still water coolant blockage

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kitobi
Novice

still water coolant blockage

Post by kitobi »

Hi All

I have an issue with my new T500 that the small pipe that leads to the Hot water out ( where the thermometer goes) seems blocked.
I have had some success last night with flushing this with hot water and soap with a 10ml syringe but the success is quite limited.

what was coming out was greasy and grey so I am assuming its flux, what can I use to clean the crud left over from production inside these pipes that wont damage them please?

plus does anyone know if the stainless fitting outside that holds the temp probe and hot water out pipe actually unscrews? if so I could clean it directly as when I squirt the water from the top I can hear the blockage is almost at the end of the pipe where the fitting is.

many thanks in advance

Andy
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: still water coolant blockage

Post by still_stirrin »

kitobi wrote:...what was coming out was greasy and grey so I am assuming its flux, what can I use to clean the crud left over from production inside these pipes that wont damage them please?
Got heads?

The ethyl acetate (fingernail polish remover) will cut through the waxy resin very well. Ketone (degreaser) also cuts grease quickly. And it evaporates very fast (highly volatile). But, wear gloves and work outside...it’ll strip the oils from your flesh and burn your lungs if inhaled.

Be sure to clean the whole thing per our cleaning protocol following a mechanical cleaning.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kitobi
Novice

Post by kitobi »

hi SS

nope its new and never used, but im sure if I rummage through the wifes many handbags I may find some acetone, failing that I am a day off tomorrow so I can nip to the store to get some ( probably safer than using hers anyways lol) certainly less aggro

ill give it a try thank you

Andy
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Take it back to the shop?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

zapata wrote:Take it back to the shop?
And get a refund. You can do better with a lot less money building your own. Even buying a better designed still can be had for same money.
kitobi
Novice

Post by kitobi »

yeah taking it back is something I have already discussed with the supplier, it was mail order so there is some ball ache in boxing it back up to send back. going to try acetone today and see if that fixes it, if not ill have to dig out some boxes and try to work out how much it will cost me in postage to send it back
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I don't understand. It should cost you nothing in postage to return a defective product. In fact a good seller will not just cover postage, but include a discount coupon, or some kind of freebie for having to deal with it. You aren't returning it because you ordered the wrong thing, or decided it doesn't really compliment your eye color. It's defective. Its not what you paid for. Demand the seller cover shipping, or compensate you in some way worth it to you.
kitobi
Novice

Post by kitobi »

says in their info that all returns are at the cost of the customer, but thankfully they have been very gracious and are taking this one back and supplying a new one on the same day instead at their cost, instead of waiting for this one to be inspected and returned.
I spoke to the manufacturers yesterday and there is a issue with production and the glue used to secure some pipes in place, it is running into places it shouldn't and causing issues with blocked pipes.

ill blow down each pipe when the new one arrives if there's free flowing air I know ill be all good.

sadly I am not in a position to build one currently, I'm a engineer/welder and fitter by trade before doing 12 years in the forces so I'm good with my hands. But that was a while ago, I now have no tools or space to work in a tiny house with limited space, so I must sadly buy my still instead of build one.

looking at the t500 column I could already make so many alterations and improvements, its a very simple build really, but it is out of reach for now.