The liar's bench

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

contrahead
Trainee

Re: The liar's bench

Post by contrahead »

thecroweater wrote: I got up early in the morning to explore this very old town and found some stuff that might be of interest to anyone interested in American and Canadian history
Unfortunately I must admit that I'd never heard of the “Patriot Wars”, and had to do some research to figure out what could possibly cause Americans to be transported to a Tasmanian penal colony. Until today I never knew anything about “The Battle of Montgomery's Tavern” or about the Irish Republican “Fenian Raids” that plagued the US-Canadian border later, either.

A Wikipedia page says that 93 Americans and 58 Canadian convicted prisoners from this conflict were sent to Australia in 1838-39. The Americans were deposited in Hobart but the Canadians stepped off in Sydney (where they were treated better too).
Omnia mea mecum porto
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

War is Hell...and if you can trace you family tree you'll see just how many wars your family has been involved in. My wife has artifacts and mementos from the Napoleonic Wars, her Great Grandfather - 4 Grandfathers back - ( so, Great Great Great Grandfather) was from Alsace-Lorraine and fought with Napoleon at the Battle of Austerlitz in 1805, and probably a lot more, but he was decorated at that battle.
My Great Great Great Grandfather was an poor Irish lad who went into the British Army to help keep his family, like so many other Scotch/Irish boys. He lost his left arm at the elbow in the Peninsular War in Spain, sometime between 1808 and 1814 ...fighting the French! They could have faced each other across the bloody battle fields of Spain...so my kids have family members who fought each other in a major war!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

contrahead wrote: The Americans were deposited in Hobart but the Canadians stepped off in Sydney (where they were treated better too).
Let's face it. they were probably kinder, gentler felons. And they likely said "Sorry"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

HDNB wrote:
contrahead wrote: The Americans were deposited in Hobart but the Canadians stepped off in Sydney (where they were treated better too).
Let's face it. they were probably kinder, gentler felons. And they likely said "Sorry"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Most of the Canadians that were separated and sent to Sydney were from Quebec and of French extraction, were sorry? Likely, said sorry? :lol: Quèbècois :lolno:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Crowe and I establoshed that one of his ancestore and one of my wife's likely served in the same theaters ... Showed him an engraved 'Canadian Contract ' 1911 .45 complete with Mills holster that SOH's GGF brought back from 'The Great War' .
Planning to get back to researching that hero's exploits .
The Aussies and Kiwies were , hands down , the greatest heroes in WW1 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I swear ! Some stories defy logic and truth .
My main buddy and life long friend , Brock , showed up yeddy .
Been on a 3 day drunk and had this wildest story to tell me .
I took issue with it on the getgo and loaded him in my truck to go to every Catholic church in our area .
I got the same answer at every stop .
Without a doubt : There are no midget nuns in any church in our area .
Brock , my friend , I gently broke the news to him :
You broke into the zoo and fucked a PENGUIN !
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Who is old enough and redneck enough to remember this :
"I'm air droppable , stream portable
muscle operated , sandwich fed and beer cooled .
A teller of tales ,
a killer of whales
AND A LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND !
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

So started the new year and my SOH says she's getting a bit sick and tired of the amount of time I devote to the hobby...So I told her I'd cut back and only make one product, Single malt....and Gin
So Okay, I'll cut back and only make two products, Single malt and Gin...and Neutral,which I need to make Gin.
So, I'll cut back and only make three products, Single malt, Gin and Neutral...and Absinthe, because I have the Neutral.
So, I'll cut back and only make four products, Single malt, Gin, Neutral...and Absinthe, and Rum, because I have a lot of Panela.
So, I'll cut back and only make five products, Single malt, Gin, Neutral, Absinthe, and Rum, and...She stopped me poured herself a Gin and tonic and left the room.. :clap:
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Kiwi, she's liable to leave the house like mine. It's been awhile been working my tail off all winter but work has slowed so now y'all get to put up with me.

My dog Bo keeps walking toward our old still site trying to convince me that mother nature can't stop us. He burnt his paw making a run last year and I notice he remembers as I watched him put his paw close to the copper and pull it back three times before touching it. He ran to the spout but it ain't there as I haven't attached it yet and barked. I told him let's go as we gotta fetch machettes, propane and other things to get ready. Once we got home he ran to the feed shed and scratched the door and barked. If I didn't know better I think he wants a drink.

He was partial to rice slop last year got drunk on it a few times. Got his ass whipped by my curr after a 3 day rice binge made him feel that he was a Jack Russel size in a Great Dane body. Curr put a hole from his tooth through ol Bo's skull. All winter he had a bald spot from it but his hair growed back but he still walks by the Currs chain and growls at him at least once a day. He ain't forgot that either.

I got this half husky half chow bitch that ol Bo knows he ain't tall enough to breed but wouldn't surprise me if the little bastard engineers some type of ladder. He's bout head high to her business end and he just walks behind her with his nose buried in it much to her dislike. God help him as he's addicted to Whisky and P@#&y. He gets an A for effort and I imagine I'm gonna have some ugly mean ass puppy's with little heads this summer. But I can garrutee you they daddy was a moonshiner burnt paw and all.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Spent some time in the losal pub this evening .
Came away with some words of wisdom from a fellow Emerald Islander :
"Many a time an Irishman's mouth has broke his nose ."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Sorry I've not been around much , lately . Family drama that caused me to clear out my still is ongoing .
Anyhow ; SOH got back from Grand Cayman last night . Brought me 4 Cuban ceegars that I'm going to pair with a bottle of Glenfiddeich when we go to visit Flatwoods in May .
Hurts my heart to not be making my own drop . My wallet , too . That 'bottled in bond' shit is expensive .
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

TB maybe we will make a run when you come down. I am looking forward to your visit. What shall I make? Hmmmm!
Just remembered something! I had some of that Tazmanian Devil whiskey get mixed up amongst the good stuff! Damnit! If TB got ahold of that the whole damn bluff would erode off i to the river that hellyun would raise amongst these flatwoods rednecks around here!!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I dunno about making a run while I'm there . That's a lot of work for a vacation trip .
I just hope that Fin Monkey don't hear about the visit and break out of the zoo for a reunion . That could get serious .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Looks like this GA visit is going to be a go . World ; brace yourself !
I ain't been coming around much on account of family drama having me shut down from stillin .
When I was a kid I went to church with a neighbor family that worshiped differently from us .
The big controversy then was birth control and the priest was rippin the rag off the bush against birth control .
Grandma of the family I went with , who had given live birth to 11 kids , jumped up and pointed an angry GRANDMA finger at the priest and shouted :
"HEY! You no playa da game ; you no maka da rules !"
I'll stop by from time to time . Until I can start playing the game again I don't feel I have much place in advising or making rules .
DAMN! I miss being part of this hobby .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Maybe start visiting like minded friends offering help less ya end up needing retraining. With my traveling far for work atm my hobby has been tricky to fit in, in fact I have done ferments with the BIL and helped run his set ups while dust settles in my shed.
On the other hand it's been interesting to see how others run and cut
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'd rather see ya yappin' here and not runnin', than havin' ya runnin all the time and not yappin. No one tells yer stories like you do TB.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Well that don’t make any sense atall.
I haven’t had a good run in near a year but I still like to hang around and boss people around, telling them what they’re doing all wrong.

Also try to share a trick here and there when I see a chance, just so I can show off how smart I am. :roll:

Heck, I even gat a chance to meet up with one of the founding fathers of this whole forum, a real old-timer!

And besides all that, don’t step away too far, Butch, we will need you to give us the straight and honest truth about your recon from them Flatwoods.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I kept telling that hunchback "You can fart in church, but stop trying to set a light to them!" but did he listen?
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

Howdy folks, good to hear some of the regulars are still here. Haven’t been around in awhile but have been reading up a bit lately and makin some runs. I kind of am a binge brewer and stiller as life just does not allow time to do this hobby year round. I doesn’t really affect the brewing much as I have been doing that for years. Not stillin for a year or so has most definitely stunted my progress though. I have managed to break through a few obstacles lately a have found that I really enjoy corn whiskey in white dog form after struggling with corn early on. Have also played with flavoring some products with the thumper as well with pretty good success. Anyhow, I hope to be around a bit more and keep honing in on this craft. Keep up the good work men and women, as your exploits have helped me immensely.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I kept telling that hunchback "You can fart in church, but stop trying to set a light to them!" but did he listen?
:twisted: That is a brutal one. But it still is a joke.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I accept the leg strappin . I'll try to stop by more often .
Visitin Flatwoods is happening . Don't know how much of that will be fit for a family channel .
I'm sure I'll have a yarn or three after SOH and I go south for a spell .
You folks have restored my spirit . No pun intended .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I kept telling that hunchback "You can fart in church, but stop trying to set a light to them!" but did he listen?
It was the candles ! They set them around the altar and lit them and the HUNCHBACK farted and the flames went over to the drapes and up the walls to the roof and the sparks blew over to the roof of the stable and burned the barn and the horses and the dog ate some dead horse meat in the barn and DIED !
Sir , I failed to mention that your wife ran away with the Milkman . Your Motherinlaw heard the news and had a heart attack and died . We put the candles around her coffin at the altar and the HUNCHBACK came to pay his respects .
He was so upset that he farted and the fart went over to the candles and to the drapes and up the wall to the roof and the sparks blew over to the barn and burned the barn and the horses and the dog ate the dead horse meat and died .
And , Sir ; other than that , there ain't been a damned thing happening !
FORGIVE ME FOLKS !
I am devestated by the destruction of an 800+year old icon . I only made this post to balance this tragedidy with a bit of humor .
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Good one Truck

My dad had a similar joke. Which I mostly forget. Well it has been over forty years...
It started with the station owner (big livestock farmer) returning from a long trip and asking Jacky, the aboriginal stock-rider (cowboy) (must have been when he got off the train and Jacky met him in the horse-drawn gig (sulky) ), whether anything had happened while he was away.
Crow will probably remember it...Started I think with, 'No, boss; but Old Rover the dog died'.
And everything else hung on that and the following events. Until the mother-in-law died and I can't recall the events that preceded her death. And then, his wife's mother had died and the curtain blew over the funeral candles which burnt down the house and killed the wife too....If I ever find or recall it....

Another was when a husband returned and asked his wife if she had been faithful. Of course, she said. It has been a long time, he said, are you sure.
And she hung her head and said, well there were those two times. Two times, says husband. And she said, still hanging her head, Yes, the football team and the cricket team.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Found basically the same joke on Google.

(A really old story - I heard this one as a child from my great
uncle, who had heard it as a child around the turn of the century
on some primordial predecessor of the phonograph. Send me e-mail
if you can identify its author.)

A gentleman is returning home after a length trip and is met by a
servant at the station. This is the conversation that they have
on their way home.

"So, has anything happened while I've been away?"

"No, sir, I can't think of anything at all worth mentioning."

"Come now, I've been away for weeks. Surely something must
have happened in all that time."

"Well, sir, come to think of it, your dog died."

"My dog died? How awful! Still, he was getting on in years,
and I suppose it had to happen some time. How did he die?"

"The vet said it was probably from eating the rotten meat."

"The rotten meat? Since when do we leave rotten meat lieing
around for the dog to eat?"

"Well, it was the horses, sir. They'd been rotting for some
time after the barn burned down."

"Good heavens. How in the world did the barn burn down?"

"It must have been some embers that blew over from the house, sir."

"The *house*? The house burnt down too? How did the house
burn down?"

"Well, sir, we think someone must have knocked over a candle."

"Oh. ... Wait a moment - we don't use candles anymore to light
the house! What were the candles doing there?"

"They were there for the wake, sir."

"The wake. Whose wake?"

"Your mother's, sir. She passed away quite suddenly."

"Oh my Lord. Mother is dead. The house is gone, along with
the stable. Even my dog is dead. <pause> What did Mother die
of?"

"It must have been the shock, sir."

"The shock."

"Yes, sir, the shock. When your wife ran off with the handyman
the day after you left, sir. But aside from all that, it's been
fairly quiet while you've been away, sir."

--
John J. Chew <jjchew@math.toronto.edu> Univ. of Toronto, Dept of Mathematics
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Looking like one of them years. As some of you may know I'm traveling far for work at the moment, such is life, anyways back home is still in the grip of drought and if it don't rain soon bad times are coming. These are the bad times etched in my memory of folks shooting stock but worse still is the wind on barren sand. I was suppose to travel the 800 kms home yesterday but glad I put it off till today. Last fortnight we had to knock off early on account of a dust storm, mainly because it was discolouring the plaster pointing of our stonework. I could post photos of the pretty mild storm but it pales to yesterday, take a gander and what a woulda drove through yesterday

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Used to live in Mildura (five hours NW of us) which was severely affected by that dust. Lots of family still there.
My wife's sister pulled off the road when visibility was under 50 metres.
Bad dust storms used to be more frequent when I was young but they are less common now with 'limited till' farming (more weedicide spraying) and the planting of more green pasture.

Geoff
The Baker
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

It has been a long day. As I sit in my recliner relaxing, Truckinbutch lies in his motorhome relaxing in the cool of his ac under the shade of my live oaks and within the perimeter of the protective custody of my three donkeys and three guineas. We have broken bread, laughed, slapped at horse flies, been sight seeing, introduced him to new friends old to me, shared stories of farming , work, ethics, history, moral decay of society, our mutual state of non-production, our appreciation of the dying arts, and the like of a good drink distilled with pride after careful scrutiny of every step from grain selection to collection speeds and proper cuts. I have shown things common to me here and told of histories past and of things to come. I am very lucky to live in this country, state, county, road and I hope that sharing it has not come across braggardly. It pleases me greatly to show these things and see the appreciation of others given the opportunity to share them. Truckinbutch and I have been discussing his visit for more than three years. I am proud that he and his wife were able to make it down here to visit. In writing this I can tell you all that there are friendships formed within these pages that transcends time, space, and distance. It is my sincere hope that many of you are United through the use of the pages and the practice of the craft like Truckinbutch and I have finally been. To make the bonds I feel like we have you have to give up a little bit more of yourself than you may find comfortable in these forums. There are ways around the transparency of the open forum to make these connections you know. Messages, emails, and telephone calls work best. There are all sorts of people here these days. Some you will not like through their attitude and mannerisms with the written pros. It is this ame way you will be able to determine the character of a person. But, be warned! Sometimes words do not render a true picture but one as seen as a reflection on water. Well for the record folks I can hereby swear and affirm that the one known as Truckinbutch is as genuine as it gets. He is every bit the man and character I expected him, and his SOH, to be! I cannot be more proud to call him friend as much as any other I may give the namesake. Believe me that the contents of himself shared herein only scratch the surface of the man. By these words, I proclaim that at the end of my days if asked I will say that Truckinbutch was my friend!
I say all this to bring credit to this site and its members. If so I spired to do so, take the chance to meet someone herein. Go to a group meeting if you get the chance. Closer at home, there are those folks alone that would love to have someone to share their life experiences with. Be bold, go forth, and share some of yourself. We as a society do not socialize enought anymore. The world has but a few Truckinbutches, find yours. I call the original friend!

Solid as a fat lighter knot,

Georgia Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, if that don't get it all! Friday, I was the first fine day in a while so I dragged my bike out of the garage where its been guarding the mash tun and decided to run over the store for some possibles. Come thru a school zone behind a hideous SUV with one of them basket carrier things on the back. Got out of the zone, she accellerated, I accellerated and she stopped cold. Me, not so much. Some gravel was involved and much screaming an callin upon Him. Broke my damned collar bone in half, don't know where the hell the police towed my bike to and today I find out the damned woman file a claim on my insurance for scratching the paint when my pretty bike plowed under her ugly assed SUV. THAT'S why I enjoy these pages and the sweet sippin they bring. Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Why did the witch put a basket on her broomstick? and what brand of broom is an suv anyway?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

ga flatwoods wrote:It has been a long day. As I sit in my recliner relaxing, Truckinbutch lies in his motorhome relaxing in the cool of his ac under the shade of my live oaks and within the perimeter of the protective custody of my three donkeys and three guineas. We have broken bread, laughed, slapped at horse flies, been sight seeing, introduced him to new friends old to me, shared stories of farming , work, ethics, history, moral decay of society, our mutual state of non-production, our appreciation of the dying arts, and the like of a good drink distilled with pride after careful scrutiny of every step from grain selection to collection speeds and proper cuts. I have shown things common to me here and told of histories past and of things to come. I am very lucky to live in this country, state, county, road and I hope that sharing it has not come across braggardly. It pleases me greatly to show these things and see the appreciation of others given the opportunity to share them. Truckinbutch and I have been discussing his visit for more than three years. I am proud that he and his wife were able to make it down here to visit. In writing this I can tell you all that there are friendships formed within these pages that transcends time, space, and distance. It is my sincere hope that many of you are United through the use of the pages and the practice of the craft like Truckinbutch and I have finally been. To make the bonds I feel like we have you have to give up a little bit more of yourself than you may find comfortable in these forums. There are ways around the transparency of the open forum to make these connections you know. Messages, emails, and telephone calls work best. There are all sorts of people here these days. Some you will not like through their attitude and mannerisms with the written pros. It is this ame way you will be able to determine the character of a person. But, be warned! Sometimes words do not render a true picture but one as seen as a reflection on water. Well for the record folks I can hereby swear and affirm that the one known as Truckinbutch is as genuine as it gets. He is every bit the man and character I expected him, and his SOH, to be! I cannot be more proud to call him friend as much as any other I may give the namesake. Believe me that the contents of himself shared herein only scratch the surface of the man. By these words, I proclaim that at the end of my days if asked I will say that Truckinbutch was my friend!
I say all this to bring credit to this site and its members. If so I spired to do so, take the chance to meet someone herein. Go to a group meeting if you get the chance. Closer at home, there are those folks alone that would love to have someone to share their life experiences with. Be bold, go forth, and share some of yourself. We as a society do not socialize enought anymore. The world has but a few Truckinbutches, find yours. I call the original friend!

Solid as a fat lighter knot,

Georgia Flatwoods
Nice talking. And I agree with you wholeheartedly.
But Truckinbutch does not. He thinks I am despicable,
Well: I do not care, but it is an opinion opposed to his character. The character that you sketched, I say.