use a 5cc syringe to measure out 5cc of water and 5 of your sample. Smell this and you can pretty easily determine which jar has the odd odor. Don’t worry too much if your not sure about one. If 5 smells like vodka, 6 is ok and 7 smells like something is clearly off you got your dog. Now mix that jar “7”with 50% water and marks it tails. Smell it every day for a week or two and use it as a reference for checking your samples as they come off the condenser. You can quickly educate your nose by having a good reference smell.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Chasing the wet dog.

Post by still_stirrin »

It depends on the wash...different ferments produce different smells (and tastes). Training is good, but there are no absolutes in this hobby. And experience is the best teacher.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Personally I can tell the smell of tails, but I would not call it wet dog. I have also found that smell is not as good an indicator as taste. Best to dilute and taste.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

In my limited experience I have no problem with identifying tails by smell and taste. However I am having trouble finding the break between late heads and early hearts. Late heads are very seductive and I have to take a wide cut to ensure I do not include too much heads. I hope with more experience I can id heads like I can with tails.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Mike6090 , I think your trick to bottle the stuff for reference is a good one . Certainly only having 7-8 choices will make cuts of a real run hard but having this many for training purposes is good :thumbup:
I also commend your dilution recommendation. ...I also endorse such methods Better Cuts with Better Dilution

I also concur with the Tails not smelling like wet dog or cardboard ....musty smell ...yeah I get that . Re-fluxed tails verses pot still tails are like chalk and cheese .Tails from a potty and even mildly refluxed still have the Musty smell ,once you get to 4 plates in flute or a packed Reflux still , then Musty is no longer and a very strong but nasty smell/taste like predominantly 1-Butanol prevails due to the compression .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree with yummy, very different animal comparing flavor from a pot still vs reflux.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Bushman wrote:I agree with yummy, very different animal comparing flavor from a pot still vs reflux.
more like wet squirrel?
Don't be a dick
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

When I started this hobby I could not tell the difference when running my pot and thumper. But the tails from my first run of the reflux still was like a kick in the butt - it was crystal clear. Good post and well worth adopting if smell evades you. Thanks.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

+1 Mike6090... I like this idea...especially for anyone new to the hobby, It will give them a very good idea what their looking for, considering most will have never smelled or tasted heads and tails, this is a good place for someone with no reference point at all to start. They may only need this for the first half dozen runs...then you'll have the know-how. Good thinking !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

In the last two weeks I have had two different groups who asked what a particular bad flavor was in a friends spirits and another craft distillery. I let them smell tails and they both said, that's it. It does appear that it is not obvious when you are into the tails for everyone.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051