cloudy product?

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PG Brewer
Novice

cloudy product?

Post by PG Brewer »

In an attempt to make a orange liqueur I ended with a cloudy product. I started with a apple brandy of my own distillation at 55% ABV. In 2 litres of product I added the zest from two medium sized oranges and allowed it to set for 48 hours +/- to extract the flavour from the zest. Next I wanted to cut the end product to around 40% ABV. I plan to sweeten the end result with a simple blend of local honey and distilled water (250 ml of each heated on stove to dissolve) I strained and filtered the zest from the extraction. Into my mixing jar I added 500ml of bottled water and then proceeded to add the extraction to bring the ABV level down to approximately 47%(+/-) The extraction turned cloudy. At this point i haven't added any of the honey wash as i intend to add it a little at a time to desired sweetness. Why did it turn cloudy and will it settle out?

Thanks in advance from sunny PG
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: cloudy product?

Post by NZChris »

It's caused by the oils from the zest. If you want it to be clear you'll have to distill it. Even then you will have to strike a balance that doesn't louche.
PG Brewer
Novice

Post by PG Brewer »

Thanks Chris
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Add a little nice but strong spirit?
(Dunno but try it...)

I suspect you have an emulsion (the oils are incorporated in the liquid).
But if it is NOT an emulsion you can draw liquid off from below the oils floating on the top...
Have fun,
Geoff
The Baker