Rum Yeasts

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rum Yeasts

Post by frost021 »

Well I decided to break down and do some comparisons on a few yeasts.might take a while to give final reviews ..I've been using fleischmann's for quit a few years now, but recently acquired some white star products and distila max products.
I Havn't tried the distala product yet as I want to get a few generations of the WS product before I make final judgements but coming off the 4 plate flute into the hearts is great wanting to dive in and pour one, but I know better lol ...coming into the tails in off the still had great fruity aroma's and taste and cut it off at 55% probably could have gone deeper into the tails but ...I know my still on gauging temps on deflag and boiler and abv/proof in the parrot I blend all in one shot as and smell and taste when needed as I use old ways incorporated with the new ways ...amount of product is the same but taste and aroma is much better ..now to wait and age and get the next gen of dunder...for batch 3 ...I don't think I'll be going back to fleischmann's if but only time will tell
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Rum Yeasts

Post by Shine0n »

Nothing wrong with change :thumbup:
Let us know the outcome on the different strains
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

What white star? I hadn't seem them before sounds great!

I assume this is the dm you've got on deck?
http://www.lallemandbds.com/products/di ... m-493-edv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit to add, browsed around white star some more, and holy hell those rum strains sound amazing! I filled my cart just to see, and it looks like I want $200 worth of test to play with now :( I don't think I have $200 in my yeast bank!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Lol, neither do I!

Would be nice to play with some yeast but for now I'll keep concentrating with high esters from muck pits. lol
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I find bakers yeast pretty well conditioned to work with molasses. As for esters letting the ferment run hot and fast with give you very typical rum flavours.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Read a topic online a while back about fleischmann's yeast. Seems it is grown in molasses .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's the yeast I use and love it in rum and AG, just not my brandies and meads.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think most commercial yeasts are grown in molasses. Bread, beer, wine, nutritional. Just hiw the pros roll. At least so I've heard. I wouldn't use that necessarily as an indication it's good for rum. Although, most any yeast is probably at least ok for rum, maybe FOR that reason?
Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Post by Max_Vino »

I have had great success with Alcotec Rum Yeast. Here is what they say:
Alcotec Rum Turbo Yeast contains a yeast strain that best promotes the fine flavors in fermentations containing molasses. Also contains GA (glucoamylase also known as amyloglucosidase) enzyme which breaks down dextrins which are contained in molasses as well as the nutrients that are missing from molasses.

I use more molasses than they call for and I meter the sugar in over three days. The results have been excellent.

Max
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

Hey frost, really looking forward to your results with the White Star, I was interested in that one.

I'll be trying and posting results on several traditional rum yeasts, per "The Distiller's Guide to Rum," a kind of rum bible.

What I'll be trying is White Labs WLP720 sweet mead yeast, Lalvin K1-V1116 montpellier wine yeast, and then I'm going to try and get some 493 EDV, I found a place I can order 50g at a time more affordably than 500g. First run will be the K1-V1116, then the WLP720, both of which I have on hand already along with all my blackstrap and hq molasses.

There's a place called 'theyeastbay' with some interesting strains, I'd like to try their "SIGMUND'S VOSS KVEIK" for a rum soon...
Traditionally used in the production of Norwegian Farmhouse Ale, this strain is a fast fermenter with good attenuation, a light earthy spiciness, marked tartness and unique ester profile of orange peel. This strain is prone to forming incredibly large flocs unlike any other yeast we've seen before, yet still remains highly attenuative. Sigmund's Voss Kveik also exhibits the ability to ferment wort over a large temperature range, 70 - 100 ºF, without major changes to the flavor profile or production of any harsh phenolics or fusel alchohols.
This yeast will exhibit a slightly more restrained ester profile and ferment a little slower at cooler fermentation temperatures, and quickly produce a drier beer with a slightly more pronounced ester profile at warmer fermentation temperatures. We highly recommend taking this into the high end of temperature range, 90-100 ºF.

Temperature: 70 - 100 ºF
Attenuation: 78 - 83%
Flocculation: High
Really interested in all the White Star strains; which ones did you pick up to try? Is the distala yeast the new version/generation of the EDV I mentioned?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

zapata wrote:What white star? I hadn't seem them before sounds great!

I assume this is the dm you've got on deck?
http://www.lallemandbds.com/products/di ... m-493-edv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit to add, browsed around white star some more, and holy hell those rum strains sound amazing! I filled my cart just to see, and it looks like I want $200 worth of test to play with now :( I don't think I have $200 in my yeast bank!
I got the caribbean rum from white star and yes that was the product from distilamax which take a while to get to as I got the 500g sizes to get a few batches with dunder..to get a real tastes with the recipes I use
yep it was a little expensive but wanting the best product i'm hoping I'm willing to spend a bit and experiment and have some very fine hooch when you figure the average 750 ml locally produced is $40 and captain is close to $30 I'm willing to experment lol
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

Tater wrote:Read a topic online a while back about fleischmann's yeast. Seems it is grown in molasses .
I've read that also and that is what I've always used for the past 10 years as well as my father that has gotten me in this great hobby but figured time to mix things up a bit and see what these different yeast can do :D
Dalejr68
Novice

Post by Dalejr68 »

any more info on how you are making out with the different yeast strands?
i am definitely curious now
not a rum drinker but love to try it
the boys at the camp like rum.....so be worth it
and once again
great reading and lots of info!!!!

thank you for the time you are putting into this!!!
just want you to know it is appreciated! :clap: