Reflux column on a thumper

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Reflux column on a thumper

Post by Alchemist75 »

Searching I came across this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48453
Which depicts a design featuring a reflux column mounted on a thumper. It got my attention simply because it could help me with my current clearance problem. Bigbird never posted a follow up on how the thing really worked out though he appeared optimistic. Has anyone worked with a similar design that could talk about it? Theory is welcome of course but any hands on would be the most helpful here. Your input on this concept is welcome! I'm very curious....
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Reflux column on a thumper

Post by still_stirrin »

It works just like a reflux column that is directly mounted to a boiler...except that the vapors are plumbed into the thumper instead of "produced" there. The reflux system works just like it would on a boiler, condensing and purifying the rising vapors while the falling condensate accumulates in the vessel below the column. Ba-da-bing!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Thanks still! You're opinion is always useful. I forsee a flurry of building in my near future....
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I sometimes use my spiral riser on my thumper. This riser reacts more or less like a reflux column and the effect is just like stillstirring says.

In fact a thumper is just a boiler, heated by incoming vapour in stead of gas or electricity and also fed by incoming vapour with both alcohol and water (and taste).
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

By my estimate a set up like that would give me a total of 8 theoretical plates at high reflux. I'd probably run it a bit less tight than 8 though so likely closer to 6.5-7 which is perfect, I like flavor retention.
Smeg
Novice

Post by Smeg »

Build it and run it,,, all the theory is just theory. Theory is just a guide, there are always variables in practice.
You wont know till you try.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Stuck my flute on my thumper . viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59918#p7388267

Worked but were issues with flooding on the bottom plate . In hind sight I was probably running it too hard .
In another attempt I tried using the boiler as a steam generater and the wash in the thumper ( was using the 80 liter keg as thumper and 50 liter for steam)
But boiled the 50 liter dry .
Things to be aware of. .... in reflux mode , there will be a substantial buildup of liquid in the thumper cmpared to using a pot head on it .
Due to the extended runing time ( due to refluxing) , the liquid in the boiler my boil dry if not carefully planned .

An overflow from the thumper back to the boiler is a cunning plan as are sight glasses in each otherwise

Apart from that it work well :thumbup: reflux columns love a high avb under them :D
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I'd think you'd want to start with an empty thumper, hold the column at full reflux until you start getting audible activity in said thumper and then begin taking off the first bits. The thumper is surely just another plate in the column to be loaded in the usual way. Maybe I'm mistaken about that idea.
Coming up with some sort of return line might be a hair tricky, seems like it'd need a valve of some sort.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Return line aside, the thumper volume would need to be at least as big as the charge in the boiler itself, probably a bit bigger.