feints vote

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

feints vote

Post by jon1163 »

So I've got about 10 gallons of feints (heads and tails) saved up, Bourbon and rye. I usually use a spoon and Spoon out the fusel oils on the tails before I add them to the feints jug.

I have both a pot and Thumper and also a reflux still. Can never have enough whiskey but if it's not worth it I'm good making a neutral out of it. Can I see a vote of who would do what?

thanks.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: feints vote

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'd be pouring all those feints or at least some of them back in the boiler with the next lot of Bourbon and rye wash.
Be a waste to turn them to Neutral.
Ya want/ need neutral make a neutral wash.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have a barrel of tails that I reran aging right now. So far it looks good. I would do a feints run unless you really need vodka.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've been saving and mixing all my feints into carboys. Once I've got a full 10g I'll do a neutral run through the CCVM. It's a mix of feints from different spirits and I'm fine with a nice grain based neutral rather than a sugar wash although there are some honey and grape feints in there along with some all grain. Planning to use it in vodka's, gin's, and other macerated/flavoured spirits.

I would probably have 10g but I re-ran all my feints at one point several times cleaning with water after each run then re-running in the pot still. I wasn't quite happy yet with the taste so I put together the CCVM which I still haven't run yet so just saving up till I have a good amount and might bump it with a cheap all feed-corn mash.

My next corn purchase for bourbon / shine / whiskey is going to be a bag each of red / white / blue corn. A little more pricey but I feel well worth the imagery.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

what SBB said.

try running them through a funnel with a blue shop towel for a filter. it's amazing how much oil those will absorb. beats spooning it out.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Hopefully I will have your dilema someday soon. If I would quit modifying my rig I might be able to save up enough feints for a run. As it is now, I have been using them for sac runs after still modifications.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Bourbon feints will make good bourbon. And I like a ryed bourbon.