Anybody live in or around Indiana?

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Anybody live in or around Indiana?

Post by distiller_dresden »

Would be cool to meet up, or set up 'group buys' or group memberships for things like 'webstaurant' for their cheap 5 gallon molasses buckets ($34 for high quality and $26 for blackstrap).

Possibilities are endless; I found a source of classic rum yeast EDV493 in NZ and I want to order 500g of it, which I could afford at about $84, but it'd be better to split it!

It's also cool to grow the circle and try our creations, talk shop...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Re: Anybody live in or around Indiana?

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

DD.
I am in central Indiana.
I have searched the new members area (used Indiana as a search) there seems to be about 5-10 people that have admitted to being hoosiers here.
Ft Wayne, Lafayette, Brown County, Indy, Evansville.....can't remember where all everyone is from.
I am about 2.5 hours from you (using Parkview Med Center as a reference). not exactly sure where you are.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Parkview is a close estimate, I'm about at the northeast corner of 469 where it goes from basically NS to EW.

Now if we can get the IN members to post up, maybe we can organize an IN meet...

What do you like to still up HS, and how long have you been in the life? 4 months for me, so I'm just getting my legs, and I am into corn flavored shines on oak, and rums, at least for now.

I would like to get into apple brandy and honey shine on oak down the line.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

My brother use to live over by Parkview, lost him in Nov of 2015, he is at Highland Park now.
I have been making Wine for the past 10+ years & still enjoy that.
have had the flute for about a year now.
Doing mainly UJSSM & Neutrals (using Neutrals for FirePiss).
I am wanting to make HBB but need to get something so I can boil 15 gal of water at a time....then do it like SCD does his.
I am wanting to do some Apple Brandy, but can't bring myself not to bottle for wine (besides management likes my Caramel Apple wine). Guess I just need to make it and not tell her. Then I can make the Brandy.
I also make an "easy Skeeter Pee" that I would like to turn into a lemon vodka/Lemoncello. but again is too hard not to keep as wine.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Sorry to hear about your brother. I'm an only child, and I have a lot of extended family on my maternal side but we are estranged mostly by necessity, long story, so it's me and my dad.

You make a caramel apple wine? OMG. I would be willing to mash and still out a couple runs of recipe specific HBB for you and work a trade out, we could talk particulars on what all you do, but caramel apple wine sounds amazing.

The original HBB recipe just calls for 6 gal of water, which is totally my wheelhouse as I have a 5 gal still, although a 13 gal fermenter. I'd follow that recipe and I can usually get into my neck just a little bit without a problem, so I'd cook off maybe 5.4 gals, and I could even make cuts as you asked, or I could do it in 6-8oz at a time like I typically do with anything I am stilling.

Maybe I could have you make me some wine that when we got together I might even still off some of it; I have tried making a wine twice to be brandied but using DADY it didn't turn out well. I think I needed a different yeast. But I did use 20lbs of fruit, 10 blueberries and 10 cherries, blended to hell, and about 5lbs white sugar to 5.5 gals water, some DADY and some yeast nutrient.
"Honey Bear Bourbon

7lbs cracked corn ( or 5 lbs corn meal!)*
.5lb Honey malt
1 lb white wheat malt
1 lb red wheat malt
1lb pale malt
Handful of oyster shells

*optional- substitute 1 lb of rolled oats for 1 lb of corn/meal if you prefer, for more mouth feel.

Put the corn, honey malt, and oats if using, into a 6 gallon bucket. Fill bucket up with boiling water. Wrap in blankets, stirring as frequent as you like. Mine takes about 3 or 4 hours this way to naturally hit mashing temp, so I stir 2 or 3 times during this time.

The honey malt helps the corn keep thin while gelling (except corn meal. Ain't nothing thinning that out. You are literally creating polenta), and adds a front end honey flavour. It's awesome.

Anyways, when the mix hits around 153, add your two wheat malts and pale malt. Wrap up again, for a couple hours. When done, chill the wort, add oyster shells (ph autopilot), and pitch yeast. Done."
For me, I use cracked corn as well, but I run it through a coffee grinder lately; it takes a little more time, maybe little pain in the ass, but no need for extra cooking because I basically have cornmeal now and I can skip cooking corn and go right to dumping boiling water without worrying. In the past 4 months I learned (my latest cornflake/corn recipe actually) that corn doesn't break down, then I learned about malted barley/grains, and THEN I learned that even just putting boiling water on cracked corn isn't enough to loosen it for the malted grain enzymes (in my experience anyhow). That I had to COOK the corn to soften it further. But once I coffee grinded that cracked corn, haha, forget about it, it's DONE buddy! Anyway, that's the HBB recipe, were you looking for a 15 gal cooker to up the recipe?

If you do want me to make some HBB for you, I have oaking options:
Medium American oak
Medium Hungarian oak
Light French oak
Medium French oak

I also found this chart, which I LOVE:
Oak-Flavor-Chart1-e1439428578405.jpg
Last edited by distiller_dresden on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I did make the Skeeter pee(without the lemon juice) for a neutral for the FirePiss (Cinnamon Fire as I call it) with DADY. Had to fiddle with it a little bit. to get the ph up. took about 3 weeks to finish.
I used ec-1118 for it when I made the Skeeter pee & it was finished dry in a little over a week. Next time I make it for Neutral I WILL use ec-1118.
Whenever I can, I use ec-1118 for my wines.
I cheat when I make the apple I do NOT start with fruit. I start with either Cider or Juice.

As an aside I bottled 2 cases of Peach & 2 cases of Chocolate Raspberry wine yesterday. The Chocolate Raspberry did not clear, but I will still drink it. it tastes GREAT.

I also tried the "Odins Corn Flake Whiskey" I don't know if I did something wrong or not, ended up with about 7-8 gallons of pudding in the bottom of my fermenter. only had 7 gallons of wash to put into my 15 gallon boiler..... BTW...half full boiler runs LOTS different than 12-13 gallons.
Last edited by Hoosier Shine9 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

My prev post got edited while you were posting, oops! I added quite a bit I think.

I don't think apple juice or cider is cheatin'. It's APPLE. JUICE. (they both are!)

I've heard from everyone that EC is best for fruit stuff. I wasn't aware of the FirePiss, that's interesting, like 'organic' fireball or to show my age, aftershock (man I miss those crystals; SO MANY times in college we were drunk and otherwise further multiple inebriated and busting bottles to eat cinnamon sugar)

I have had trouble finding medium plus toast Hungarian oak, which I want for my rums so badly...

The pudding sounds like maybe your yeast got too much oxygen and reproduced, and that was your yeast bed? Usually the sludge at the bottom is (you know this right) yeast cells. From memory Odin's cornflake is just a pound of cornflakes, some sugar, and about 5 gals water right? If you upped that to 15 gal I guess you had like 17 oz x 3 cornflakes, 7 lbs x 3 sugar, 5 gals x 3 water, but still sludge sounds like the remains of cornflakes and lots of overbred yeast bed...

How'd you make a chocolate wine? Before in the mash, any chocolate, or something afterward in the bottles? I don't know wine making well, much at all. I made my 'brandy' into a kind of blueberry-cherry port, or sort of brandy. It has settled some in the two months since I finished it, and now it's better actually, more solids even after I filtered the hell out of it settle out, and some sugar settles too, and I get more complexity and the oak I used comes out. At first it was oaky, but it tastes like a complex oaked port, but a strong port.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hey Hoosier Shine, you're a wine guy, have you ever made a fennel seed wine? I was recently on a long drive, and I got back and searched fennel seed, seeing it is almost exclusively used for the green dragon. When I was growing up my grandma used to make me fennel tea flavored with honey to drink at night and it was delicious, so mildly licorice that you couldn't even call it licorice. I was thinking more, and I thought it's just the sort of thing that if you could make a fennel tea wine, and it had that same soft, mild flavor and light inoffensive sweetness, it would be such an amazing wine, like an apertif to clear the palate.

Do you think it's possible, if so how would you go about something like that? Maybe I could give it a go with some expert advice. I think a recipe would be simple enough, sugar/sweetener, water, yeast, fennel seed, like I said I don't know how wine works for good drinking wine, but fennel tea is so simple, that a wine would have to be likely so...
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

My guess would be that she used the Fennel leaves rather than the seeds.
I did a quick search on a couple of winemaking forums, came up with a couple recipes, ,all using the leaves.

In the Chocolate Raspberry I used Cocoa in the "juice" from the start of fermentation.

The next time I am going to head to Ft Wayne I will let you know.
Try to meet up and bring you a bottle or 2 of the Caramel Apple.... warning it is about 15.9%abv
distiller_dresden
Trainee

My grandma did always use the seeds, about a tablespoon in a pot of water, and then once the tea was made, it was a bit greenish brown, she'd strain the seeds and add honey. It was very mild and yummy.

I can trade you for some of that, right now I only have some rum which I've fruited and it has a good rum body with a tropical esters top, but that was from the fruiting; small amounts of black cherries, raisins, prunes, cloves, 1 pineapple ring (fruits were added similar to this amount), it was mashed with bananas which gave it some lovely banana notes, a vanilla bean, and French light, Hungarian medium, and American medium oaks. It's just finishing up but I have stolen some ounces lately in the evenings and I'm pretty fond of it.

Unless you come very soon I should have more, and different (basic, non-fruited/more traditional) rum, as well as corn whisky (malted and non), probably other things too!

I'm very excited to try caramel apple wine, let me tell you.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Nice chart there DD, I have a good friend in Indy that I see once a year or so, maybe the next time I'm there I'll give you a pm and we could meet up for a drink or 3.

I'm in Va. and if you're ever around give me a shout and we'll see what transpires.

Like that chart!!!
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Awesome ShineOn, before you come PM me maybe we can organize a bottle trade too!

I love that chart!
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I’m in northwest Indiana.
I have a brother and sister that live around Indy, so I could easily meet up when I visit them.
Let me know the next tine you want to place an order on larger quantity items and I’ll let you know if I’m interested.

- Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Heya Irishgnome, will do! I'm in Fort Wayne (did I say that? o well). I'd love to set a meet if there were a few of us at least, and bring our own make to try and maybe trade. I'll definitely let you know when I'm considering a large order; I want to order some specialty rum yeast, EDV493 which is basically totally impossible to get in the US, but I found a supplier in NZ from a web store. You can buy smaller amounts, like 50g at a time, but I want to buy their 500g pack, it's like 75AUSD, which I don't know the conversion but I think maybe it's about 65-68USD and then shipping might push it to 75-80 total. I figure a 3-5 person spilt would be ideal, but hell even a 2 person split, as far as the money is concerned, is nothing, 40 bucks. It's just oh well, I guess we have MORE than enough of one of THE choice rum yeasts that a TON of rum distilleries use, we'll have it on hand for a LONG freakin' time lol. 250g goes a long way, eh??

If you've read "The Distiller's Guide to Rum" it talks about that strain and it is indeed very common not only at the Jamaican distilleries but also many large and small craft distilleries in America.

Then there's stuff like I found a 'bulk' provider of pear juice concentrate, like 10 gallons at a time, at about $12 a gallon... Which clearly scream for a bulk buy partnership. It would be okay if the place was selling it shelf stable like this other stuff I get 32oz at a time on Amazon, but it needs refrigeration. So I could handle 5 gallons, I have a deep freeze, and I could plan to mash-in 1 or 2 gallons right when I got it.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Just sat this pop up. I'm about 45-60 min north of Indiana if that's considered "near"
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Loki, in the cherry and apple state! You're probably close enough for horseshoes. If we have a meet and set in the right place, after all several have been down around Indy, I'm NE Indiana, we have someone in NW Indiana, we're getting enough people that we'll have a decent meet up if we can all make it. Nice to meet you bud!

I just think of MI that way because my dad and I go way north in MI every late fall and it's all cherries and apples up around Traverse City. So freaking gorgeous up there. I love Michigan in fall.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hmm was just thinking, didn't we pass just east of Ft Wayne on our bus from Kentucky to Detroit to meet the MI guys. I reckon you might be surprised how many are relatively close :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Michigan is definitely a place full of cherries, apples, blueberries, vineyards, and breweries.

It's always nice to meet more people in the hobby. I wouldn't be averse to driving a little ways for a get together.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Sorry for the delay!
It’s been a few weeks since I checked for updates here. Just got back from a long hiking trip and was focused on getting ready before hand. I’ll be sure to check in more often.
Not sure about the Rum Yeast (at this time), however I would be into some fruit juice concentrates. I’m still new to the game and need to spread my wings a little more. So, in time I may be interested in the rum yeasts. What have you made with rum yeasts so far? Any good recipes?
How are juices that you ordered from amazon?
I’ll keep my eyes open for good cheap sources on bulk items as well.
Cheers
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Anybody interested in getting into a group buy - not much really, 2-3 of us for $50 on 500g of Fermentis M-1, the world class choice of scotch fermenting yeast in Scotland, most commonly used by many scotch whisky distilleries? A brick of it on Amazon and it's not a lot of money, but I don't know if I'll ever use up 500g of it so I think it would make sense to split between a few people.

link to the PDF for the yeast
https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upload ... -M1_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Dresden
Any chance you would be willing to wait until the end of July? I have an 8 gallon on the way and based on the storage requirements of this yeast (7) days after opening, I would like to use this on a larger batch. My current 2 gallon is good for small batches, but a bit of a pain to split larger batches into multiple runs. If I start this around mid-July, I can take a 15 gallon batch and split it into two runs.
One concern is the reply about the product arriving past the use by date.
If you’re willing to wait, I am game on splitting this with you or multiple guys. I may look at a local distributer nearby, they get a number of interesting products in and I would be able to check the expiration dates.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I have no problem waiting. I'm not in a hurry; I've had 7lbs of Golden Promise malt sitting for 3 months now, it can sit longer. I have plenty of other stuff on hand, 3 batches of rum planned, 2 batches of Honey Bear Bourbon, and a few other things planned. I don't have a lack of things to do! I have been on a kind of yeast binge, too, and I have a fridge full of yeasts now of various strains, about 12-15 different and at least 4-10 of any given one. Set for yeast for a while, I wanted this specifically because I want to make my own scotch lovingly someday; I'm a big Glenlivet and Glenmorangie fan, so longer time means I can plan and research more and I'll get a better scotch.

I don't worry too much about expiration dates, but understand if that's a concern and if you can find it locally near or better pricing for 500g, that's even better! I've just read so many accounts here and all over the web of as long as you keep it in the fridge, people have yeast that's a year past expiration and it stays fully viable. But like I said, end of July or so, no problem and if you can find it local/fresher, that's awesome!
Mack10
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mack10 »

I am about 2 hours away from you dresden in SW MI.

Not much put away yet for a tasting. Plan on a few runs of HBB next month to fill one of the once used 5 gallon barrels that I am waiting for from Journeyman Distillery near me. I'll definitely be prepared for things next year.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I just put away a rum in a barrel, and am planning a few more things for some more barrels in the next couple months, which will be ready next year -- spring/summer or so. So we should see if we can't look toward an Indiana/Michigan and surrounding areas gathering around late next spring 2019. That would give everyone plenty of time to prepare and plan, not only for the gathering, but also for spirits to share.
Mack10
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mack10 »

Timeline sounds good to me.
Been enjoying panty dropper of varied fruits all summer made from my Rum. So far blueberry is my favorite, but on to HBB at the moment and filling the used barrel when available.
If not, I will have to pull the trigger on one of the new/remanufactured Balcones.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

I am a north central Hoosier with ties to Indy, Ft. Wayne, and NW Indiana. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Dresden

I just ordered 500g of Fermentis M-1.
I did find this at a local shop, but looked poorly re packaged.
Let me know how much you want.
Should be in my hand Thursday.
Anyone else interested just let me know.

Cheers
Irish
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Just responded to ya; may have someone else in, Twisted Brick, I shot him a msg too.

I got a BadMo barrel that seasoned with some tawny port and touch of 18yr Glenlivet and touch more Auchentoshan Three Wood for 2 months, soaking into the oak. So when I fill this with my Golden Promise scotch, it's gonna be port barrel. Mmmmmm
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Guys,

Just received the M-1 that I ordered through Amazon. I read that the yeast arrived past the use by date on some reviews.

What I received is good for about a year and a half, which is pretty darn good if you ask me.

Amazon originally said that this was sold through Home Brew Ohio, which changed for whatever reason to Quality Quick Ship.

Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone that was hesitant to order this because of the reviews know that this arrived in great shape and can sit on the shelf for a long time.

Looking forward to working with this stuff.
Need to pick up a few more fermenter's. :D

Cheers
- Irish
Attachments
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
x5060
Novice

Post by x5060 »

Hi Guys,

I am around central Indiana and just getting into distilling. I am working on a basic Pot Still using a 5 gallon stainless pot, some copper utility tubing, some clamps, a 5 gallon bucket and some silicone sealant.

It's good to see there are some more experienced people around the state.

Does anyone have a good source for smaller oak barrels? (1L, 2L, 3L, 5L)