Grief w a t500

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Grief w a t500

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

My wife thought she was getting me a great gift last xmas but in reality it was a $600 box of grief. So i got a t500 still spirts boiler and ss condenser. Thing runs 1600w. The first one i got leaked at the discharge valve. The store was great and got me a replacement quick. Now i still and continuously play w a finiky water flow adjuster. Apparently im told i should buy a 120 dollar unit that regulates constant flow. Very nice. Im already pissed enough i cant use rain water like my old faithful pot still i made (i miss her). I feel like im trying to learn guitar with 'guitar hero'. I cant say the product it makes is crap. Surprising enough , it leaves a bit of flavour. You deff have to make cuts useing this unit but im not sure how that works when temp is climbing and falling.
Is it me? Should i sell this on line? Any thought or tips would be great.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Grief w a t500

Post by still_stirrin »

freshwaterjellyfish wrote:...I feel like im trying to learn guitar with 'guitar hero'.
I’m told that the “guitar hero” guitar is much easier to learn than a real 6-string instrument. It just takes practice. Ditto the T500.
freshwaterjellyfish wrote:...I cant say the product it makes is crap...Is it me? Should i sell this on line?
Well, tell the missus you love her and ask if she’d be bothered if you “traded” the T500 for a different model. Then, build you a column (hint...VM’s are nice to operate).

Good luck with your future.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi, I also have a t500 bought it at Christmas before I found this site although I'm trying to get the parts together to make my own. There are some stuff about the t500 on this site if you look around.
The homebrew shop tried to sell me a similar thing to control water flow as I used to run mine from the mains supply if some one flushed the toilet it all went wonky, I now have a 200l drum with a pond pump and it is so much easier no longer shouting at missus to let me know if she's going to use the toilet and it now take a larger turn to adjust the water. Also an scr voltage regulator helps after it starts to boil I turn it down and you can control the spirit flow by the voltage regulator alone.
Hope this helps
Manc
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

You can get decent neutral (ish) out of a T500 I believe.

However, you can also use the T500 as a pot with adaptions.

I understand that the connector on the bottom of the column will take a 2" copper pipe and you can easily enough just knock up a "Pot head" using that method. (Yu WILL need to check the dimensions of the connector and pipe though, as I have never done it.

If that woorks ok, you can go further and do a "Boka" head - again easilly enough, or even a VM.

The T500 is not a "premium still" but is a good place to start and there is plenty of info on the site, although not much about "Adaptions" since most eventually just progress into building their own from scratch.

If it were mine, I'd definitely knock up a pot head and either use the attached Leibig, or make a different condenser for "flavoured spirits"

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater though. :)

I have to agree with Manc that a cheap chinese Triac power controller is convenient.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi as pikey writes you can use the hole in the top of the boiler lid. I bought a DN 40 male thread to 2inch Tri clamp adapter that's a perfect fit it was about £15 if you want a link just let us know it's from China so should ship anywhere

Manc
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi Manc - have you just made a "pot" attachment ? or a reflux as well ?

In either case, I'm sure the site would benefit from a THread about "How to adapt a T500 " telling of your experiences and solutions you came up with, if you would be so kind, as we get a lot of newbie T500 users and some of them would like to progress I think.

Pictures are always great in a thread like that too 8)
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi pikey

I'm still very new at this I only got the adaptor as of yet wanted to make sure it would work. I'd be happy to share my limited experiences so far.

I don't have any experience in metal work well not since I left school a long time ago so I tend to buy my solutions and at the moment looking at the Tri clamp solutions although I have a keg I've just acquired and do plan on adapting that.

If you think the bits I have could help which section should I post in I can provide photos

Manc
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

Pikey wrote:You can get decent neutral (ish) out of a T500 I believe.

However, you can also use the T500 as a pot with adaptions.

I understand that the connector on the bottom of the column will take a 2" copper pipe and you can easily enough just knock up a "Pot head" using that method. (Yu WILL need to check the dimensions of the connector and pipe though, as I have never done it.

If that woorks ok, you can go further and do a "Boka" head - again easilly enough, or even a VM.

The T500 is not a "premium still" but is a good place to start and there is plenty of info on the site, although not much about "Adaptions" since most eventually just progress into building their own from scratch.

If it were mine, I'd definitely knock up a pot head and either use the attached Leibig, or make a different condenser for "flavoured spirits"

No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater though. :)

I have to agree with Manc that a cheap chinese Triac power controller is convenient.
Ive been still'n for almost ten yrs mang. Im a bit beyond starter. Dont let the number of posts fool ya. My dunder pits so friggin sick yOud think i was an og nuttah. :twisted: I appreciate the advice nonetheless. Ive used a home made pot still that ive upgraded three times. With that being said - i am a beginner w a colomn still. Gonna look into it all. Thanx fellas :thumbup:
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

Ive been still'n for almost ten yrs mang. Im a bit beyond starter. Dont let the number of posts fool ya. My dunder pits so friggin sick yOud think i was an og nuttah. :twisted: I appreciate the advice nonetheless. Ive used a home made pot still that ive upgraded three times. With that being said - i am a beginner w a colomn still. Gonna look into it all. Thanx fellas :thumbup:[/quote]

I Ran a T500 for about 2 years but no matter what mash bill or sugar wash and different settings with the needle valve I tried it all tasted like garbage ,and I had been stillin and for drinkin fine home distilled products for years with home made pot stills before I had one ... so I understand what your saying ...Time to take a plunge and build one to your liking if you have the resources if not lots of good vendors on line just stay away from the china manufacturers
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Manc wrote:Hi pikey

I'm still very new at this I only got the adaptor as of yet wanted to make sure it would work. I'd be happy to share my limited experiences so far.

I don't have any experience in metal work well not since I left school a long time ago so I tend to buy my solutions and at the moment looking at the Tri clamp solutions although I have a keg I've just acquired and do plan on adapting that.

If you think the bits I have could help which section should I post in I can provide photos

Manc
It was just a thought mate - We get a lot of Newbies with T500s, wanting to make Brandy etc and as far as I know nobody has done a "How to" on adapting them in a non-destructive way to make them more versatile.

If you do decide to make the adaptions, I think it would be very welcome to post pictures and process as a new thread which we could refer them to. 8)

Anyway, see how you feel about it when you get it done, I didn't realise you were just starting down that path at the moment. I suppose you could start a thread now - with your thoughts and see if we can offer any help with ideas etc - but it's up to yu of course.

atb

P
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

frost021 wrote:I Ran a T500 for about 2 years but no matter what mash bill or sugar wash and different settings with the needle valve I tried it all tasted like garbage
You would be in the minority of users, most T500 owners can make a decent drop after a few runs and little bit of help regarding running them, they are not really rocket science to run......for what they are they are not a bad little still. The one I owned taught me the basics of how stills run/work , how different reflux ratios affect your spirit, and how to make cuts as well as a host of other things.