Wiring a still auger

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DudeBud
Novice

Wiring a still auger

Post by DudeBud »

Hey guys,
So i got this motor with my latest still purchase and am scratching my head a bit at how to wire it up. - I know this is not an electrical forum, but there are enough pros on here to point in the right direction, and i think that if i am asking this question with a still purchase then someone else is probably asking too! Its for for my still auger, and figured i should probably wire it up since i have it and its paid for. I think i need a little team support at how to wire this puppy up without setting my garage on fire. It says 3 phase, and i am a little concerned as i believe most homes in north america only have single phase coming in? I also feel like i am over thinking this...

If i am looking at the wiring diagram correctly on the plate, hot lines (red, black) to v1 and v2, then neutral (white) to u1?
Also, since its 3 phase I am assuming there is no easy way to regulate speed... correct?

Thanks in advance!
_Bud
motor.jpg
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Wiring a still auger

Post by Expat »

Correct, residential power feeds are typically two phase, so you can't wire it directly.

Three phase isn't about regulating power, it's about efficiency. Think about it this way, with single phase power there are two points in every power cycle during which the device receives exactly zero power. With multiple phases that overlap there is always power available, the net result is for example a motor which draws leas power overall as it's more evenly loaded.

Options, if you don't have 3 phase power are limited. Using two phase it's likely the motor simply won't work. Not enough power to start up as it's wound for 3 phase.

1) a static phase converter, would allow the motor to start on single phase, but at a cost of 2/3rd horse power and reduced service life.

2) rotary phase converter or variable frequency drive, basically another motor/generator which runs on single phase which powers your motor.

3) Reality, sell the 3 phase and buy something that works. Options 1 and 2 are really only useful for large scale expensive equipment, where it's impossible to change the motor.

Basically, option 3 is where you're going to be, as it would probably be more costly to go for options 1&2 than to buy a new motor. Also, you probably don't require as much power as three phase provides to stir a boiler.

NB - I'm not an electrician, and I don't play one on TV.

YMMV

Hope that helps.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Wild Bill »

Three phase motors use three hot wires with no nuetral and can’t be wired to single phase without a phase converter. I bought a large surplus three phase milling machine for cheap. Therefore, it was worth the time and expense to configure a homebrewed rotary phase converter for it. For a smaller motor like that I am not sure you could justify going through the expense of installing a phase converter, especially if you can’t do the work yourself. As expat said, a single phase motor makes more sense.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Frequency drive motor controller will work well and are priced right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VFD015M21A ... Sw3K1av0GQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Not to difficult to wire up either. They are great high torque and low speed. Check them out. My need a sparky to help if you are not comfortable with electricity.
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

You need a variable frequency drive if you want to run the agitator at different speeds. That's a 1 HP motor. What type of power do you have available near the still site? 120V? 240V? Most variable frequency will be able to convert single or two phase power so they can take a 120V or 240V input.

Something like the one at the link below is what you're looking for.

https://www.kb-controls.com/product.sc; ... ductId=176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Depending on how the motor is wired, you could rewire it to single phase but it's not the best at all.

If you have around 150$, grab a VFD controller.
It's a variable frequency driver. You'll be able to run on 3 phases and control speed of your motor.

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxNjsuUrZA
They're one of the many who make those VFD.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I use a a static phase converter I got off ebay for less than $45 including shipping!

You buy one that matches the horse power of the motor it will be used on. It uses a capacitor to simulate the third phase for start-up and then runs on two.

Easy to wire and works great, but at one speed.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005