Hello from Ireland

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cantona1111
Novice

Hello from Ireland

Post by Cantona1111 »

Hi guys,

Long time stalker on this wonderful resource. I have finally decided to dip my toes in and see what happens. I worked in a craft brewery and home brewed for a number of years, i had stopped but Im planning to get back into doing something in my spare time and I have always wanted to try my hand at creating wonderful tasty distiller beverages.

I am currently in the planning and gathering equipment stage. My plan is to procure a keg (from previous employer hopefully) or go with adapted home heating copper cylinder with a modular pot still setup initially. I was thinking a 24 x 2 inch column, T piece, triclamp cap/thermometer on top (open to adding reflux parts later), 90 degree bend with a 24 x 2 inch shotgun with 5 1/2 inch cooling tubes. Im hoping to have a 5 kw heater with a controller. I might use a mixture of copper and stainless, Im not sure if that make much difference. A lot will depend on my budget and how far my secondary school engineering skills get me.

Looking forward to getting in an commenting on all the lovely builds I see here regularly.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Ireland

Post by Swedish Pride »

Welcome in lad, sound like a good enough plan, throw in a fill port and a drain and you're golden.
Don't be a dick
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Welcome! Glad to have another brewer come over to the dark side :clap: .

Your build sounds great, I love mine just like it. But, I would say 2 things. First, no need for a thermo port, as you would be removing that disc when you do nuetral, which is the only time it would give benefit. The other thing is I would suggest making the column length between 32"-36" (keep a mind to your ceiling hieght). There are 2 reasons. First, you want that hieght to get to azeo abv down the line. And second, it will give you the extra 8"-12" under your shotgun to place a jar at keg hieght :).

Good luck, welcome, stay a while :lol:
img20170318_114801.jpg
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, Cantona!
Cantona1111
Novice

Post by Cantona1111 »

Swedish Pride wrote:Welcome in lad, sound like a good enough plan, throw in a fill port and a drain and you're golden.

Sounds like a very Irish welcome :D ... was planning on a drain but wasn't planning the fill port. Dont plan on running any solids, washing/filling from the top port ? Might look into that a bit more, dont think I have equipment at home for cutting 4 inch hole in a keg. Really appreciate the input.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

you can fill it quicker with a dedicated fill port, I would do a 6" rather than 4" if I was to do it again.
Also easier to give it a rinse out through a fill port.

Mini grinder until I got close to size and then file did the trick for me, slow but you'll only do it once.
Don't be a dick