There are three kinds of People out there... a modular build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

There are three kinds of People out there... a modular build

Post by The Booze Pipe »

My end goal here is to make gin. Some people prefer a boiler infused, a vapor infused gin, or a combination of both. I prefer the vapor infused method myself. Currently, to make my gin I make a pot stilled spirit, distilled a few times to remove flavors. I would like to take this four step process to a two or three step process.
I'm considering a Coolant Management still in order to make a lightly flavored spirit (I'm hesitant to use the terms, vodka or neutral as I don't think a true neutral spirit is necessary for my likes and preferences) consisting of a 36" Packed column with a bubble cap on top. The two reasons for the bubble cap are to have a visual window into the column, and I already own the bubble cap so why not use it.
Would there be a benefit or detractor to the bubble cap section on top of the packed column? I've read that some people run plates under the packed column, what would be the difference?
The reason for choosing a CM is mainly the ease of build as I am limited with fabricating skills and tools, it's very easy to purchase the parts for this style of still. Also, I can pretty well comprehend the protocols for running it.
As for the modular design, I'm thinking a 4" x 24" spool, then an additional 18" spool with the 6" bubble cap/site glass section, 6" dephlagmator, and 2"x24" shotgun. That would allow the column to break down to the 24" section and the offset (carter) gin head put in place.
Questions, comments, or concerns?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: There are three kinds of People out there... a modular b

Post by Yummyrum »

Sounds pretty OK to me .
Having a CM deflag will mean you can put it in full reflux while changing / loading your gin basket , then open the deflag and continue collecting gin.

Yeah some put plates under a packed section . The idea is that the plates get the high ABV and the packing “polishes” the
Spirit . But seeing as you only have one plate , I recon you are probably on the right track using it as a sight glass module at the top to keep an eye on flooding etc .

I think you would be best to strip your wash , then run it through the packed section to get a clean base spirit , water it back down to 30-40% ABV and then do your run with the Carter head .

Sure you could do it on one run and once into hearts , put in full reflux , load your basket and off you go but I’d go with above first until you have mastered your still at making a clean spirit first . .... but its all about whats more important to you , time or quality . We all find our trade off point .
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

Booze Pipe
Have you considered the CCVM build?
As far as ease of build goes, it ranks pretty high.
No need to build, or purchase a dephlagmator, just coil some gas line.
You would still have the advantage that Yummy mentioned of being able to put it into full reflux and add the gin head.
If you choose to do a stripping run first, you could pull and cap the RC and run as a pot still.

Just food for thought,
Good luck on your build.
WillieP
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Thank you for the responses. I'm thinking I would make a finished spirit, then run the botanicals, all in a three step process. I am still considering a CCVM setup.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

I think a plate under the packed section will work better, I understand you want a sightglass on top. But I think the pool of liquid on top will collect and smear flavours that longer than a packed section. On the otherside there are ppl that run their packed colums in a semi flooded state, read liquid pool ontop of the packing and claiming good product. Would like to hear how both ways run.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Setsumi wrote:On the otherside there are ppl that run their packed colums in a semi flooded state, read liquid pool ontop of the packing and claiming good product.
Little bit of footage here for fans of semi flooded and flooded columns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJtNrnf ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

WillieP wrote:Booze Pipe
I've been researching the CCVM's and they sound like a better option for hobbyist. But Why are there so few four inch CCVM columns? I'm having a hard time finding much info on them.
Does the take-off diameter need to be equal to the column diameter with a four inch?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

The Booze Pipe wrote:
WillieP wrote:Booze Pipe
I've been researching the CCVM's and they sound like a better option for hobbyist. But Why are there so few four inch CCVM columns? I'm having a hard time finding much info on them.
Does the take-off diameter need to be equal to the column diameter with a four inch?
Booze Pipe
All the info I have learned on the take-off diameter says that it would depend on what reflux ratio that you are looking for.
If you were to use a 4x4x4 T then you could have a 1:1 reflux ratio. (50% to take off and 50% to reflux).
If you were to use less than 4 inch for your take off, you would always have more reflux than take off.
So it depends on that product you want to make and how you want to be able to run your still.

I am planning a 3 inch CCVM flute build, will be using a 3x2.5x3 inch T. That is what was available to me, and I am comfortable with that reflux ratio. If I would want to use it as a Pot still, I will pull the reflux condenser and cap the T.

Hope that all made sense.
WillieP

PS. You will also need a bit of horizontal piping before reducing the diameter on the way to the PC, for it all to work.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Thanks for the explanation Willie. It's starting to make more sense. With a smaller take-off, you get more reflux...but what does that do for the end product?

I'm in a funny predicament on this build because I have three inch copper pipe, but no three inch parts; on the other hand I have some four inch parts, but no four inch pipe. It looks like it will be fairly equal in price to build either size. So I'm trying to find out if there is a significant benefit to one or the other.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Maybe....
you could make it a modular set-up, using fittings that go from three-to-four inch...
Available in stainless or copper...
Geoff
The Baker
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

The Booze Pipe wrote:Thanks for the explanation Willie. It's starting to make more sense. With a smaller take-off, you get more reflux...but what does that do for the end product?

I'm in a funny predicament on this build because I have three inch copper pipe, but no three inch parts; on the other hand I have some four inch parts, but no four inch pipe. It looks like it will be fairly equal in price to build either size. So I'm trying to find out if there is a significant benefit to one or the other.
The short answer to the first question is that the more reflux you have the cleaner the product will be.
The long answer is a lot more complicated. (read till your eyes bleed LOL)
The plates are designed to carry over flavor with the advantage of high proof also.
The tall packed columns are used for tons of reflux action and a very neutral (flavorless) spirit.
When you combine the two (in varying number of plates, and different heights and types of packing. (or use none, and pot still it)) you are able to get the best of both worlds. So to speak. And with enough practice (which I do NOT have, total Noob here) you can produce any variety of different spirit. Clear as mud?

On the 3 or 4 inch thing, that's gotta be your call of coarse.
The only benefit that I am aware of in the larger diameter column is the amount of product you can distill in a given amount of time. Larger diameter = faster takeoff
You might want to do a search for the expected takeoff rates of both the 3 and 4 inch and see if that helps you.

I'm going 3 inch, I think/hope that will be more than fast enough for me.

Here's a thought, if you have the 3 inch copper pipe...
buy EZ-Flanges and tri-clamps to be able to make it modular.
then buy SS fittings (which are cheaper) and modular.
then sell the 4 inch copper fitting to finance the build.
(or vise versa if you want a 4 inch column)

Just throwing thoughts out there to see if anything sticks...
Good Luck,
WillieP
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

WillieP wrote:
The Booze Pipe wrote:Thanks for the explanation Willie. It's starting to make more sense. With a smaller take-off, you get more reflux...but what does that do for the end product?

The short answer to the first question is that the more reflux you have the cleaner the product will be.
The long answer is a lot more complicated. (read till your eyes bleed LOL)
The plates are designed to carry over flavor with the advantage of high proof also.
The tall packed columns are used for tons of reflux action and a very neutral (flavorless) spirit.
When you combine the two (in varying number of plates, and different heights and types of packing. (or use none, and pot still it)) you are able to get the best of both worlds. So to speak. And with enough practice (which I do NOT have, total Noob here) you can produce any variety of different spirit. Clear as mud?
I apologize for the rookie question, but thanks for the great answer! Ha my mind was going some where else with what you were saying.. anyway
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still