Stand-Alone Disposal

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

badflash
Swill Maker

Stand-Alone Disposal

Post by badflash »

This isn't a sexy controller, but I use it for all kinds of brewing related stuff. I got a free stainless deep sink and a cheap 3/4 HP disposal. I put a bucket under it to catch what comes out.

I built a stand out of 2X4's and plywood and I am good to go. Originally it was for pulping apples to make cider, but it works great pulping all kinds of fruit. Most need no extra water. Apples need some to work right, but I use cider instead of water and just splash some in to keep it going. I've used it to grind sprouted grain too, and that needs water to keep it from turning into bread dough.

Most recently I used it to grind up bakery products after soaking in hot water. I packed a 5 gallon bucket full of donuts, cup cakes and Danish, poured in hot water and let it soak, then dumped it in. What came out looked like gravy with an SG of 1.080. I'm using some enzymes to see if I can get it up higher. The mash is in my Turkey Roaster on Keep Warm to do the conversion. I will dilute the mash if needed.

Anyway, the possibilities are endless and it works well and fast.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Stand-Alone Disposal

Post by fizzix »

Heck if that works, it's a brilliant application!
I imagine to clean it you just dump in some water and let 'er rip?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

badflash wrote:What came out looked like gravy with an SG of 1.080. I'm using some enzymes to see if I can get it up higher.
The only thing is....the slurry is not necessarily a sugar solution. You have a high viscosity dough-like slurry. Of course, it'll show a specific gravity higher than pure water...because of all the "stickiness". But, that doesn't mean it's sugar. More likely, it's carbohydrates and water. Perhaps your enzymes will help reduce some of it, but I doubt it'll finish like a distillers beer would.

Good luck with it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

fizzix wrote:Heck if that works, it's a brilliant application!
I imagine to clean it you just dump in some water and let 'er rip?
Pretty much. I need to spray down the sides of the sink, but I have it set up outside, so I use the hose. Yes, cleanup is quick. The chickens clean up the leavings.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

still_stirrin wrote:The only thing is....the slurry is not necessarily a sugar solution. You have a high viscosity dough-like slurry. Of course, it'll show a specific gravity higher than pure water...because of all the "stickiness". But, that doesn't mean it's sugar. More likely, it's carbohydrates and water. Perhaps your enzymes will help reduce some of it, but I doubt it'll finish like a distillers beer would.
I am doing 2 things, first, the gravity is from a refractometer, not a float, so I think it is accurate. I also am adding enzymes that should convert some of the carbs while it ferments. The first batch fermented really well, but I'm not distilling yet, so no idea how well it actually works or if it will just scorch in the pot.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I once made a margarita machine using an Igloo cooler and a garbage disposal. Works great, but it cannot run for very long before the thermal overload switches it off. Once it cools down it will run again. That's the main issue with garbage disposals.
Attachments
56done.jpg
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Mmm, donut wine.

IMHO, I would leave the donuts out of the mix. I wouldn't want any shortening in a wash.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have seen apples ground up using this method as it was one I avoided as it has too many problems for that function. Can you show pictures of the ground product as I would think it might need additional grinding but could be wrong.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Bushman wrote:I have seen apples ground up using this method as it was one I avoided as it has too many problems for that function. Can you show pictures of the ground product as I would think it might need additional grinding but could be wrong.
The disposal grinds apples up perfectly for the cider press. Having to pre-cut them because they tend to roll, and the occasional overheating are issues. There are mods out there that replace the internal motor with an external one.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I use a 3/4 HP Badger model from Home Depot. For apples it will go 15 minutes before shutting down. I need a break by then anyway. If you want a floor fan over it, it will reset quickly. The Badger does a courser grind than many other brands. This works great for cider. You don't want apple sauce to squeeze.

I use a turkey roaster to get the stuff up to 140F for the enzymes, then dump into an igloo cooler to sit and convert. The roaster scorches a little, but not too bad. My feed stock is free so I'm not worried about a little loss.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

hellbilly007 wrote: IMHO, I would leave the donuts out of the mix. I wouldn't want any shortening in a wash.
I discovered, based on another suggestion from theis group, to put the fermentor bucket in the fridge. The fat floats to the top and hardens and the trub seaparates and goes to the bottom. Very little fat is left.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Soft batch wrote:
Bushman wrote:I have seen apples ground up using this method as it was one I avoided as it has too many problems for that function. Can you show pictures of the ground product as I would think it might need additional grinding but could be wrong.
The disposal grinds apples up perfectly for the cider press. Having to pre-cut them because they tend to roll, and the occasional overheating are issues. There are mods out there that replace the internal motor with an external one.
Yes before building my grinder for apples I researched this completely, my reference to pictures is to what the bakery products look like after going through the disposal.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Bushman wrote: my reference to pictures is to what the bakery products look like after going through the disposal.
I don't have pictures handy, but there is nothing recognizable or bigger than about 1/8". It looks like chunky gravy.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Got some pictures today when I did a 5 gallon batch of confections:
The Grinder:

A bucket of confections:

After dumping boiling water and a little stirring:

Once through the grinder:

Into the turkey roaster to keep warm, pasteurize and add enzymes:

Close up of "Gravy"
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Just chiming in to endorse the garbage disposal for apples. I did around 700 lbs last year with a 1 ¼ hp grinder dropping straight into buckets. The grinder operator could grind as fast as two people could quarter the apples and it never overheated.

I pressed the applesauce using a homemade cider press built into my 12-ton Harbor Freight shop press. It's the flat-type juice press instead of the slatted-cylinder-type press. We tried a large cylindrical wine press first but we could not get the juice extracted in a reasonable time. The flat type press was far more effective and quick. I was very happy with the process and will use it again this fall with no modifications. I imagine this kind of press has been written about at length elsewhere, but if anyone would like more information just let me know and I'll post pics. You could build one for around $200, or much less if you already have a shop press.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Badmotivator wrote:Just chiming in to endorse the garbage disposal for apples. I did around 700 lbs last year with a 1 ¼ hp grinder dropping straight into buckets. The grinder operator could grind as fast as two people could quarter the apples and it never overheated.
What disposal make & model did you use? Mine will not run non stop even though it is rated for continuous duty. Donuts are no problem.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

badflash wrote:
Badmotivator wrote:Just chiming in to endorse the garbage disposal for apples. I did around 700 lbs last year with a 1 ¼ hp grinder dropping straight into buckets. The grinder operator could grind as fast as two people could quarter the apples and it never overheated.
What disposal make & model did you use? Mine will not run non stop even though it is rated for continuous duty. Donuts are no problem.
Must be a really good one as I have read many that used disposals and they either over-heated or clogged that is why I avoided it in my grinder build.

Badflash I am impressed thanks for adding the photos.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Just ran a 5 gallon bucket of potatoes through. Definitely need to cut them in half to grind. Round ones get stuck, even if they are small. Ones with flats on them grind right up. Got some new enzymes from Enzymash. The guy there wrote back and said to use the same process as corn, but adjust due to the lower amount of starch. Potatoes are about 20% vs. corn which is about 70%. I should be able to use less enzyme, but I won't just to be safe.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

badflash wrote:
Oops. It's only 1 HP. Waste King Legend Series 8000, currently $100 on Amazon.

Here's the homemade press I use for apples and grain. I'm really happy with the combination of disposal and press.
press.jpg