Vote please

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Vote please

Post by Distillernz »

Cannot make my mind up. If it were you and these were the options what would get your vote and if you have time why.

Option 1 http://www.stilldragon.com.au/4-dash-1- ... te-column/

Option 2 https://milehidistilling.com/product/co ... -hi-flute/

Option 3 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-Whole ... 2e0exRdhWP

Apparently, they are all made in China? I am based in NZ
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Vote please

Post by NZChris »

I don't know what you want to make, so I have no idea what you need to make it.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Whiskey, Rum mainly
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

I make whiskey and rum and have a the still dragon setup, 4" 4 plates. Depending on your boiler size you may want to consider their pro caps for that column. Procaps generally put out at least twice the output.

I have the pro caps on a 150l boiler and crank out about 5 litres and hour at 85% ABV from a wash of 10%.

Can't comment on the other stills. But I can say that the service from Still Dragon is A+++
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

To make great whisky and rum you need copper in the boiler and in the vapour path. Keep that in mind when designing or buying your still. SS might be very shiny and cheap and the typical HBS owner will be very keen on selling it to you and all that, but SS isn't copper and it has none of the flavour advantages of copper.
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

NZChris wrote:To make great whisky and rum you need copper in the boiler and in the vapour path. Keep that in mind when designing or buying your still. SS might be very shiny and cheap and the typical HBS owner will be very keen on selling it to you and all that, but SS isn't copper and it has none of the flavour advantages of copper.
Good point. The Still Dragons are a SS column with copper plates. Most consider this enough.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

NZChris wrote:To make great whisky and rum you need copper in the boiler and in the vapour path. Keep that in mind when designing or buying your still. SS might be very shiny and cheap and the typical HBS owner will be very keen on selling it to you and all that, but SS isn't copper and it has none of the flavour advantages of copper.
With that in mind, And the fact that they are all made in china anyway, Of the three would this be the best option https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-Whole ... 2e0exRdhWP
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

Not everything made in china is the same standard. Personally I wouldn't touch anything from ali express. Pick a brand that has trust, reputation and good reviews from the distilling community.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

vqstatesman wrote:Not everything made in china is the same standard. Personally I wouldn't touch anything from ali express. Pick a brand that has trust, reputation and good reviews from the distilling community.
Not sure I agree about not purchasing anything from Aliexpress but I am hesitant to purchase something like this. And I do notice the seller does not appear to have sold ANY of these units and has zero feedback so I guess that one is scratched off the list..

I definitely want to get the purchase right..
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

At first glance the third one looks the best. If the first two options are coming via the states check the postage but sit in a safe place first. I don't know if there are reliable flute builders in NZ but there are several in Oz. As far as getting freaked out by dealing with China be assured all of those three come from there .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Seeing as you are in NZ can I offer option 4) http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow .......and no I have no vested interest other than yours
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Yummyrum wrote:Seeing as you are in NZ can I offer option 4) http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow .......and no I have no vested interest other than yours
+1 on a vote for option 4......you won’t regret it as they are quality stills, pretty hard it beat IMO
and yes I bought one also.

As for making rum & whiskey I prefer to use my trusty old pot still, it’s pretty hard to replicate that full bodied flavour with a column still. IMO Well at least I have not been able to.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Copperhead road wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Seeing as you are in NZ can I offer option 4) http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow .......and no I have no vested interest other than yours
+1 on a vote for option 4......you won’t regret it as they are quality stills, pretty hard it beat IMO
and yes I bought one also
Copper that reads IMO , and I do suck at english :oops: , that I also bought a CCSC still ... I didn't .. I built mine .... but if I was to buy one , yes :thumbup: , that would be my choice .

I would trust Empty's experience over any Chinese clone machine any day
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

I have the #1 option from the states, punkin is a good guy. Honestly any of them would fit your bill. Just try to stay modular. You will thank yourself later when you are experimenting :)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Copperhead road wrote: As for making rum & whiskey I prefer to use my trusty old pot still, it’s pretty hard to replicate that full bodied flavour with a column still. IMO Well at least I have not been able to.
Then you have thus far failed to take full advantage of all the variables available to you as that still can be ran from full stripping pot to full CM reflux. For the most part it's just about vapour speed verses deflagmator coolant ( naturally a packed module and slower run for full reflux.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yummyrum wrote:
Copperhead road wrote:
and yes I bought one also
Copper that reads IMO , and I do suck at english :oops: , that I also bought a CCSC still ... I didn't .. I built mine .... but if I was to buy one , yes :thumbup: , that would be my choice .

I would trust Empty's experience over any Chinese clone machine any day
Perhaps, "I also bought one".

for unambiguous English.

Geoff
The Baker
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I would build my own based on still dragon or affordable distillery equipment parts. I would use sieve plates instead of bubble caps as they are cheaper and will run 50% faster. Personally I found 4 plates are not needed, but to each their own. I run either 2 or 3 depending on the product or packed for vodka.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

You would have thought that as distilling is totally legal in NZ there would be some good still builders here but apparently not, Well if I can't find one in NZ next best option is our brothers from Australia and I have gone with option 4. http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/
Thanks guys for the input and great advice.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Distillernz wrote:You would have thought that as distilling is totally legal in NZ there would be some good still builders here but apparently not, Well if I can't find one in NZ next best option is our brothers from Australia and I have gone with option 4. http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/
I had a couple of drinks while posting, was just trying to say I bought option 4 also. (5 plate CCSC modular flute)
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

thecroweater wrote:
Copperhead road wrote: As for making rum & whiskey I prefer to use my trusty old pot still, it’s pretty hard to replicate that full bodied flavour with a column still. IMO Well at least I have not been able to.
Then you have thus far failed to take full advantage of all the variables available to you as that still can be ran from full stripping pot to full CM reflux. For the most part it's just about vapour speed verses deflagmator coolant ( naturally a packed module and slower run for full reflux.
Think I will have to sit down with you next time I’m in Ballarat so you can give me some pointers. :thumbup:
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Copperhead road wrote:
Distillernz wrote:You would have thought that as distilling is totally legal in NZ there would be some good still builders here but apparently not, Well if I can't find one in NZ next best option is our brothers from Australia and I have gone with option 4. http://coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au/wordpress/
I had a couple of drinks while posting, was just trying to say I bought option 4 also. (5 plate CCSC modular flute)
Hey Copperhead what made you choose the 5 plate? I was leaning towards the 4 plate myself.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You would be most welcome CHR.
There is little difference between 4 and 5 plates I've found, that is until you try for neutral. Running slow with a packed section it is delivered just that bit more scrubbed which seems to clean it up much better IMHO :thumbup:
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Well you would not believe how hard it is to give away your money and purchase some distilling equipment. Tried to get a custom build done Failed, Tried to go to Still Dragon they would not reply to emails or phone calls and after about 4 emails got hold of Gary who must have been too busy to send me an invoice for what I wanted, must be great to be doing so well in business that you can turn away customers that fall in your lap.
Now this may well end up in disaster, But the way I figure it is there are lot's of people on here that manage to build there own stills so this company in China who's customer service so far has been nothing short of exceptional got my money and dollar for dollar you can't beat the deal. Yes I know the old saying you get what you pay for but as nobody else I tried was interested I took the gamble.
PI-100L+7.10 (3).pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

When I built my first there were no sellers of ready built stills for the NZ home distiller. In hindsight, that was a good thing because there were no sellers of stills using second best materials for me to choose from, so I had to do my own research and build stills out of what I could find.
Early help I got was from my gasket supplier who searched for gasket materials for me and only found one suitable material, PTFE, (I don't believe there have been any advances since then). My research told me that copper was necessary in the boiler and vapor path and back then there were no sellers and home brew shop proprietors trying to sell me SS, so I didn't have that distraction. My research told me that pot stills were ideal for flavored products like rum, whiskey and brandy, which was what I was intending to make, so I knew that plated columns weren't needed for anything I would want to make any time soon.

All in all, it's worked out very well. Over the years I have built up a set of half a dozen stills, with a large variety of configurations, that cost me bugger all and can make me anything from neutral to highly flavored essence.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Distillernz wrote:
Copperhead road wrote:
Hey Copperhead what made you choose the 5 plate? I was leaning towards the 4 plate myself.
Because Emptyglass likes to supply them with 5 plates so they can be used for neutral as well. 4 plates was not available anymore as a complete package as far as I know.

My 5th plate and section gets used as a paperweight most of the time lol

I have also given up trying to make good sippin whiskey with my column and mostly use my potstill.

Many blokes can make awesome brown spirits with a plater, I’m just not one of them!
Would love to watch one of the real experienced fellas like @crow, @yummyrum or @SBB run one so I can see what I am doing wrong, it’s a shame to have a copper Lamborghini parked in the garage and not getting driven to it’s full potential
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

@copperhead, these many blokes you speak of can make a great product from a Flute. You have tasted some. This should kinda say to you that granny's scones taste good from the same oven that my scones dont taste as good from. What is granny doing to make her bikuts taste so good when I'm using the same equipment :roll:

You could jump the gun and buy a still from "some guy" in Kentucky and hope it arrives in Au as described.

Granny didn't make delicious scones/bikuts the day her granny showed her how to, but she hung in there and now she does. You've been privy to some good advice and some shortcuts. you have listened to them and you've made some good product. Given time, you will learn how to convert what you have learnt driving your Lambo slowly, and get better lap times.
Its easy enough to ride a pot still in a pot still race. dump half of what you make and hang the cost, its not really hard if your looking at it without cost in mind.
Kind like letting a valet drive your car for you.

@Distillernz as much as you may think buying a still is like buying a pair of underpants from a store, it dont work that way. Perhaps you should buy aT500 from a brew shop and make some fine quality whiskey or rum flavoured vodka from turbo yeast.

Perhaps you could ask Still Spirits to throw in a free T shirt. And as the T shirt degrades, your whiskey flavoured rum will be ok to drink when the t shirt becomes a dip stick rag.

Dont be angry. Dont be grumpy. Your a New Zealander. You have the right to demand results. Dont you?

Perhaps you might want to re-asses your position of authority and ask yourself do you want to make something to drink and how keen are you to make something thats worthy to drink

I understand you have researched this hobby for a few weeks now and you are very learned, I understand you have worked out China can give you all you need. Good for you dude.
I hope you get the results you deserve.

If you can develop some patience, it will serve you well. 8 year old whisky cant be made next week. Neither can a still. I'd suggest if Garry cant make what you want next week, perhaps you should ask LWTCS.
Sorry,I forgot you got it all worked out from China, just like Copperhead did from Kentucky.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Emptyglass, lots of valid points and you have a well-earned reputation around here for building a quality product and by looking at your work rightly so. I realise time and patience are your friends when it comes to this craft. Got plenty of one but apparently not enough of the other.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Pretty glad you guys found it too hard to reply to emails this is $2400 US delivered to NZ
Attachments
1 (7).jpeg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Pretty impressive .
Looks like maybe the bottom 3 modules are upside down .
Will you have to get your still room rewired to handle that boiler power ?
Jeff34
Novice

Post by Jeff34 »

I went with option 2. Mile Hi has been easy to work with. Took about 6 weeks to get a 4” 6 plate column and boiler. Went together easy and works well. You can add copper to the top section or into the dephlag if you want more copper. My sections are copper with copper plates.
Cheers!