DEPHLEGMATOR IN CAP OF POT STILL

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

STUDY BUDDY
Novice

DEPHLEGMATOR IN CAP OF POT STILL

Post by STUDY BUDDY »

Hey folks,
I'm interested in installing a dephlegmator in the cap of my pot still (3/8" or smaller copper tubing wrapped around the inside of the cap), on one episode of moonshiners in season 3 or 4 mark and digger were installing one in a cap of a pot still and said it would basically cause more reflux which in turn would result in higher proof and increase the volume too but after they ran it they didn't give any insight on the results, that's the problem with tv... i've done some research on this and only can find where ppl put a dephlegmator around the outside of the thumper or where they put the deph. around the column but none on the cap of a pot still which would be like a hybrid i guess. Anyone know anyone who has done this?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: DEPHLEGMATOR IN CAP OF POT STILL

Post by still_stirrin »

Wow...did you search Youtube for input as well? The Discovery channel show has done more harm to our hobby than goodness. But, it has brought us a “bucket full” of new members. Welcome to the club.

Putting a condenser coil in your potstill’s cap will add some condensation. But reflux involves condensation and reboiling initiated by rising vapors. This occurs in the packing of a column. So, adding a condenser in a cap that allows the condensate to drip back to the boiler will do very little to improve your product...except dramatically increase the boil time and energy consumption.

You can’t always trust what the clowns on the “made for tv” show say...they do it for audience appeal, not necessarily for the industry. “Caveat emptor”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Fixed it for you:
still_stirrin wrote:“Caveat moonshinor”
:twisted:
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I was watching the same show the other night (there was nothing else on).

Mark & Digger were doing a "Sweet Potato & Molasses" run. When they dumped the boiler it was clear. :esurprised:
How did they take a Sweet potato Rum wash that was stereotypically Dark brown like rum. Run it. get clear liquor.... then end up with clear dunder too. :?
STUDY BUDDY
Novice

Post by STUDY BUDDY »

i figured that if it was super successful they would have them installed on all their stills. however, you wouldn't have ice cold water running thru the dephlegmator it would have to be warm prolly only a few degrees cooler than the head temp to be ideal. I take the tv show for exactly that, a tv show, but there is a lil truth to some of it. I bought about 8 big books and have read most of them and they are great. The books i have are: The Art of Fermentation, The Compleat Distiller, The Craft of Whiskey Distilling, Making Pure Corn Whiskey, Home Distilling, The Art of Home Distilling, The Home Distilling and Infusing Handbook, and The Ultimate Guide to Making your own Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, Brandy, Moonshine and More.
I ordered a copper pot still, thumper and worm kit from American Copper Works and it was to be delivered in 30 days, well today it should have been here and they havent even shipped it yet and dont respond to emails for shit. So far their service ain't great.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote: How did they take a Sweet potato Rum wash that was stereotypically Dark brown like rum. Run it. get clear liquor.... then end up with clear dunder too. :?
Alot of times (if not all) they're just distilling water
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:I was watching the same show the other night (there was nothing else on).

Mark & Digger were doing a "Sweet Potato & Molasses" run. When they dumped the boiler it was clear. :esurprised:
How did they take a Sweet potato Rum wash that was stereotypically Dark brown like rum. Run it. get clear liquor.... then end up with clear dunder too. :?
they probably had to do several takes. so IF they are actually running real alcohol and furthermore specific types of mashes at any point, they probably wouldnt do the whole run again to retake a shot of them dumping the still. they will just roll film on them dumping a water filled boiler because unless youre a distiller you probably would never know the difference. tv trickery.

also im sure they flimed them rinsing and washing out equipment so it may just be the narration over a clip shot on the rum mash site where they were cleaning the still instead of dumping backset. since they were on the same site they edit together clips to make the scenes. the narrator says something about emptying the boiler, the guys in the editing room see them dumping a still on their clip selections, add that to the scene. hope that makes sense im pretty lit and tired from working at the bar all night.

and that is IF they actually run liquor and not just water or whatever else
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

They have to be filming them distilling water except when they are filming at a licensed dsp. If they were running alcohol all the video would be admissible in court and they would all be serving time for making untaxed alcohol.

It’s a tv show, they need to have something to film, that’s why they always have new still and still sites. That is interesting, just watching them run liquor is pretty boring.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Welcome to the circus, Buddy!
This forum will provide you with the most up to date reliable info available.
There is much bad and conflicting information out there, come here with your question and, as you can see here, you will get prompt advice!

Good luck with your journey, keep us posted
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

bluefish_dist wrote:They have to be filming them distilling water except when they are filming at a licensed dsp. If they were running alcohol all the video would be admissible in court and they would all be serving time for making untaxed alcohol.

It’s a tv show, they need to have something to film, that’s why they always have new still and still sites. That is interesting, just watching them run liquor is pretty boring.

That was my poor attempt at "tongue in cheek humor".
I know that "reality TV" is TV not reality.
I guess what I should have pointed out was.....
Higher proof, possibly/probably. Higher volume......NEVER....10 gallons of 10% wash/mash will only produce a maximum of 2 proof gallons (period) !
STUDY BUDDY
Novice

Post by STUDY BUDDY »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Welcome to the circus, Buddy!
This forum will provide you with the most up to date reliable info available.
There is much bad and conflicting information out there, come here with your question and, as you can see here, you will get prompt advice!

Good luck with your journey, keep us posted
Hahaha idk if i would go as far as saying that "most up to date reliable info available". the majority of comments dont even have anything to do with my post and are just talking about the tv show. Everyone has an opinion and a lot of times it's just that, an opinion.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Study,

The information that was being passed along to you was.
1.....It is a TV show
2.....It is scripted to maintain viewers.
3.....not everything on TV (or the internet) is true.

Per my earlier post.
There is the possibility that it would increase the proof off of the worm. I do not know that answer.
It will NOT increase the volume. There is only a set % amount of alcohol in a wash/mash. Therefore if you do the math you will know what your potential net would be.
as an example.....
if you have a 10 gallon wash/mash that has an ABV of 10% you have 1 gallon of (100%) alcohol (or 2 proof gallons)....10 * .10= 1.
if you have 15 gallon mash/wash at the same 10% ABV 1.5 gal 15 * .10= 1.5 (3 proof gal)
if you have 10 gallon mash/wash at 15% ABV..... 1.5 gallons (3 proof gal)
15 gallon at 15% ABV 2.25 gal (4.5 proof gallons)

OH....BTW it is almost impossible to get 100% of the alcohol out of the wash/mash.

There is NOTHING that will allow "more & Stronger".

all of that being said.
If you want to try it to see how well it works, try it.
you might end up having a couple holes In the cap that need a solder repair done.

I have been told all my life... "there is more than on way to skin a cat......"

keep us posted
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

A taller 'Tennessee' style cap likens to what Popcorn used, a wide wound condenser coil at the top of the cap, a large perforated plate at the bottom of the cap.
Maybe something there..But no perf plate, no purpose for reflux coil.
And plenty ample head space.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Study,
Hoosier Shine9 is spot on.

I did have a conversation with a guy who runs a craft distillery about triple distilling and he proposed a similar idea to yours. He recommended de-tuning my column and using the reflux section to produce an 80-85 % product on a spirit run to capture more flavors in an AG whiskey. His point was that it would be closer to a triple distilled product, just in two runs , a strip and spirit.( time = money is more of a consideration when you’re making a living at this as opposed to us hobbyists.)

My setup has two approx 24” column sections. One is just a straight tube for packing and the other takes packing and has the reflux condenser coils at the top. His suggestion was to just use the reflux section and pack it to maybe 75% height. Then manage the reflux to produce the desired ABV. The packing is a key component since the surfaces are where the phase changes enhance the purity. You could play with those two variables (amount of packing and reflux rate) to possibly get what you’re looking for.

All that said,I haven’t tried it and more experienced folks here have likely already been down this road. It might be (or not be) worth a try if you have the time and inclination. Regardless of the outcome, you’ll learn something!

Good luck to you.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

The perforated plate needs to be top of collar height with cap pushed down ready.
Wanta keep charge level rite below cape.
Valved in and out for preferred reflux tuning.
Maybe slightly 'dome' the flat top of the cap to enhance reflux.
Sight glass above plate on cap to monitor and learn.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!