Does this make sense for controlling cooling?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Does this make sense for controlling cooling?

Post by MtRainier »

I'd put this on the input to my dephleg.

I'll turn open the ball valve to quickly go full reflex for a while to compress the fractions in the plates in the flute and close it down to control with the needle valve to tweak it for the run. With just the ball valve I have trouble controlling it.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Does this make sense for controlling cooling?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yes its a good idea , and quite a few people have done it that way before. It also makes it extremely easy to go into full reflux or out of full reflux as need be , without touching your needle valve setting. :thumbup:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Sure that will work. A few here do it the same way. I didn't have a problem with the ball valve only, but a fine tuner will not hurt.

Posted with SBB
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

the concept is good .I use this method .( needle in parallel with a Ball valve ) :thumbup:

But as the preferred place to stick them is in the water outlet side , they do tend to have extremely hot water flowing through them .What temps are those plastic hoses and fittings rated for ?
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Yummyrum wrote:the concept is good .I use this method .( needle in parallel with a Ball valve ) :thumbup:

But as the preferred place to stick them is in the water outlet side , they do tend to have extremely hot water flowing through them .What temps are those plastic hoses and fittings rated for ?
I asked about that recently when thinking about doing this. Cranky and shady lane said input side, still_stirrin said output side. I am going to try this on the input side for the reason you mention, hot water. They’re polypropylene which melts much higher than boiling. These John Guest fittings and tubing do have pressure ratings at elevated temps, but on the output side they won’t be under pressure if I have the valve on input. Different story on output if this doesn’t work out.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'll add my vote to the out put side.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

If you put them on the input you can get syphoning effects happening . Depends on your setup . Whether you drain off into a sink or send back to a tank how that can be delt with .
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Well, if they go on the output side I’ll have to redo it all to change the tubing color to red. :D
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Output side throttling to make sure and keep the deflag full of water. If you put it on the input side, any air leak or boiling will allow the water to drain out of the deflag and you will get an air pocket. That will give inconsistent cooling.

I always flow condensers from the bottom up for the same reason even if it's not correct for the most heat transfer.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Thanks. It will be bottom to top for me when hooked up for both condensers. Gravity makes bubbles hard to eliminate in operation on the other direction in the dephleg.