Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

guns4america
Novice

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by guns4america »

Oops, I should have clarified. The first one I started was turbo, the other 3 are using distillers yeast.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertisement
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

If you can with the non turbo set them outside or wrap with blankets I sometimes use a heating pad on low wrapped around my fermenters(I use buckets)all the reading ive done so far says there is a comfortable temp range yeast procreate in if too cold it'll just stall if over 120 im sure it'll die so its best around 80-95 degrees.that's what ive found.to each their own ya know but I can say ur on the right track asking questions I do that all the time when my eyes start hurting from all the reading! But really tho if u like neutral I hear that bakers wash is the way to go.I'm only fooling with this one cos the ol lady likes neutral spirit once this is done I'm going to bourbon! I've finally got the grain conversion figured out after a few disappointing trys.ill probably still chase gravity points with sugar tho like I said to each their own do what you like !ultimately its yer hooch
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok so I'm calling it done these washes are gonna run thru on my four day weekend.no bubbles in airlocks meter says 990
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Well here goes all set up head temp rising almost time to turn my water on...hope this is as good as ive heard
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok second strip going got 8 more gallon to go....I gotta get a bigger boiler!! 4 gallon runs at a time is tedious im close to ordering my mile hi Dual purpose 8 gallon setup I'm curious if that head will work on a 15 gallon keg boiler will if have enough knock down power? Guess I've got some reading to do
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok I see why this is tried and true....with some patience you can have a multitude of 110 proof low wine runs on a pot still and then a very nice and light neutral if you were to distill a second time... Think this gallon of neutral will sit the longest I'm having a dandy time with my double pot still sugarhead...
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

I have been away ,

Greynomading for a couple of months

I made a batch of Wineos and it and it has been in the fermenter , say 10 weeks

I am about to distill it , a bit long in the fermenter

my still also needed some work , the seal on the still broke and I had some repairs , looks Ok now

will the time in the fermenter make a difference , taste test appears OK
The Friendly Spirit
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

U can leave a ferment sealed for over 52 weeks
joeguess
Novice

Post by joeguess »

When wineo says "I potstill this wash". Does that mean no reflux spirit run therefore no cuts, and goes on to say. It makes a clean neutral potstilled or refluxed. I would appreciate help on what I should do
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There are 36 pages of discussion of Wineos wash and your question hasn't been covered yet????
joeguess
Novice

Post by joeguess »

Does that mean that you don't know or are you being just a plain arseole
Do you know how long 36 pages takes to get through?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

joeguess wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 pm Does that mean that you don't know or are you being just a plain arseole
I am an Arsehole, with a certificate to prove it, and I know how long it takes to get through much longer threads than this one, because I have put in the effort to do that.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

NZChris wrote:
joeguess wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 pm Does that mean that you don't know or are you being just a plain arseole
I am an Arsehole, with a certificate to prove it, and I know how long it takes to get through much longer threads than this one, because I have put in the effort to do that.
Chris, I may have given you your certification exam!!! But I'll help a newbie. Potstilled or reflux you still make cuts. In pot mode you'll do stripping runs followed by spirit runs. But for a neutral via pot its gonna take several runs. If you have a reflux column you'll get to neutral faster. But you have to do cuts either way. Reflux will compress the tails so your cuts may be wider through reflux.
joeguess
Novice

Post by joeguess »

Thank you Tummydoc much appreciated for the advice.
I t wasn't that I haven't gone through many pages of the wineo subject. It was because I couldn't find my particular problem
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

some people are that way on here try a bit more reading and using hd google search
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

I like the simplicity of this wash, and this is the recipe I'd really like to try as my first non-Turbo wash.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get DAP at a reasonable price. And this one seems to me a recipe I really wanna follow precisely.

But I'll ask.

Should I do a Wineo's sugar wash, but using a wine yeast nutrient (ingredients below), and a champagne yeast (Mangrove Jack's CL23), because my heating unit doesn't keep my fermenter any warmer than 20C this time of year... which do seem like significant deviations from the recipe...

Or should I go with Birdwatcher's TPW instead this time around, until I find some DAP and weather gets a bit warmer?

Incidentally, I'm still shocked that baker's or distiller's yeasts make good alcohol at 35C. That means I can probably do washes thru most of the summer.

Ingredients:

Diammonium phosphate
Magnesium sulphate
Magnesium carbonate
Vitamins
Trace minerals

yeah, those last 2 are very vague
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I use a wine nutrient very similar to that when making shadys sugar shine.......same deal cant get straight DAP.
I see no reason why it wont work in Winos wash.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

Ya, seems worth a try. If the other ingredients add some flavor I guess I'll find out.

What about the change of yeast? If I look at it one way, it doesn't seem that big a deal. I sure would love to make this one exactly to the recipe though.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I can pretty safely say it wont add flavors......yeast wont matter much be it bakers or something else.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

I've made this recipe a bunch of times and it was my favorite Vodka until I started just putting sugar and water over my spent Bourbon grains. Eliminated the subtle off taste and took on a hint of grains. More "Grey goose" like to my taste.

Wineos is a great one though, the trickiest part is watching the PH. Mine would crash and stall numerous times in the beginning. After a few batches I caught on and checked daily- adding Calcium Carbonate as necessary to keep it between 4.5 and 5.0. The other really big help I found was adding oyster shells. 4-5 shells to a 6 gallon batch. Makes a nice PH buffer. Shells were always dissolved most of the way through by the time it was done.

Good luck!
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:27 am I can pretty safely say it wont add flavors......yeast wont matter much be it bakers or something else.
Good, thanks.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

StuNY wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:26 am I've made this recipe a bunch of times and it was my favorite Vodka until I started just putting sugar and water over my spent Bourbon grains. Eliminated the subtle off taste and took on a hint of grains. More "Grey goose" like to my taste.

Wineos is a great one though, the trickiest part is watching the PH. Mine would crash and stall numerous times in the beginning. After a few batches I caught on and checked daily- adding Calcium Carbonate as necessary to keep it between 4.5 and 5.0. The other really big help I found was adding oyster shells. 4-5 shells to a 6 gallon batch. Makes a nice PH buffer. Shells were always dissolved most of the way through by the time it was done.

Good luck!
Hmmm, well that's discouraging. I don't think I have anything for measuring PH. Or access to oyster shells.
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

HDTV wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm Hmmm, well that's discouraging. I don't think I have anything for measuring PH. Or access to oyster shells.
Here is the one I use- pretty much indispensable if you are serious about it- saves a lot of questions about stuck fermentations and keeping the yeast happy/tasty with all grains etc. For $13 it is a pretty easy investment.

https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Househo ... NrPXRydWU=

Some people have had success with slabs of marble? to achieve same buffer. Never tried it myself though. Crushed oyster shells can be picked up at any farm supply- they use it for chickens.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

StuNY wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:12 pm Here is the one I use- pretty much indispensable if you are serious about it- saves a lot of questions about stuck fermentations and keeping the yeast happy/tasty with all grains etc. For $13 it is a pretty easy investment.

Some people have had success with slabs of marble? to achieve same buffer. Never tried it myself though. Crushed oyster shells can be picked up at any farm supply- they use it for chickens.
Thanks for that.

Is Birdwatcher's TPW wash more forgiving? I could try that one now, and better prepare myself for this one for next time.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Egg shells.

Or what we call shell grit.
Crushed shells for the hens to pick at, available at a feed store.

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

HDTV wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm Hmmm, well that's discouraging. I don't think I have anything for measuring PH.
No metion of PH adjustment in the original recipe.....read the first 3- 4 pages of the thread and see how often ph meteres or ph is mentioned.
Seems people managed quite happliy without once apon a time.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

HDTV wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm Is Birdwatcher's TPW wash more forgiving? I could try that one now, and better prepare myself for this one for next time.
No. I have to use shells to buffer the pH or it drops too low. The amount of shell used up varies, but the pH has never gotten out of control.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:57 pm
HDTV wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm Hmmm, well that's discouraging. I don't think I have anything for measuring PH.
No metion of PH adjustment in the original recipe.....read the first 3- 4 pages of the thread and see how often ph meteres or ph is mentioned.
Seems people managed quite happliy without once apon a time.
I did notice that I never saw it mentioned (as far as I read... <36 pages I will confess :oops: ).

I've given myself more time to gather ingredients for this recipe, and at this very moment am preparing a Birdwatcher's TPW. The yeast are just gonna have to deal with the PH of the environment this time (sorry yeast!)
Last edited by HDTV on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

NZChris wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 pm
HDTV wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm Is Birdwatcher's TPW wash more forgiving? I could try that one now, and better prepare myself for this one for next time.
No. I have to use shells to buffer the pH or it drops too low. The amount of shell used up varies, but the pH has never gotten out of control.
I'll have to study up on this. Using shell sounds like a good way to go, but I guess I need to be checking my PH anyway, if I really wanna know what's up.

Is it possible your water's PH is a significant factor?
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

i am going to give it a try prity soon.........

thanks
In search of Dream whiskey.................