Apple banana brandy?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mountaindistiller
Novice

Apple banana brandy?

Post by Mountaindistiller »

So this is a real basic question. What im considering is a apple banana brandy. I will be making a 10 gallon batch. Bassically just want to know has anyone ever done this? If so how did it turn and what was the recipe used if you dont mind sharing.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Apple banana brandy?

Post by Pikey »

I think you've pisked two of teh more difficuly ones to get flavour from

Do you have a dehydrater ? If it were me - I'd dry sliced apple and sliced banana, then use teh dried fruit as a maceration - AFTER I distilled the spirit.

But then I do tend to look for the "Easyweigh" :lol:
Mountaindistiller
Novice

I actually do but its supper small lol it would take for ever but i might try im gonna mash the mash today. Im assuming since the bananas and apples got so much sugar i would need less? How much would you say to use for 10 gallons. Would around 4 pounds per 5 gallon bucket be good. Im will be using 3 pounds of apple and 3 pounds of bananas for each bucket
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Mountaindistiller wrote: Would around 4 pounds per 5 gallon bucket be good. Im will be using 3 pounds of apple and 3 pounds of bananas for each bucket
Better read a while...I think you’ll be surprised. Here, start with this one: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=55815&hilit=banana

And this one: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19939

As for apples, I refer you to Cranky. See his epic thread in the Fruits & Vegetable forum...”Fruity Goodness”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mountaindistiller
Novice

Ok will do thanks for the reply
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Mountaindistiller wrote:Ok will do thanks for the reply
Then go back to the dehydrator ! :lol:
Mountaindistiller
Novice

I went ahead and made the mash. Just gonna try bananas first then apple, get those down then try to blend them maybe. First batch is gonna be banana. I will let you guys know how it turns out. I also had some backins from a corn run last week gonna give a sour mash a go. I have never taken time to use the backset before. Very interested on how the taste will differ. Whats the best place just to converse and post info on current runs. Not really to ask questions, more to just conversate
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You could start a thread about the banana brandy, let folks chime in on what you're doing or their experiences with what your doing or that they've already done.
Mountaindistiller
Novice

Made the run of banana tonight. Got little over 3\4 of a gallon. Had mild banana flavour that came out more towards the end. Im sad to say i do not have a hydrometer at the moment but all mixed its well over 100proof for sure. I like it it taste pretty good. Need to work on on gettin more banana flavour for sure. Gonna start aanother batch tomorrow and naybe try a batch of apple and see how that turns out. I will be doing alot of reading on here tonight about apple and banana mashes for sure before starting the next batches. Its fun chattin with yall thankyou for replying
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Mountaindistiller wrote:
............. Need to work on on gettin more banana flavour for sure. .................
Pikey wrote:
Mountaindistiller wrote:Ok will do thanks for the reply
Then go back to the dehydrator ! :lol:
Mountaindistiller
Novice

I def will give the dehydrator a go. I also got a few ideas from those forum links still sturrin posted they where very helpful . I went ahead and tried a recipe i found on here for cherry pie and omg is it good. Recipe did not call for sugar but i am gonna try and add a little i think itll make it taste like real pie almost haha.