S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

Post by BayouShine »

distiller_dresden wrote:What the hell is a snowball?
Snowballs are finely shaved ice with a flavored simple syrup added to it. Really popular down here with it's too hot to be productive outside.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

panikry83 wrote:
BayouShine wrote:Speaking of menus and all...

What do you guys want to munch on from cajun land this year?
That gumbo was pretty amazing, last year.
I'm bringing something other than boudin. Maybe another type of gumbo, not sure. I want to bring something that you won't be able to find in any of those "Cajun" restaurants.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

Ah mystery solved! And so much for maque choux I guess, oh well... Corn seemed a good fit for a meeting of us too.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Bring it big man, the more food people bring the better we will be.
Other than likker I'm not sure what to bring, I'm a Cajon but a very long time Virginia resident, we always make Cajon food in my home as I'm very proud to be a coon ass. lol
More than likely, I'll bring shrimp sauce pecaunte' or if time permits make it fresh right there.

Too bad craw fish ain't in season in Sept or we'd be having a good ole fashioned craw fish boil. Oh well:(
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hoping when invites go out that there will be room for me; if so I just made cuts and put my first apple brandy on wood today. It will be ready for y'all to sample come S3:18. My treatment plan once I'm happy with the wooding I have in mind for it is to proof down to 85, then find the firmest organic medium Fuji apples I can. I'll wash them really well, and will be placing 22.5oz (out of the 90oz total 80 proof I'll yield) in four jars, on four of those apples (one each) to mimic one of the finest offerings of a very fine French apple brandy - Calvados Drouin - Calvados Pomme Prisonnière.

By September this brandy should have been aging on these apples for about 3-3.5 months, I'll be putting a paper towel in the top of the jars and the top on tight, but the 'lid' upside down, allowing a very small angels' share so that this brandy can then age off very very finely for us all to enjoy as a really fine first attempt.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Is this by invitation only? If not, are rookies allowed or do we have to pay a special tariff??? :lol: It’s a long way from here, but, I’d love to get to meet some of you folks I’ve been corresponding with and sounds like it would be well worth the trip! If there is room, I’d love to attend (once I get a release from the warden). :ewink:
Hope to met y’all in PA.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm quite sure if there's no room at the home there will be some hotels near.
Either way I'm in pa in sept! :thumbup:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Well rats! The warden says I have a previous obligation that weekend. My frustrated response was, “So who else, that I don’t know, is getting married now????” Not the best response. :roll:
Looks like for now PA is not on my itinerary. I’ll regret not getting the opportunity to meet all of you folks. Maybe sometime down the road.
Have a blast!
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I'm looking forward to going, if space is there for me; but I'm wondering when the announcement is going out and hoping it'll be soon.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

As long as I'm not committed to anything already (wife is out of town for 3 days, so I don't know what I'm doing in life), I am totally there!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Randy, I'm not accepting any excuses from you. See ya there bud
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just checking in, the dates are set, my office knows I'll be gone and I'm looking forward to having a great weekend.

I have some good treats for you guys/gals, not alot but enough I hope I don't get pulled and searched. lol

I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds with all my hype but I'm just so fukn stoked to be able to meet some of you guys and be a part of something more than my own little world of this hobby and HD.

3 months seems like forever but we know a blink will blow that by quickly.

looking forward to this and some r&r from the every day life.
What does everyone else plan to bring? Drinks, food, etc etc
I have one Cajon dish I know anyone without a shellfish allergy will enjoy, if there's anyone that is allergic please state so so I don't get anyone in a dangerous situation.

Shit man, I'm giddy as a school girl on prom night thinking of this.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I haven't even had the chance to get a neutral wash going yet this year. Haven't fermented a drop. I need to get my priorities back out of order if I'm going to have anything to bring haha
distiller_dresden
Trainee

You got something Shine? I guess I won't make it. I was supposed to get a message/email even if there wasn't room, but I didn't get anything. I hope you guys have fun. I was really hoping to see you all there, I had my apple brandy aging, I have a LOT of things aging that I was planning on bringing along. Maybe next year y'all, or maybe something else can be arranged around these parts...

Shucks tho I ain't gonna lie, I feel like a 7 year old who woke up on Christmas morn and raced downstairs just to realize Santa forgot me and the tree is turned off/burnt out and nothing is there. :esad:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Not in a while, I hope the party is still on!?!?

I haven't seen him post lately but I don't look on every forum either. Hell he may have just posted the holy grail of posts. lol
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Well so we were supposed to get a confirmation of date message/email giving the exact date and he said he'd let me know if there was room, since I was new, one way or another, but I haven't seen anything at all. It sounded like you knew a firm date/more than I did, but I guess not still huh?

Maybe I will still see you/all! I'll have apple brandy with a bit o pear in it, cherry mango brandy, and lychee papaya brandy, plus some rum or two (I think the honey butter vanilla hazelnut rum for sure), and some of my Golden Promise malt scotch. Who knows what else by then...
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

I never gave a specific date when I would be getting back to anyone - I'll get my information to you if/when it's available. I've been sending emails out to people as the date gets closer. I assure you the party is still happening.

DD - As I've said to you in previous emails, there are veteran forum members that have been attending these things for a few years now. I want to make sure that they are accommodated before I start inviting additional people as I've only got so much room at my place to host people.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

I've been crazy busy the last few months with various thing - not that I'm very active online to begin with but, I was sitting down this evening reading through the last few years worth of Jedfest and Truckorama type threads and it made me realize, this is not being talked up enough. Ask anyone who's been to a meet and greet, it's such a great time. Great people, awesome food, and great drinks. It's overshadowed a few family vacations (dont tell my wife I said that tho).

I've sent out emails to everyone with my address. I'm sure all of you can get a hold of SCD but, if you need my number for anything, let me know. I'll PM it to you. I'm kind of a hermit when it comes to online and the forums but I do lurk around.

Weekend of September 23rd - pot luck style, I'll be off Friday to Monday. Wife will be heading out Friday night with the kids and be back on Sunday at some point. Suburbia for sure but, my neighbors are pretty great.

Keep it alive friends! It's gonna be fun!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

By all means , keep it alive . Some strong bonds have been built through this site and the meetings . I got the first week of August committed in Louisiana . Planning to still make your party . Will PM you .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

panikry83 wrote:I've been crazy busy the last few months with various thing - not that I'm very active online to begin with but, I was sitting down this evening reading through the last few years worth of Jedfest and Truckorama type threads and it made me realize, this is not being talked up enough. Ask anyone who's been to a meet and greet, it's such a great time. Great people, awesome food, and great drinks. It's overshadowed a few family vacations (dont tell my wife I said that tho).

I've sent out emails to everyone with my address. I'm sure all of you can get a hold of SCD but, if you need my number for anything, let me know. I'll PM it to you. I'm kind of a hermit when it comes to online and the forums but I do lurk around.

Weekend of September 23rd - pot luck style, I'll be off Friday to Monday. Wife will be heading out Friday night with the kids and be back on Sunday at some point. Suburbia for sure but, my neighbors are pretty great.

Keep it alive friends! It's gonna be fun!
I find myself doing the same thing ever now and again. I just went through the whole thread for S3:17 over at TBs a few days ago. The missus and I had a great time, and we're looking forward to this one.

Hopefully there's some new lies for the bench once we're all together.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

So I think I'll be making it y'all and I couldn't possibly be more excited! I also just found the maple syrup rum thread by RandyMarshCT and I REALLY hope he makes it so I can try some of that, because I am WAY beyond curious with all the positive things I read there, especially with Odin saying it's the best rum he's had. I love the things RE aging Randy talks about doing with it.

I'm gonna have some really interesting things for the members. I have a rum aging now that I will be proofing down in a couple weeks that I've been pulling it's dominoes, then soaking them in cognac and some in sherry, letting them dry, then dropping them back in. I also got some high natural vanillan med toast French oak dominoes from Still Dragon that I tossed one in and they have an AMAZING level of chocolate/cocoa in them that has added to this rum in a profound way. The smells of cocoa/vanillan/custard/walnut/oak coming off the rum are just amazing right now. It's not done yet. Once I proof down I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. But it's already, and I'm not shitting y'all, sipping like a super premium rum, and it's only just been aging in a 2.5 gallon jug for 3 months on various dominoes:
Japanese maple, sugar maple, American/French/Hungarian oak - all of differing toasts for a flavor balance I was looking for. It was sitting in my garage during this sweltering summer heat and that seems to have made a lot of difference, but the biggest difference I noticed was a couple weeks ago when I used my new ultrasonic machine to give it 3 10 minute treatments. Where before all those woods were bungling around in there and it was a bit hot and like a New Orleans bar waiting for a fight to break out, post-treatment it turned into a symphony. Can't wait until not only I'm done working on this, but then when I get there and you all have a chance to try and comment on this beast of a rum. It's certainly something I'm already proud of and I feel I've outdone my skill level at only 7 months distilling.

I'll also have my apple/pear brandy, my lychee/papaya/pear brandy, my mango/cherry/pear brandy... And I'm not even sure what else yet. I MAY bring a bottle of 'Stolen Overproof Rum' which is store-bought, however it is quite a treat, it's only a 375, however folks, this is a HAMPDEN rum, and it's QUITE a thing, lemme tell you... FUNK FUNK FUNK and beyond that, creme brulee, caramel/bananas foster, I had to go through some crazy shite to get a hold of two bottles of it.

I am really looking forward to trying ShineOn's butter rum, also his estery funky dunder rum, that's gonna be something I can't wait for.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

This is shaping up to be another great party .I see pepper jelly , smokehouse beans , and a couple slabs of ribs as my contribution to the potluck . Maybe some of SOH"s salsa as well .
Here's to old friends meeting again .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Looking forward to it, I'll have some goodies too!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Shine0n wrote:Looking forward to it, I'll have some goodies too!
That gonna include sweet corn ?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hopefully some good corn likker and 20-30 ears of some good sweet corn.
See how many I have left during harvest.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Well, usually I bring a big old box of Jersey sweet corn. But this year, we'll damn be able to go out the morning of and pick the sweetest corn right of the damn stalk!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds good to me SCD, everyone knows how much we like corn so there just can't be too much. lol

Looks like the corn/barley/wheat is in order then. (white)
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Getting close boys! 51 days and counting.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Man I need to make my agings HURRY the F up. I'm hopin' the heat sticks around so maybe the coconut sugar distillate I just put on medium and heavy toasted maple in the garage will be ready for y'all to try. I'm tellin' ya this is the (I'm calling it coconut - shit it ain't rum... but it ain't sugarhead neither, it's smooth as supple college girls pulling you down and smiling -- no offense to any women folks present) thing y'all have got to give a try making. Trying this when I'm done with it will convert you I'm certain.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Well, usually I bring a big old box of Jersey sweet corn. But this year, we'll damn be able to go out the morning of and pick the sweetest corn right of the damn stalk!
Hey , my bad and I apologize .
I was speed reading through the web and sent a post to the wrong feller . Your corn is the best ; on the ear or in the jar .