Don't run your Mash dry?

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Don't run your Mash dry?

Post by jon1163 »

Making pure corn whiskey, a professional guide for amateur and micro distillers by Ian smiley.

My buddy was telling me about this part of the book that talks about distilling no more than 96 hours after you pitch yeast. I read the book but it doesn't say why. Does anyone know anything about this? Here's the quote:

"As a general rule, a fermenting mash should be distilled as soon as the vigorous primary fermentation stops, or slows down to a spurious bubbling, regardless of how complete the fermentation is. So, unless the match is still fermenting vigorously it should be distilled after no more than 96 hours after adding the yeast".
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Don't run your Mash dry?

Post by pfshine »

If he was open fermenting outside he might have been worried about an Acetobacter infection.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

do you think it has anything to do with taste? I just put down a rye and during the first two days it smelled wonderful. Like spiced bread fermenting. Now that the alcohol has built up in the mash that smell has disappeared mostly...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I am not an expert, but past year I had my grain ferments for about a week, so quite longer than 96 hours. Maybe they had been better when I had run them earlier, but they were still fermenting.

A statement of such a kind without a reason, I would not believe without support.
I would prefer to run my mash dry, presuming I also get more taste. But maybe I am wrong. Please prove me!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

There are actually quite a few threads here that address running old wash/mashes. Just HD Google something like: year-old wash. A heap of guys have let their wash sit for months in an effort to clear them and reported no problem. Same for the guys who forgot to run their wash/mash. Course it helps if there's liquid in the airlock and the wash was stored at cold temps.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

This book is full of individual thoughts. Not like you learn in distilling school. Good or bad, perhaps you will find out sooner or later.
96h: This is a safety advice I think. No infections within such a duration. And with more time you won't get much more yield normally.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

There’s honestly all kinds of weird advice in that book. The main still he walks you through building is built out of a water heater, but he doesn’t talk about materials at all. I’ve never seen copper or stainless water heaters in the US.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That advice comes up frequently, I think the thinking behind that was a belief that fermenting longer would result in unwanted conegers or something like that. It may have been based on the way the large commercial distilleries do it. Either way I also believe that that statement has driven many newer distillers to worry aabout letting a ferment go long enough to actually finish even though the people here have proven that statement to be completely falsey tell people a ferment will finish when it finishes and it's best not to try to force things..
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Fear of mother

Single footin suger shine a tad of sweet will come .
Save the hot slops if your a mind two

Air tite barrel of country wine can still be
good after years if you use your wits.

So I'm tole
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

goose eye wrote:Fear of mother
So I'm tole
Yeah that. Nobody wants to drink vinegar.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

That might be a problem for drinkers of wine or beer.
But distilling vinegar doesn't work, judging by my experience. :evil:
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

raketemensch wrote:There’s honestly all kinds of weird advice in that book. The main still he walks you through building is built out of a water heater, but he doesn’t talk about materials at all. I’ve never seen copper or stainless water heaters in the US.
Water heaters have a glass lining. At least in the States.
JBC
JBC
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
raketemensch wrote:There’s honestly all kinds of weird advice in that book. The main still he walks you through building is built out of a water heater, but he doesn’t talk about materials at all. I’ve never seen copper or stainless water heaters in the US.
Water heaters have a glass lining. At least in the States.
JBC
That's the newer ones.
The ones from longer ago were copper.
You must be one of the newer fellows?

Geoff
The Baker
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longev ... eater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Check this out Baker.
They have been making water heaters with bonded virtuous glass for decades.
JBC
JBC
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longev ... eater.html
Check this out Baker.
They have been making water heaters with bonded virtuous glass for decades.
JBC
Yep. I am talking about longer ago than that.

Geoff
The Baker