Need some Needle Valve Advise

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Need some Needle Valve Advise

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

I have been marching through the well made "how to build a boka" page that Husker complied and I have hit a stop at the takeoff valve (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8870). I don't have the parts on-hand and I can't quite put things together at the hardware store in a way that I would see them working out. My main source of confusion is just what is being suggested for the cap that goes on the bottom, in which the hole for the needle is drilled out. Some alternatives are seen in other posts (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18270) which just seem to use the fit of a large bolt to the sidewalls for the valve control as it opens or closes off the fluid path.

Anyways I can't for the life of me find the post that I was reading about some eBay deals on some nice needle valves. I found one (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60842&p=7400588&hil ... e#p7400588) which is similar and I have been looking up some of the specs on the valve listed there. From Parker I got a .pdf regarding various specs of the valves they use, but it doesn't seem to be very descriptive (http://www.parker.com/Literature/Instru ... T_4110.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

I am looking at this valve on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-1-2-NPT ... lves&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) and thinking "what I am missing?" I'm trying to evaluate it based on what I see, rather than what it's listed as. It has the "T-bar" valve so it is either a needle or a blunt tip (according to the .pdf) and both seem to have very good drop wise control. I can't seem to find what the innards are made of though and I'm assuming that might be why it's so cheap?

Also if this is the real deal and I'm not missing something super obvious, then would it be as easy as using to compression fittings with 1/2" threads and screwing that right into the takeoff line?

EDIT: Here is the link to that page that couldn't find earlier, found it hiding a couple tabs in. (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52643&p=7267005&hi ... n#p7267005)
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Need some Needle Valve Advise

Post by MtRainier »

I got this one recently to try out.

https://www.amazon.com/HittecH-Needle-F ... 55XM9?th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It has a metal seat with what looks like a ptfe stem gasket. Could be a different plastic too, but it won’t be under pressure so you aren’t likely to get much up there.

Here is a pic of it taken apart
E999E0E0-ACE7-4FDC-908C-F0A938AA7BD7.jpeg
E999E0E0-ACE7-4FDC-908C-F0A938AA7BD7.jpeg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 958 times
hotmaildotcom1
Novice

Post by hotmaildotcom1 »

How's it holding up? How is the control dropwise?
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I’m sorry, but I can’t give insight on how it will hold up. I got it to try regulating condenser water for my flute and don’t have a boka. Seems like it would work fine, though, after a good cleaning. Mine had some machine grease and shavings left on it inside. At around 10 bucks it might be worth the test. It ships from China, FYI.