Are we close to legalization/decriminalization?

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

popcorn2014
Novice

Are we close to legalization/decriminalization?

Post by popcorn2014 »

5/6 years ago I was pretty uptight about this hobby. I still am to a degree (cops showing up and watching me run makes me pretty uneasy) but not to the degree of before. I have noticed how out in the open it seems in my state. We were one of the first states to decriminalize marijuana, and long before it was legal it was out in the open and almost never punished unless it was a major crime like selling a truckload.

Locally I see brew shops with huge distilling sections, and massive reflux stills with 25 gallon boilers for sale in the front window. It’s openly discussed and classes are even given. It sure seems like how legalization of pot went.

Technically the laws are still pretty specific, but it sure doesn’t seem enforced. At least around here.

Are a lot of states and the whole country on their way?
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Are we close to legalization/decriminalization?

Post by nerdybrewer »

Spotty enforcement is a problem on it's own.
You never know where you stand.

The big difference as I see it is that the government wasn't already making huge money in taxation of pot.
Now that they are raking it in just try growing and selling on your own, big busts for that happening around here.

With alcohol there has already been a huge entrenched system of taxation and bureaucracy and lobbyists and loads of money in government against home and hobby distillation.
IMHO it's a much harder fight.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
popcorn2014
Novice

Post by popcorn2014 »

Good point. Big brother saw increased revenue vs them seeing a huge decrease.

Either way it sure is nice to see it more out in the open. I figure they’d be going after the giant illegal still in public before targeting joe blow at home.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

If you are in the US....

Progress on this varies state by state. Some states have proposed legislation, others do not. Last I researched this I don’t know any states that are close to having enough support. Search the google for “legalize home distillation” and you’ll find links to groups that follow this. Some have links to state web sites where draft bills exist. The bills I have seen are ones where they propose to amend existing home brewing laws by simply adding the word “distilling” to the list of “beer” and “wine”, with no other changes. If only it were so simple.

You can also go straight to your state’s web site and search to see if any bills in the works. If not, send a note to your state reps and lobby your case.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Not too legal in Kentucky. They busted Pint-O-Shine, claimed he had a 200 gallon a week operation. The news story pictures a Pint's pattern classic copper Kentucky pot still, his profile on Artisan Distillers said he operated a 20 liter copper pot still. Major operation that....not legal yet, pot maybe, but we still cannot legally remove the excess water and impurities from our legally fermented beers and wines without risking becoming forced roommates with a gorilla named Bubba who thinks you are really "purdy"!
New Zealand, the home of the FREE!!!!
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

The bill before Congress for fixing the taxes on Brewers & Distillers is back alive again
according to the radio this morning. Don't know if it included home distillation or not but
I would suspect it does.

On Feb. 6, 2019 Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Roy Blunt (R-MO) re-introduced the CBMTRA (S.362) with the goal of making the lower FET permanent.

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

IF IT'S ON THE INTERNET, IT MUST BE TRUE...

This site says that it is legal in three states. (USA)
http://www.distillate.org/laws/list

I do not claim that the above listed link has factual information on it.
I am only passing it along, take it for what it's worth.

WillieP
Last edited by WillieP on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

"5/6 years ago I was pretty uptight about this hobby. I still am to a degree (cops showing up and watching me run makes me pretty uneasy)"

Are you in the States? Yeah, that would make me uneasy as well. I think I would tell them I had work to do and they needed to leave.

BG
popcorn2014
Novice

Post by popcorn2014 »

boda getta wrote:"5/6 years ago I was pretty uptight about this hobby. I still am to a degree (cops showing up and watching me run makes me pretty uneasy)"

Are you in the States? Yeah, that would make me uneasy as well. I think I would tell them I had work to do and they needed to leave.

BG

Oh yeah it’s uneasy. In my state they are conducting raids/executing search warrants on average gun owners under the ruse of needing to confiscate “dangerous assault weapons.”

They are using a self reported registry system and targeting people that went extremely far out of their way and spent money to stay compliant. Most of the time the person who’s house was raided was actually completely legal, but now must go to court and spend thousands to prove they were just to get their rifle back.

So yeah, I’m uneasy... welcome to nazi Germany...
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Coyote wrote:The bill before Congress for fixing the taxes on Brewers & Distillers is back alive again
according to the radio this morning. Don't know if it included home distillation or not but
I would suspect it does.

On Feb. 6, 2019 Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Roy Blunt (R-MO) re-introduced the CBMTRA (S.362) with the goal of making the lower FET permanent.

Coyote
I can't find the language on the bill. It's in committee still in the Senate and House. It's S.362 in the Senate and H.R. 1175 in the House.

More info here:

https://www.brewersassociation.org/indu ... eform-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.brewersassociation.org/gove ... -sponsors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.tester.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=5239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wouldn't count on home distilling being in there, but it would be nice if there was an organization that was advocating for it by suggesting language for the bill while it's still in the draft stage.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

The best way to get a foot in the door is to write, write, write. Mention hobby distillers, mention those bills, and point out the language from the previous bill that had over 80 sponsors. Stress safety, talk about the growth in craft wineries and breweries that happened after legalization of those hobbies and the increase in tax revenue from them.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Senator Tester, the main sponsor of the bill in the senate, is currently going around Montana talking to breweries and distilleries.

Maybe the members here could drop him a quick note on his senate page thanking him for his work in the taxation area and advocating the economic benefits of allowing small amounts of home distilling similar to how the growth in home brewing 20-30 years ago launched so many craft breweries.
OregonBerryPicker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OregonBerryPicker »

[quote="Coyote"]The bill before Congress for fixing the taxes on Brewers & Distillers is back alive again
I would suspect it does.

My Senator Ron Wyden doing something useful?

Well I'll be damned, I guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Skinnerback
Novice

Post by Skinnerback »

Am I missing the part about legalizing Home Distillation or or is this only tangentally connected to our hobby.