HDA website is down?

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

HDA website is down?

Post by Bearded-and-Bored »

So I just got a message on my YouTube channel from a viewer that was watching my legalization video. Apparently the HDA website wasn't working for him. So I checked.

It's gone... :shock:

I know the movement has basically died ever since Tim from Brewhaus ran out of money for the lobbyist, but I figured they'd keep the site up in case there was another opportunity in the future. Anyone got any info?
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!" - Jack Napier
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: HDA website is down?

Post by Yonder »

Well, that sure as hell is depressing. With all of the folks we have here we should be able to put together at least some effort.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Still down. I guess my membership is too.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

The Facebook page is alive:
https://www.facebook.com/HobbyDistillersAssociation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The last post is dated last September.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Very, very disappointing. I joined, offered help and wrote some letters. Now i wonder why? With all of the members here and the other forums why is no one interested? Why does no one seem to care? :cry: :(
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

What website is it ???
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

HDA is Hobby Distillers' Association, hobbydistillersassociation.org.

It seems they ran out of money. The Facebook page is probably free, or very low cost. It might remain a presence in the web, waiting for better times. But there is no mention, on the Facebook page, of the closing of the site.

The domain should still belong to the association (or we would see a "for sale" page I guess) it's the web site which is down.

With all the scary stories about how risky it is to be a hobby distiller in the USA I am frankly amazed that people did not put some money, if not their name, on the table.

The best way to legalize something is to make it "common", or "normal" and that means showing off a bit, spreading the gospel, rather than remain hidden and secretive as conspirators.

Actually US hobby distillers should organize "distiller pride" parades or such things to communicate their normality. They should make some fuss IMHO. (The problem with those manifestations is the possible presence of drunken idiots who would just make the situation worse, I know).
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Birrofilo wrote:HDA is Hobby Distillers' Association, hobbydistillersassociation.org.

It seems they ran out of money. The Facebook page is probably free, or very low cost. It might remain a presence in the web, waiting for better times. But there is no mention, on the Facebook page, of the closing of the site.

The domain should still belong to the association (or we would see a "for sale" page I guess) it's the web site which is down.

With all the scary stories about how risky it is to be a hobby distiller in the USA I am frankly amazed that people did not put some money, if not their name, on the table.

The best way to legalize something is to make it "common", or "normal" and that means showing off a bit, spreading the gospel, rather than remain hidden and secretive as conspirators.

Actually US hobby distillers should organize "distiller pride" parades or such things to communicate their normality. They should make some fuss IMHO. (The problem with those manifestations is the possible presence of drunken idiots who would just make the situation worse, I know).
Multi year paid membership... in nothing?
Gone.
I had hoped for more than this.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Well, since nobody has heard anything I guess it's time to change my signature from the HDA links to one that suits me better. Somebody let me know if things change. Since doing illegal shit in the garage messes with me getting regular sex with my wife I'll just have to take up needle point or some other lame ass hobby. Sorry, got a bitter taste in my mouth. Had to spit that out.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bearded-and-Bored wrote:Well, since nobody has heard anything I guess it's time to change my signature from the HDA links to one that suits me better. Somebody let me know if things change. Since doing illegal shit in the garage messes with me getting regular sex with my wife I'll just have to take up needle point or some other lame ass hobby. Sorry, got a bitter taste in my mouth. Had to spit that out.
Think that guys doing needle point in their garages is also an illegal activity, if it's not it should be :)

OVZ
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Some very skilled surgeons do embroidery for a hobby.

And I REALLY want them to be good at needlework.

Geoff
The Baker
Bearded-and-Bored
Novice

Update!!! The website is back up, but only in a minimal way. They're still active, but not maintaining the website. Here's what it says.

"The Hobby Distiller's Association website is currently down. We will be using our Facebook page for updates and member communication in the meantime. We're all volunteers who work full time, and it has become too time-consuming for us to continue to maintain the website without having an active lobbyist in DC working for our cause.

As you may already know, we sent out a newsletter last year to let everyone know that we had to stop lobbying, as Brewhaus could not continue to carry almost the entire cost any longer. We were in for roughly $80K, and membership dues were down to less than 10% of the monthly lobbyist cost. None of our competitors were helping with the cost, or we could have kept the lobbyist going. We are now putting all membership dues and donations aside so that when we have enough to cover the lobbyist for 6 months, we will bring him back on. Until we have a lobbyist back in our corner, we will not be able to get much forward momentum, as we do not have access to those in Congress aside from our own local representatives.

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us through our Facebook page."

Here's the link to the Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/HobbyDistillersAssociation/
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

I saw the vidya of 'Bearded and Bored" where you was malting in yer shed. Nicely done.

if it was easy, everybody be doing it

....though in this world nobody should be bored
spiritually taxed circa 1791