Hand sanitizer

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wozza
Bootlegger

Hand sanitizer

Post by Wozza »

OK, it's not for drinking but it's something we're all going to need. And if panic buying where you live is anything like it is down here in Australia then hand sanitizer will be in short supply. And if there's one thing we all have access to, it's high proof alcohol. I got this from a medical site:

Two parts isopropyl alcohol or ethanol (91 percent to 99 percent alcohol)
One part aloe vera
A few drops of clove, eucalyptus, peppermint, or other essential oil.

I think you could use gelatine instead of the aloe vera.

Stay healthy...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Hand sanitizer

Post by NZChris »

The abv from that recipe is well below 70%, so use a calculator rather than that recipe.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Just got an email from the ttb that any dsp can now produce hand sanitizer without an approved formula. The basic formula is alcohol, glycerin, and hydrogen peroxide.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Cool. I've seen that PDF from the WHO giving the proportions. Looks pretty easy. I made some from their recipe and added a little bit of peppermint extract and we're using it just fine.

Now that we're pretty much stuck at home, though, a lot of the handwashing has gone out the window. No need to sanitize over and over if it's all the germs you already got.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

bluefish_dist wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm Just got an email from the ttb that any dsp can now produce hand sanitizer without an approved formula. The basic formula is alcohol, glycerin, and hydrogen peroxide.
Thanks, bluefish.
Could you tell us the proportions, or didn't they say that??

Geoff
The Baker
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

This is what I have. Formula guidance for the manufacture of hand sanitizer: TTB is authorizing the manufacture of hand sanitizer products consistent with World Health Organization (WHO) guidance. All TTB-permitted DSPs (including AFPs and beverage DSPs) may manufacture hand sanitizer products that are comprised of denatured or undenatured ethanol, glycerol (not less than 1.45% of the finished hand sanitizer product on a volume basis), and hydrogen peroxide (not less than 0.125% of the finished hand sanitizer product on a volume basis), without first obtaining formula approval from TTB.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Is that undiluted hydrogen peroxide or the low percent stuff we’re used to getting at the store?

Also glycerin = glycerol correct?
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

pope wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:02 pm Is that undiluted hydrogen peroxide or the low percent stuff we’re used to getting at the store?

Also glycerin = glycerol correct?
correct

FORMULATION 1 (per WHO standards)
• Ethanol 96%: 8333 ml
• Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 417 ml
• Glycerol 98%: 145 ml
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

HDNB wrote:FORMULATION 1 (per WHO standards)
• Ethanol 96%: 8333 ml
• Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 417 ml
• Glycerol 98%: 145 ml
...and then made up to 10L with distilled water.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, everyone.

I want to be able to do this but not having a reflux still I won't have such high proof alcohol.
How would the formula look using say 80% abv ethanol?

Geoff
The Baker
tubbsy
Swill Maker

Post by tubbsy »

The Baker wrote:Thanks, everyone.

I want to be able to do this but not having a reflux still I won't have such high proof alcohol.

Geoff
The end product of the WHO hand sanitizer is 80% ABV, so it won't work.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

tubbsy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 pm
The Baker wrote:Thanks, everyone.

Geoff
The end product of the WHO hand sanitizer is 80% ABV, so it won't work.
Oh. (sigh)

Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Geoff the CDC recommends a sanitizer that contains at least 60% abv... it should really just be used when access to soap and water is unavailable, I think for those situations your 80% cut with a little H202 and Glycerol will work well.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me ... tizer.html
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
BillyBob1808
Novice

Post by BillyBob1808 »

With the way things are going worldwide, it's good that recipes for homemade sanitizers are out there. It's not only because of the inevitable shortage at one point but because it is safer to make it yourself in your own home too, cut the trips to the stores as much as possible. I hope to stay optimistic throughout but it seems harder and harder as the days pass. I still hope it will all be over in a couple of months, though, really hope this won't escalate further.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

BillyBob1808 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 am With the way things are going worldwide, it's good that recipes for homemade sanitizers are out there. It's not only because of the inevitable shortage at one point but because it is safer to make it yourself in your own home too, cut the trips to the stores as much as possible. I hope to stay optimistic throughout but it seems harder and harder as the days pass. I still hope it will all be over in a couple of months, though, really hope this won't escalate further.
I'm pretty much going about my normal day to day activities. I rarely see humans, and I generally get supplies for a month on top of my stormy day, war, zombie apocalypse, wuhan bat virus supplies. I have made a couple more trips to the store lately but only because of a crappy chinese lawn mower I bought, and brought back, and got one with a Briggs motor on it. At the times I go to the store people are generally still asleep. You never know though, and it's like my dad used to tell me when I was a kid about lightning, if it's gonna get ya, it's going to get ya. My thought is there is no sense pushing fate. I still cycle, but this morning I was home before the sun came up.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Posted the following in another thread about Dry Fly distillery creating free hand sanitizers for their community.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/ ... tizer-spr/
flyweed
Swill Maker

Hand Sanitizer DIY

Post by flyweed »

Hey guys

my little community has been hit by Covid 19 like everyone else, and hand sanitizers are non existent. I have decided to help any way I can. I have about 5 gallons of 190 proof "rocket fuel" sitting here, that I'll most likely never get around to using, so I figured I'd start bottling and giving it out as hand sanitizer as needed.

I want to thicken it a bit, so it's not watery, and won't dry or burn skin. I know people are buying up all the aloe vera gel as well, so that's not available either. I do have a bunch of Knox unflavored gelatin. Would that thicken 190 proof at all? I don't WANT to make a Gel, but just something to put in s spray bottle, that is a little thicker, so it'll stick and not run as much or exaporate as quickly.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Let me know if it worked for you. I think one thing you need to remember for an effective hand sanitizer is that it HAS to be 60% or above AFTER adding the thickener..so if you start with 60% and then are thinning it down with gelatin..it won't be effective.
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
bubba
Bootlegger

Re: Hand Sanitizer DIY

Post by bubba »

other strings on hand sanitizer to be found //
this is a good thought . i have a little heads and tails and a full kettle of BWTPW to run.. and some Knox unflavored on the shelf..
but if knox unflavored would work would not any jello even flavored..
watermelon jello hootch if it dont work ill drink it..
my suggestion is to cut a quart to 70% abv [ 60% abv min suggested for effective sanitizing ] try adding the gelatin and see what happens .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You can put Aloe vera through a juicer to make gel. Peel if you don't want the color. Entertaining stuff to try to handle :D
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Here is the formula from the World Health Organization. It calls for Isopropryl alcohol, but I would think what we make is fine.

https://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2020 ... o-formula/

Hand Sanitizer (WHO Formula)
This is the World Health Organization-recommended formula for hand sanitizer. The recipe has been scaled down for home use.
Prep Time
5 mins
Ingredients
1 cup 99% Isopropyl alcohol OR 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons 91% Isopropyl alcohol
1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon glycerin
Water
Instructions
Tip the alcohol, peroxide and glycerin into a 2-cup glass measure. Then add enough water to bring the total quantity to 1 1/3 cups. Mix well.
Pour, via funnel, the sanitizer into small ("travel-size") bottles. I used squeeze-type bottles, but spritzer- or spray-type bottles are ideal.
gregbrew
Novice

Post by gregbrew »

I've been using 80% abv heads from my pot still to make hand sanitizer, and 80% abv foreshots straight, in a sprayer for a surface sanitizer. Gotta be careful about nearby surfaces, with the sprayer. Both run through a carbon cartridge filter to remove unpleasant odors.

3/4 cup 80% ethanol
1/4 cup aloe gel

Yields 60% sanitizer. I don't bother with smell-good stuff, since the carbon filter removed most of the unpleasant odors.

The aloe gel from my garden plant is a pain to process, but the final result is great.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

We're using coconut oil as it is also anti microbial, antiviral and antibacterial.

Only thing I would say is don't use corn starch. It could become food for mold.

I'd be afraid to use flavored jello, as it might tempt a kid. Hell, it would temp most adults!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Proofing down is the biggest issue to prevent skin damage .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
KSpirits75
Novice

Post by KSpirits75 »

Maybe this would be a good time to get home distillation for personal use pushed through congress?