50l - Upgrade from my 5 gal.

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

j3hx
Bootlegger

Re: 50l - Upgrade from my 5 gal.

Post by j3hx »

acfixer69 wrote:1st pic looks like pieces may not have been hot enough the soldier didn't wet.
Should i try and fix? However i would do that outside of flux and heating that area until it melts in mpre? It actually ran pretty good. i think it got messy at the end when i tried moving that big blob that ran when i was working on the other side :/
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Naa test it and see what goes. I would do a quick test run with water before adding a wash in there.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

acfixer69 wrote:Naa test it and see what goes. I would do a quick test run with water before adding a wash in there.
No doubt. im gonna wash it out then fill er up and let it boil for a while.. as lomg as it holds water lol
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Fingers crossed for you mate, you've earned this one! And yeah, I'd test before trying anything else.
FYI I get those punchy toy balloons from the dollar store for leak tests, they stretch over 2". I actually run a leak test on my full setup often as I regularly run setups with impermanent seals, like teflon wrapped slip fittings.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

tiny slow leak.. more like condensation right above the big blob.. ok no probs im gonna try n fix it.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

I was able to put some flux in, heat the back side of keg/flange and the hit the solder indirectly (the blob). It ran down into the crack.. Its cooling down now. ill clean it up when cool and try it again..
20180607_212059-1200x1600.jpg
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

water in for a while now.. just fired it up.

I noticed the element is a lot more quiet than it has been. Voltage says 235 still.. But doesnt sound like a jet engine today lol. Is that normal? A break in or something maybe?

Fingers crossed...
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Attached my column and briefly held my thumb over the union to create a little pressure.. Seems to hold well minus 1 tiny spot that is making me nervous. I think i see a little moisure in that area. I shut it down and letting it cool for a bit. Will dump it, dry clean and flux that spot and see if i can run a little more into that spot. The other areas looks solid! Ill try n get a picture of where im talking about.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

20180607_230234-1200x1600-1200x1600.jpg
hard to see but that little discoloration spot. pretty sure thats liquid.. Thats alao the thinnest part of the flange. Ill see what i can do in a bit..
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Fixed that.. now one at the bottom.. Lol cant catch a break.. ill try n fix it..getting tough now
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

it wasnt leaking at bottom before but now i see 2 lil holes.. Can the heat in keg cause a little swelling and opening the joint? its weird
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Well. I only had a little solder left so i fed it all in. If it doesnt leak great, if it does, ill pull it and try again... im bound to get it at some point hopefully

edit..

Fail. it leaks on fill. Well.. Sorry for the sht show lol. Ill be either really good at this when im done or really bad. And to think i thought this would be easiest part :)
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Wow, that's gotta be very discouraging, I'm bummed for you. There is bound to be a reason for this much trouble, but I have no idea what it is....

So, when you are fixing the leaks, do you still have the anchor bolt holding tension? Because I know when I did mine the anchor bolt was actually bending the keg wall to make it tight to the flange. I'm imagining reflowing the solder without the bolt holding tension might allow the keg wall to flex back away from the flange where it isnt as close a fit.
?
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

[quote="zapata"]Wow, that's gotta be very discouraging, I'm bummed for you. There is bound to be a reason for this much trouble, but I have no idea what it is....

So, when you are fixing the leaks, do you still have the anchor bolt holding tension? Because I know when I did mine the anchor bolt was actually bending the keg wall to make it tight to the flange. I'm imagining reflowing the solder without the bolt holding tension might allow the keg wall to flex back away from the flange where it isnt as close a fit.

Ive been leaving it off during the patch work. I thought i had it lol. There is something screwy with that left side.. it seems to suck in a lot of solder and never really fills real well.. perhaps there is a gap there or something.. Its been that side every time so far.

Im going to try and track down some more solder..Not sure if ill find anything locally so may order another kit..

I nailed the right side. its been solid both times. ill clean it all off tomorrow and take some pictures of the flange sitting on the keg, then one with it bolted down. Im trying to stay positive. I keep thinking damn if i would have just bought a milk can with all this already done ... but still not comfortable doing that lol

I wont give up on it, surely its do able..

I tighten the bolt down to the flange fairly tight but not enough to bend the keg. Mainly tight enough to hold it firmly in place.. As far as prep goes i sanded both thr keg and flange, cleaned with paint thinner, added flux to both surfaces the set the bolt.. Heated around the flange for a bit then directed the heat around the inside of the fitting and tested with the solder every so often. as soon as it melted id pull the torch and solder around until it wouldnt take or melt, then apply more heat to remaining areas and continue on..

When patching leaks, the left side would get hot and suck almost all of the solder into the joint. Not sure why. Maybe there is a larger gap on that side... ill post some pics tomorrow. I am beat lol
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

I need to sand the fitting a little to clean it up a touch. But here is what i get gap wise.. when holding the fitting to the keg.. Is this too large? Granted when i bolt it down it closes a touch more..

One Side:
20180608_103609-1200x1600.jpg
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Other side :
20180608_104002-1200x1600.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

That's a good enough fit. I've never used paint thinner or heard anyone does. I just wipe with clean lint free rag to dust it clean. I think you are having this problem because of the torch is small an taking too long, flux is burning off. Hang in there bud. You'll get it :thumbup:
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

acfixer69 wrote:That's a good enough fit. I've never used paint thinner or heard anyone does. I just wipe with clean lint free rag to dust it clean. I think you are having this problem because of the torch is small an taking too long, flux is burning off. Hang in there bud. You'll get it :thumbup:

My father is coming back to visit soon, he has some stronger torches and is going to help.

Thats a good point. I feel like i get a damn fine start and it starts getting hairy when i have to slow down and reheat half the fitting it seems.. And then it feels like it takes forever even when im moving evenly over the fitting.

I use paint thinner or acetone depending on which i grab first lol, just to clean any greasyness from the area.

Well.. I gotta order some more solder or maybe check with some of the local welding supply stores maybe.. Do i have to use staybrite 8 or can i get away with others but still use the stay clean flux? I have plenty of it left from the kit.

In the mean time i think i wanna shine this thing up some.. or partially. Ill keep pics coming of course lol. Story of this thread will be Persistence.. Maybe by the end ill be able to tell people what not to do when it comes to all this :D
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

If you gotta use your torch again, maybe preheat the whole area, like with a heat gun (aka hair dryer), maybe even clamp it so its heating the area the whole time?

It does come to me that the last one I did I got all the way around it without the solder setting. Compared to how it sounds like yours has gone, and what can be seen in the bh install video that he clearly does in halves. I attributed it to my continuing to heat the keg far away from the fitting while applying...

If I were you I would (not that I'm an expert, so let's get some feedback on this?):
1. Bigger torch
2. Preferably mapp gas
3. Pre tin the fitting (really dont know for sure, I'd try it at this point myself though)
4. Keep it hot all the way around. By keeping a heat gun on it and/or bigger torch kept in motion close enough but not close enough to scorch
5. Clamp it harder, keep it clamped if reworking.
6. Feed solder till it flows like a river under the joint

That's all I got
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Thanks Zapata! Im taking a break from it while i wait on my solder to come in. I think im going to install another outlet beside my breaker box.. so i dont have to rob the dryer ir have a 10 foot cord draped to the nearby room. Would like to mount my controller as well so its off the floor. Will be a good change of direction for a bit:)
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

Try #3.. or 5?

So this time i put more time into heating. Had a heat gun set up and blowing on the keg. Kept the entire area nice and hot. I got a bead 3/4 around then that damn left just wouldnt fill up it seemed. I got it filled though so hopefully it will be ok.. Im letting her cool wayyyy down before even touching the surrounding areas.. We will see how it goes..
20180613_112814-1600x1200.jpg
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

overall its my most solid yet.. looks wise lol
It holds water so far. just turned my element on.. hopefully i can boil for an hour with no issues.. then ill do some pressure testing if possible.
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

A couple noticeable things in the event it leaks again.. My clamp sucks. its a pita. I didnt center the hole somehow.. so i may have to get a hand in keeping my flange straight/still while i tighten the clamp. Its more surface area on one side if anything so maybe that accounts for needing more solder in that area. Ill check if thats the same side in a bit.

still good on the leak. Keg is approaching boil, can hear it roaring, no.signs of damp spots or leaks. Fingers crossed. and toes.. and eyes..
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

No leaks! Hopefully it stays. Letting the water sit in there til its cool enough to dump. Yeah i need a drain lol.
high hopes for no leaks rest of cooling
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Well, just take another 2 weeks off and solder in a drain fitting!
/ducks as the jar of flux flies past my head
:P
j3hx
Bootlegger

Post by j3hx »

zapata wrote:Well, just take another 2 weeks off and solder in a drain fitting!
/ducks as the jar of flux flies past my head
:P
Haha i know right.. I feel confident i
with a lil ole drain. Hopefully it continues to hold. Thanks for all the help guys!