Cucumber gin recipe?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sttifyd35
Novice

Cucumber gin recipe?

Post by sttifyd35 »

Hi, I was wondering if anybody on here had any recipes for making a cucumber gin?
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Re: Cucumber gin recipe?

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Have you made a gin yet? I would recommend doing some research to decide on a basic recipe, if you haven't already. Then macerate the cucumber after the gin is complete. I'm sure it won't take much if you peel and chop the fruit. Try doing some test size batches to dial it all in before you commit to a full size run.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
diktater
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by diktater »

ive made a few batches of cucumber gin. im terrible at taking notes but the last one i believe was 2 gallons 40% neutral with 1/2 oz crushed juniper, 1 tblsp crushed coriander, 1 tblsp dried hibiscus flowers, a pinch of crushed mustard seed and one medium chopped cucumber skin and all. macerated over night then run nice n slow pitching the first 25ml or so. i use a hot plate for my gin still and leave everything in the pot. not a perfect hendricks clone but makes a lovely gtp (gin tonic and pickle)

-dick-
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Hendrick's name their botanicals on their website. Try making a small batch with as many of them as you have, then fiddle with your recipe every time you make another batch. It's probably quite difficult to make a bad gin using their selection.
sttifyd35
Novice

Post by sttifyd35 »

diktater wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:57 pm ive made a few batches of cucumber gin. im terrible at taking notes but the last one i believe was 2 gallons 40% neutral with 1/2 oz crushed juniper, 1 tblsp crushed coriander, 1 tblsp dried hibiscus flowers, a pinch of crushed mustard seed and one medium chopped cucumber skin and all. macerated over night then run nice n slow pitching the first 25ml or so. i use a hot plate for my gin still and leave everything in the pot. not a perfect hendricks clone but makes a lovely gtp (gin tonic and pickle)

-dick-
Thank you very much. I was talking to a friend the other day about a cucumber liquor he had gotten for christmas and got me thinking about trying a cucumber gin. I've done gin before with great results so I wanted to give it a try.
sttifyd35
Novice

Post by sttifyd35 »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm Hendrick's name their botanicals on their website. Try making a small batch with as many of them as you have, then fiddle with your recipe every time you make another batch. It's probably quite difficult to make a bad gin using their selection.
Thank you! I will do some research on Hendricks.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I started re-researching gin myself. check out this post, it's very helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73049
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

To see if you'd enjoy it, try this first.

When I make tsazuki (yogurt and cucumber dip) I peel the cucumber, slice down the middle and scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Then I grate the flesh and put it in a bowl with a small sprinkle of salt. After about 20 mins I put the contents on a clean teacloth and squeeze out the liquid. The cucumber flesh left over goes into tbe yogurt (with some crushed garlic - delish). But I keep the 'cucumber juice' and leave it in the fridge.

When you next have a g and t add a little of the juice with a twist of lime.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Good idea. I'll try if I can clarify some cucumber juice to proof my next gin down.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My cucumber experience so far.

viewtopic.php?t=67150#p7592137