5g water jugs

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

5g water jugs

Post by Almtngoat »

Would the water jugs, water cooler type, be safe for storing feints till I have enough for a run?
Life's too short to not give it all you have, live, learn and drink whiskey!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 5g water jugs

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Glass carboys are safe but not the PET or plastic ones. Be careful with tje glass ones too.

Cheers!
-jb
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

5g water jugs

Post by Almtngoat »

Are the water jugs ,ie water coolers, safe for storing feints prior to a run or fermenting?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Plastic is an absolute negatory for storage.
Get those giant 1/2 gallon mason jars. Easy to handle and you don't have to worry about losing a lot of feints --or blood-- if one breaks.
Put wax paper under the metal disk to keep the plastisol liner out of contact, and screw the lid down.
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

What about the plastic bottles from the liquor store?
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Almtngoat wrote:What about the plastic bottles from the liquor store?
Best not to use any type of plastic at all for storage, I use one gal glass demijohns.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Almtngoat wrote:What about the plastic bottles from the liquor store?
Plastic will get absolutely no love here at all, and really even trying to discuss it goes against forum rules. The only synthetic that is widely accepted here is PTFE (Teflon), period. Geez, I just became 'that guy'...

Yes, the liquor business uses plastic bottles, but more for ease of handling (light weight, low breakage) and economy (cheap), not because it is superior. I doubt the fact that big business uses it convinces many here of its suitability for storage of alcohol. Also, consider many of us can and do produce azeotropic (or near) alcohol which is more likely to have a negative effect on a plastic container. I know a guy who re-uses old plastic bottles and he's convinced they are OK just because they originally held liquor, but I have tried to convince him otherwise without success. Guess what... I don't drink his booze.

Glass or stainless are best for storing anything coming off your still, wood during aging and maturing brown liquor of course. I personally use glass gallon and half-gallon jugs and mason jars for flavouring (relatively shot-term). For short term collection and storage of low wines I do use glass carboys / demijohns despite the possibility of breakage, which I believe is rare. I have a contact whose business uses gallon and half-gallon jugs and he will sell me a few cases at a time, new and unused.

Best to just drop the idea of plastic jugs, even for feints. Just because you can does not mean you should.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Almtngoat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Almtngoat »

OK no plastic, gotcha
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Those gallon jugs that cheap wine comes in are great to have around also for storage.

I did however use a couple water jugs for fermenters while in Mexico, they were food grade plastic so they worked. Just a pain to clean.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

I have a friend that just uses a beer keg.
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I racked some apple wash - low abv 5%ish into a few of those jugs (a lot easier than dealing with glass) well one of them damn plastic jugs developed a pin hole leak and I lost about 3 gals of precious fermented apple :(

Lesson learned - NO more plastic jugs!!

OVZ
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have used 2.5 gallon stainless milk pails. Really work well. Won't break like glass. Available from dairy supply stores.
Last edited by bluefish_dist on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

bluefish_dist wrote:I have used 2.5 gallon milk pails. Really work well. Won't break like glass
But the cheap 5 gal jugs that come with the water coolers, after my last experience with them = just say no

OVZ