tangerines

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RidgeBack
Novice

tangerines

Post by RidgeBack »

My tangerine tree FULL of fruit and I have begun to juice them. Harvested 39 today and got about 42 oz of juice. So far I have about 1.5 gallons frozen and the tree is still FULL. Plan is to harvest and juice daily and freeze the juice until there is no fruit on the tree. Then I'll ferment and run thru my pot still. Not gonna add any thing on this run (well maybe some sugar) just to see what comes out. SG from today juice was about 1.045.

I'll try posting a picture of the tree tomorrow and then .....well I'll keep juicing.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: tangerines

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Dont add any sugar.

Need to find a way to deal with the pH.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
NJen
Swill Maker

Post by NJen »

I've never fermented tangerines before, but I did a few tree's worth of oranges back when I first started messing around with fermentation. Oranges fermented faster than anything I've ever tried to ferment before. 55 gallon drum went from about 1.040 to .998 in less than 8 hours from pitch.

Nevertheless, I didn't like it. It was one of the nastiest tasting ferments I've ever done, and after being distilled, it was almost worse. I ended up distilling and diluting 3 times to get a flavor that was close to "drinkable".

Probably will never do a full citrus ferment again... I think I would attempt to find something to mix it with, like 50/50, but that's just my opinion.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have done two citrus ferments.
One with brown sugar and the other one with molassas.

Both were very good. Neither tasted a damn thing like oranges.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

If you want orange flavor, macerate orange zest in high proof neutral (sugar, grain, or rum base). It will pick up color and orange flavor quickly, like a week or two at most. But keep in mind that orange flavor is in the oils which are dissolved by the alcohol. So, as you dilute the spirit, especially below 45%ABV, it may become “cloudy” with a louche. But, you’ll get a very hearty orange flavor. However, it won’t be sweet unless you backsweeten the spirit.

So, as you’ve noted, it is very difficult to distill the orange flavor into your spirit. And the esters (fruitiness) are mixed in the foreshots and heads, so successful cuts is a very tricky proposition. If you’re experienced, you may be able to cut some of the flavor in, but it won’t be much. That’s why maceration is your best bet...especially if you want BIG orange flavor and aroma.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

I've only done Java Plumbs (Google that) for fruit.

So this time perhaps straight fruit to see what happens.

Here is a picture of part of the tree and a 1 gallon container w/about 100 oz in it. Got another w/about 60 oz I'm getting a little more than 1 oz per fruit so I should get at least 2 more gallons doing a little each day as they ripen.]
20191226_193148.jpg
20191226_130602.jpg
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Plums and citrus are completely different fruits.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Personally I'd zest (no white pith) them and squeeze the juice for drinking or making cocktails with.
You can get BIG flavors from macerations as already said by others. That how limoncello is made and it's cousin arancello (from oranges).

You can use the zests for arancello, tripple sec, gran marnier, Curaçao and other "orange" type spirits or as one of the botanicals in gin.
The zests can be dried out as well and used in macerations.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:34 am Plums and citrus are completely different fruits.
I think I know that. :D

And Java Plums are not really plums. That's why I said Google them.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Juice has a SG of about 1.045
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

RidgeBack wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 pm
Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:34 am Plums and citrus are completely different fruits.

I did, they arent a citrus fruit either.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:08 pm
RidgeBack wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 pm

I did, they arent a citrus fruit either.
Not trying to be a wise guy, but what's your point? I'm not gonna mix them, but would that be bad?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have great memories of climbing Java Plums in the tropics with my schoolmates and stuffing ourselves with them and getting stained with the juice. I'd love to have a try at distilling them, but they don't grow in here NZ AFAIK. Please let us know how it goes, as I might get an opportunity to play with them on my next trip to the tropics. It wouldn't be the first time I've brought a home made exotic likker back in my Duty Free allowance :D
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

NZChris wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:59 pm I have great memories of climbing Java Plums in the tropics with my schoolmates and stuffing ourselves with them and getting stained with the juice. I'd love to have a try at distilling them, but they don't grow in here NZ AFAIK. Please let us know how it goes, as I might get an opportunity to play with them on my next trip to the tropics. It wouldn't be the first time I've brought a home made exotic likker back in my Duty Free allowance :D
Aloha Chris,
I have a lady friend, (local term for a female friend w/no romantic relation unlike "girl friend") who comes from the Czech Republic where they make (sp) Slivawich from "real plums". Her husband made some w/store bought plums and that gave me the idea to try using Java Plums. It came out ok and I called it Javawich. LOL

I'm getting a bout 32 oz a day from the tangerine tree. Spreads the bordum of doing more that say 30 at time. LOL I hope to get at least 4 gal of juice.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm not surprised you managed to make a decent Javawich. Thanks for doing some of my research for me :D
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

OK I now have 6 gallons of juice and pulp frozen w/more fruit on the tree. Haven't used the pot still in a few years so last week I ran some vinegar thru it for a few hours. Plan is to next thaw out 5 gallons and get ready to ferment it. Do I need to do anything to the still before the run or should the vinegar run be enough to clean it?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The still should be fine as long as you keep it dry.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

20200301_112231.jpg
Ok, finally got off my butt and thawed out about 4.5 gallons of juice and pulp. This morning I decided to get another out of the freezer and add it to the batch. Should give me about 5.5 gallons total. Here is a photo of the first 5 that thawed over night. The other is sitting outside in the sun and about 1/2 thawed.

Brix is 11....SG is 1.0442 Potential % alcohol is 5.8.

Tempted to add sugar but really want to find out what pure fruit will produce.

What ya think?
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I do not have an informed opinion on the subject of fermenting and distilling citrus. But, I think you have to do your first run at it without adding sugar as a good baseline.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Yup, exactly my thoughs. Fermenter is sitting outside where temps can be anywhere between 65 at night to 85 during the day. Woke up this morning to a few bubbles. Fingers crossed for low finish.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Short update. Fermentation going strong see short video Oops, I guess you/I can't upload video. Have to settle for this.
20200303_083058.jpg
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

20200310_102047.jpg
Began first run this morning. 4.7 gallons in to my 6 gal pot-still. Fg was 1.01, ABV 4.49%.

Lets see what happens by the end of the day,
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I did a prickly pear brandy and probably doubled the volume by adding sugar, and I regret it. If we're aiming to make the best booze we can, why cut flavorful fruit with something flavorless? I'm glad you didn't add sugar.

Did you save any zest? I'm curious how this turns out but it'd be great to steep it in zest afterward and either strain it or strain and re-distill. Or re-run it with zest in the column or something similar.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

20200312_085539.jpg
My taste buds are really shot w/old age. I taste, sweet, sour, hot(spicy) good n bad as well as stuff like what food tastes like. But I really can't tell any difference between my cuts...same comments when I light up a cigar. People talk about all sorts of flavors they taste. I have no idea what they are talking about. Some cigars have a spicy taste before I light them, but then most taste the same after that..so....

I mixed all the hearts together in one bottle and got about 50 oz of 70 proof. Taste is good by my standards but no tangerine flavor that I can notice....so....

I added 4 shots of the "wine" left over in the still which has a nice flavor. Now my hooch has some color and flavor and I guess a bit less than 70 proof. I'm happy and will do again next year probably w/out adding sugar again. Not sure how much of the 4+ gallons of the "wine" to save.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

You're cutting down to ~30-40% and tasting? Spit between don't drink it or your senses will dull too quick from the booze. Start stone sober, everything tastes good after a little liquor, even a few spoonfuls from tasting. I keep a spittoon cup and a water cup and dip a spoon, dilute, smell/taste, spit, rinse, repeat.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Did that all on Sat. Good advise though.

Does the "wine" need to be chilled to keep? It's so mellow I was thinking of using it to wash down my pills in the morning. LOL :D
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Sometimes I tack on advice just in case someone combs the thread years from now. I'm rusty on my winemaking knowledge but below a certain percent, spoilage is an issue and above a certain percent oxidation is the issue. Acidity plays a role too. Whats the wine's abv?
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

About 4% but full of flavor.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Fridge for sure.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

*saw the other thread on the 'wine', sounds like this is backset, I'd toss it. If you like it by all means keep it, but be careful as what you've got there is a concentrated amount of tails, stone fruit ferments concentrate methanol in the tails, not sure what happens with citrus fruit.