Educate me on oyster shell use.

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Educate me on oyster shell use.

Post by Full_moon »

Can someone enlighten me on the use of oyster shells for ph control? What are the general guidelines for quantity, when to add etc. This is in an AG mash. Thanks

Found some info in Mashing and fermenting. Very interesting and educational.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Educate me on oyster shell use.

Post by fizzix »

For a 5-gallon wash/mash, I put a handful of crushed shells in a brew sock (for easy retrieval)
and toss it in the ferment --it's the last thing I do before putting on the lid.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

For a 20 gallon wash just before pitching the yeast , I put a cotton shock with around 2 cups of crushed oyster shells in it.
An AG mash should have enough buffering without adding crushed shells
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I took an old pair of "Managements" tights wash them & cut the legs off.
Put oyster shells in one leg, tie an overhand knot & drop in my ferment.
The knot will float & is easy to get out. also keeps shells from going to the bottom. Especially in UJSSM.

I put shells in all my ferments.
Saw someone post a while back that they "don't work in sugar washes" but I put them in that too. Worst thing that can happen is....they don't do anything & I have wasted about $0.25.......
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:Saw someone post a while back that they "don't work in sugar washes" but I put them in that too. Worst thing that can happen is....they don't do anything & I have wasted about $0.25.......
I do the same and call it cheap insurance... or economy of ignorance. :P …I've never had a crash, and I bet you haven't either, Hoosier Shine9.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I buy this stuff:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... shell-5-lb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

and rinse it until it runs clean (it's powdery), then I put it in a bowl in the microwave with some water to boil it a bit to kill germs (probably overkill), then I do what others here do: put it in a mesh brewing sock and toss it in.

Edit to say: I put it in the ferment, not in the mash.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Rinse dust as above, but when heating them up I didn't like the smell so I soaked the bag in feints. Quick rinse in clean water and ready to use.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Full_moon »

Thanks everyone
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This is interesting as I have never used oyster shells but have a beach full so much so that part of it we sell to commercial vendors.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I used oyster shells when they were free off the beach.

I've moved on to marble garden stone.

170 gallon ferment will eat about a half pound in a week and keep the ferment at approx 4.7Ph.

Put the washed stones in a ventilated plastic soda bottle and hang in ferment.

$3usd for a 25-30lb bag.

The chicken oyster shell always had a funk to it.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I haven't tried marble garden stone.
Is this the crushed marble used for landscaping
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

DAD300 wrote: Put the washed stones in a ventilated plastic soda bottle and hang in ferment.
This is brilliant. Great way to hang on to them in there and also let them react.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I had several pH crashes with BW’s sugar wash before I came across the oyster shell thread. Now, like Fizzix and Hoosier, I add them to everything and haven’t had a crash since. I usually put 6 half shells in a 15 gal ferment. They are good for about 3-4 washes before they are too thin and brittle.

Anytime I’m at the beach, I pick up a bag full of the sun bleached shells, bring them home and boil them all. Then I just hit them with One-Step and add right before the yeast. Then just fish them out of the beer after racking. Good and cheap insuramce. Give it a try!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

30 gallon AG or a 30 gallon sugarhead I put 3/4 quart of oyster shells in the ferment . No ph crashes .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I never use it, no PH crashes.
use 10% backset if doing UJ and you'll have no issues
Don't be a dick
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

I really had problem with pH crashes. Exactly why is unknown. Maybe it is the water, maybe I hav a latent infection of aggressive lacto in my fermenters? Maybe I just a sour guy? Who knows? But after I started using Calcium Carbonate to buffer the acidity, no problem. I tried everything, marble gravel, oyster shells and powdered calcium carbonate from the brewshop. In the end I have ended up using calcium carbonate... for no other reason than that I can get big bags of it at the brew shop and my local garden center does not sell oyster shells or marble rocks.

The nice thing about Calcium carbonate is that if the acidity is lower (pH is higher) than about 4.7, it is for all practical terms inert and does nothing. But when the acidity goes above that (pH is lower) then they start dissolving and neutralize the acid. And since I am shooting for a pH of about 4.7 anyway, that suits me fine.
Always impatient. But learning.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Like you SP I have never had a wash stall from PH crash.....nor have I ever needed to adjust ph. I wonder how the old timers got along without PH meters, oyster shells n such?
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I toss in 1/4 cup of shell grit (crushed oyster shell) with every wash since I had washes stall. My ferments now start out less violently but finish sooner. I guess my domestic water supply has a lower pH than some. There is hardly any grit left in the fermenter at the end.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Calcium carbonate is only needed if you are having pH problems and the likelyhood of that may have a lot to do with the hardness of your water, or the type of ferment.

When I do use it, I use whole shells, weigh them wet, record the weight, then at the finish, weigh them and calculate the weight loss and record it for future reference. I've had them almost disappear and I've had them gain weight because nothing dissolved and something crystallized on them.

My advice is to keep good records of everything you do, then they will become a better guide than what you read on the web.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Like you SP I have never had a wash stall from PH crash.....nor have I ever needed to adjust ph. I wonder how the old timers got along without PH meters, oyster shells n such?
I've heard a couple old timers say one of their secret ingredients, was wood ash from the fire. :wink:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

shadylane wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:Like you SP I have never had a wash stall from PH crash.....nor have I ever needed to adjust ph. I wonder how the old timers got along without PH meters, oyster shells n such?
I've heard a couple old timers say one of their secret ingredients, was wood ash from the fire. :wink:
interesting.
quick googling of wood ash an got an article on it being used in gardening to raise ph, never knew that. :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can use wood ash to make sodium hydroxide, so it's not surprising that old timers would use it for adjusting pH.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote:You can use wood ash to make sodium hydroxide, so it's not surprising that old timers would use it for adjusting pH.
I believe the liquid from dripping water through the wood ash is commonly called lye, and was used by the pioneers for washing clothes (heavily diluted I would think!)

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Lye was used for many purposes including soap making.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Lye was used for many purposes including soap making.
Also pretzels.

I'm going to try marble chips from the garden store for my next sugar wash.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I bought these oyster shells from Amazon over a year ago, and I can see 5-lbs. are gonna last me a long time.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

As I have previously posted, once I went to bigger fermentations, I found oyster shells would not dissolve fast enough to correct the ph. I had much better luck with calcium carbonate and even started adding it with acid at the start to increase buffering capacity.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

MtRainier wrote:
Saltbush Bill wrote:Lye was used for many purposes including soap making.
Also pretzels.

I'm going to try marble chips from the garden store for my next sugar wash.
Yeah I have done those pretzels.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

bluefish_dist wrote:As I have previously posted, once I went to bigger fermentations, I found oyster shells would not dissolve fast enough to correct the ph. I had much better luck with calcium carbonate and even started adding it with acid at the start to increase buffering capacity.
Is that a typo Bluefish ?
I thought shells were Calcium Carbonate .... did you mean Calcium Hydroxide ? .... thats known as pickling lime or brickie’s ( Brick layers ) lime ?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

bluefish_dist wrote:As I have previously posted, once I went to bigger fermentations, I found oyster shells would not dissolve fast enough to correct the ph. I had much better luck with calcium carbonate and even started adding it with acid at the start to increase buffering capacity.
How large a ferment are you talking about? I haven't had a pH stall since using whole shells in any sized wash up to 50 gallons. I've always used whole shells from the beach, which have much less surface area than the oyster chicken grit that has been popularized on forums, and never had a problem.