apricot stones

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mirabel
Novice

apricot stones

Post by mirabel »

I was reading a magazine in the dentists waiting room in France which described aging spirit with apricot stones. I am interested in aging with different woods and I am keen to try this but I am worried that they contain cyanide would this be an issue ? Any help would be useful
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: apricot stones

Post by still_stirrin »

Tests have shown that apricot stones do contain cyanide. Macerating does dissolve some of it. So you will be exposed to some of the poison. How much and what the effects are is variable.

I guess if you’re a gambler, then the opportunity is tempting. Me....no thanks.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It's a strong flavoring. You make Amaretto from vodka this way. It overwhelmes other flavors. Total different than oak.
I don't think anyone here can prove you that it's safe or unsafe. You will find informations online that it cures cancer when you eat five stones a day. And you will find informations like if you make a apricot wine and one stone breaks up you have to toss the whole wine or you will poisoned.
At least we know it's a traditional recipe. Traditional recipes normally are safe.
Simply collect during the summer stones from apricots or mirabelles, cherries, plums... ,always when you eat some, in a jar with alcohol 40-60%. At the end of the summer take them out, filter it with coffee filters. Perhaps dilute it with neutral. And add a bit sugar.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

der wo wrote:It's a strong flavoring. You make Amaretto from vodka this way. It overwhelmes other flavors. Total different than oak.
I don't think anyone here can prove you that it's safe or unsafe. You will find informations online that it cures cancer when you eat five stones a day. And you will find informations like if you make a apricot wine and one stone breaks up you have to toss the whole wine or you will poisoned.
At least we know it's a traditional recipe. Traditional recipes normally are safe.
Simply collect during the summer stones from apricots or mirabelles, cherries, plums... ,always when you eat some, in a jar with alcohol 40-60%. At the end of the summer take them out, filter it with coffee filters. Perhaps dilute it with neutral. And add a bit sugar.
Is that using the whole stone der wo ? or just the kernel ?

I think I can say with some confidence that if "apricot kernels" / "cherry pits" etc etc etc were in reality poisonous to the stage of being a health hazard, they would not be on sale in shops !

And some of the more enterprising Murderers would be making up "Special Marzipan" to do away with husbands they were unhappy with ! :twisted:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Whole stones. Something like 1l stones filled up to 3l with 40%abv. It will get also a nice Bourbon like color.
Never experimented with only kernels. Sounds like a lot of work.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

der wo wrote:Whole stones. Something like 1l stones filled up to 3l with 40%abv. It will get also a nice Bourbon like color.
Although it is a bit of effort smashing the stones I have only used kernels (and only a few times but I like the taste.)
I had the idea that the shells would leave an (unpleasant) woody taste.
But maybe not, we age the spirit in wooden barrels, but I think oak would taste a lot better.

Worth experimenting, anyway....

Geoff
The Baker
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

der wo wrote:Whole stones. Something like 1l stones filled up to 3l with 40%abv. It will get also a nice Bourbon like color.
I like Amaretto - I'll give that a go ! 8)

Just been aroud to the shop and find it at 15% abv - yes nice bourbon colour - but sounds rather low strength - Is that the traditional strength ?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

It is a bit labour intensive to smash the stones but while the still is going....

Geoff
The Baker