EZ Solder 2" Shotgun

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: EZ Solder 2" Shotgun

Post by Twisted Brick »

Correct. Sorry, but the last PM I got from you was 2/17 and it appears to be cut off. Did you get my reply?

I was experiencing challenges receiving PM's a week or so ago, and after clearing some PM's out of my Inbox, all appeared to be functioning normally. Now I guess it's on the fritz again.

Please feel free to email me. I just tested it and it works fine.

***EDIT***

I just got another end plate inquiry, this one from Canada, about 30min ago. The PM came through just fine. Maybe it's from your end?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Awesome product. I am a rookie at soldering, reading here and elsewhere more than holding a torch. These went together very smoothly, both times. I accidentally caught the condenser tubes drilling the coolant ports on the first go round. :oops:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

30xs wrote:Awesome product. I am a rookie at soldering, reading here and elsewhere more than holding a torch. These went together very smoothly, both times. I accidentally caught the condenser tubes drilling the coolant ports on the first go round. :oops:
You don't know how many have done that when the bit grabs it is a done deal. Shell holes get drilled first from now on I'll bet
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

acfixer69 wrote:
Shell holes get drilled first from now on I'll bet
+1 :thumbup:

OVZ
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:
Shell holes get drilled first from now on I'll bet
+1 :thumbup:

OVZ

Yessir. After building it once I learned some valuable lessons on assembly order that was a benefit for the second go round. I was highly concerned about inexperience being a hinderance, but this kit really made it seem easy. Maybe it was beginners luck, which means I’m happy I started with doing the shotgun first. :thumbup:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Sweet die set.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks, Otis. The dies have worked out beautifully, and at last count have allowed me to make and ship endplate/baffle sets to HD'ers in 7 states.

I think my next set of dies might be for endplates for a 4" column shotgun dephlegmater. I gotta get better at running my CCVM before I tackle a flute though.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I wish I needed another condenser! These are amazing. Have you run the condenser in vertical orientation or only pitched at a 45?
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks, pope.

In pot still and packed column (about 60") mode, the condenser vertically falls really close to the column, so I only run it at an angle, away from the keg and NG burner below. This also allows me to collect on a table top, which is really convenient.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
JDweeler
Novice

Post by JDweeler »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 am Thanks, pope.

In pot still and packed column (about 60") mode, the condenser vertically falls really close to the column, so I only run it at an angle, away from the keg and NG burner below. This also allows me to collect on a table top, which is really convenient.
still selling/ shipping those plates?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yessir. The endplates are $15ea and the baffles are $10ea. Most guys are ordering endplates and 3 baffles for $60. This is for Type L copper.

Twisted

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm Yessir. The endplates are $15ea and the baffles are $10ea. Most guys are ordering endplates and 3 baffles for $60. This is for Type L copper.

Twisted
I've wanted to ask but haven't got around to it, its time to count out the pennies! LOL
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Just got some and they do not disappoint! They're for a buddy's build so I have been sitting on a few photos and waiting to share 'til its done.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
DFBrews
Novice

Post by DFBrews »

Just got mine built went together like a dream brazed the plates in and then soft soldered the tri clamp flanges on I took a 10 foot stick and quartered it. There should be no problem knocking down anything I could throw at it
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

That's a hefty condenser! Part of me just wants to make a way, way over-the-top condenser for my main still, just for the hell of it, see how low the coolant flow can go.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

pope wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:13 pm That's a hefty condenser! Part of me just wants to make a way, way over-the-top condenser for my main still, just for the hell of it, see how low the coolant flow can go.
Same here. I think TB recommends 2-2.5" spacing on the plates, Im planning on over 3". Probably looking at 3 feet long easy. Beyond overkill at this minute & more than I need with what Im planning to build. Definitely more than I need but worth the extra insurance.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

You're seeing diminishing returns as you increase the column length but you won't regret it, it's not like there are any drawbacks I can think of.
Zubehor
Novice

Post by Zubehor »

Beautiful work. I sent a PM to see If you can make one set for me.

Best Regards from Chile
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hello Zubehor!

Got your PM and responded with answers to your questions. It will be neat to complete my first international order.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Twisted Brick

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Very very nice build.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks, NorthWoods.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Sending a PM with questions.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Does this design look to be adequate?
IMG_20200216_173733.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hey Sailman!

I can provide more details and parameters for shotgun design when you PM, but as drawn, based on baffle spacing, your design is ideal and will be more than adequate.

Twisted Brick

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Sorry I thought I sent it out, something went wrong. I'll send one over today.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I got a set of these in the mail this week and I just had the opportunity to do a test fit. I'm so glad I decided to purchase instead of trying to make them on my own. These "wind chimes" are great !
Flanagan Plates.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted, I sent you a PM :D
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Thread resurrection....
Has anyone found a way of doing this without a CNC, tool and die.

I have seen dimpling done with a bolt and a socket.
I suspect you could do something similar although not nearly as elegant.
The self centering component of this idea is really nice having a bevel to the tool really
makes the dimpling more idiot (me) proof.

Any thoughts on alternate tools you can find at the hardware store?
Some kind of punch/die cheapo alternative.

OD of 3/8" type is 1/2" so I suppose a 1/2 dimple die is a cheap enough purchase.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just completed the cleaning runs on a 21 inch OAL shotgun using TBs plates and baffles.
20 inches between the end plates and 7 baffles. I threw all the heat I could at this thing with a 100k BTU burner and could not overpower it. Just increase the cooling water flow rate and it continued to provide an increasing volume of cool distillate.
My 48" liebig will be gathering dust in the rafters forever more.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:50 pm I just completed the cleaning runs on a 21 inch OAL shotgun using TBs plates and baffles.
20 inches between the end plates and 7 baffles. I threw all the heat I could at this thing with a 100k BTU burner and could not overpower it. Just increase the cooling water flow rate and it continued to provide an increasing volume of cool distillate.
My 48" liebig will be gathering dust in the rafters forever more.
How big a difference in flavor are you noticing or do you know yet is the speed much different does it start to come off faster with your new build?
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....