Quarantine and isolation

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Quarantine and isolation

Post by thecroweater »

Stuck in this yard with the missus, her adult son and my three kids, sounds like they will be here for home schooling so setting up a room as a school room..
So here in this State we have just gone to level 3 lock down, no leaving the house for anything other than work ( for some but not all industries) medical emergency, food or brief excise under pain of an on the spot $1600 fine. Thanks to these darn blasted plastic preppers the shops are only letting ya buy two bags of sugar at a time (when they got some in) so my piggy back plan is taking a hiatus until stock is built up. I've got to admit I have learnt a few things since this lockdown started, like pancakes with maple syrup and whiskey work good for breakfast.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kimbodious
Distiller

Re: Quarantine and isolation

Post by kimbodious »

I am losing track of the days now that I am working from home, thank god it’s Friday!
Now I am working from home I don’t go to work, I just start work. The wife is managing ok having me home 24/7 as long as we agree on the music playlist.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I'm in my second week of working from home. I have not left once other than taking the dog for a walk. The wife has made some shopping runs, but we've not really needed anything. She just wants to get out and away.

This working from home is not all that I thought it would be. I thought I could do a little stilling. Nope, I am working more now than before. Plus, they can tell when you are away from your desk/computer for too long.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I am not allowed to work from home, my boss said if I am going to phone it in more than usual I will still have to do it at my place of work :(

I'm actually working harder than normal at work, I hardly have any free time in the shop to do goofy things. They did cut back our hours and I have a 2 week vacation in the middle of the month so I will be working a total 8 days in the month of April. I'm planning on using the free time to finish painting the Apple Reaper, finish all the little things that need done on the house, hopefully learn to use the animation program I bought a few years ago to make cartoons and maybe get a little stilling done.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kimbodious wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:02 pm I am losing track of the days now that I am working from home, thank god it’s Friday!
Now I am working from home I don’t go to work, I just start work. The wife is managing ok having me home 24/7 as long as we agree on the music playlist.
I'm listening to Gregorian Chant on you tube.

Wouldn't suit everyone.

Geoff
The Baker
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

As a hospital laboratory analyst for the west coast, my office is at home unless I am travelling to work in one of the labs, which of course is off the books now. Cue COVID-19 now our primary focus, time is non existent on the front lines. Add to that the wife has been ordered to work from home making both home offices full up, and internet tapped pretty hard. Add a college age daughter and raising (custodial) granddaughter who are now home full time, this house is getting small fast and it's 2700sqft... Good news the garage is mine and I am burning through all my surplus supplies with ferments, I have a fair supply stashed in the shed aging.

Hold fast people this will pass, beer once saved civilization, now alcohol is once again the savior!
Last edited by Desvio on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SOH and I got some grandkids . Their parents have essential jobs in medical care and law enforcement .That's where Pap and Nona come in . They've figured out that Pap is a stickler for detail , drinks on the job , cuts nasty farts ,and has a lousy sense of humor during home school time .
They have also learned that their complaints will fall on deaf ears because he is sleeping with the principal .
Every job needs some perks .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Her Indoors made sure we are well stocked with tools and supplies for the handyman projects she wants done. A few are done already, but it seems that every job done creates another one :roll:

I'd run my sugar out and happened to be going past a wholesaler just before the Wuhoo Flu hit NZ and had bought a 56# bag which is still unopened. There are a few seasonal distilling projects that I do around this time of year, so they will give me something to do. Absinthe is on that list (I'm just sampling a really nice one I made a couple of years ago), and our grapes are very nearly ready for harvest.

I guess the biggest PITA is not being able to pop across the road in the afternoons to meet up with many of our friends that call in for the same reasons.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

been on level 4 here since last tuesday. work is covering my pay. brought 50kg sugar just before it started. all set. dont go out much anyway so its not much different lol.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I'm a mobile engineer working on life safety systems so am classed as a key worker. Almost all of my work is in central London and work young kids at home this has made me VERY nervous. However, my company has just announced that they are closing from Friday afternoon and we are all being furloughed so I'll be home from next week!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Cargo train driver here, so I still work. It's weird to see so little activity in one of Europe's biggest shipping ports.

Stay sane people, I hear cabin fever's a thing.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Corsaire wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 am Stay sane people, I hear cabin fever's a thing.
It's for sure, It's gone so bad now that I used a systematic approach to an ageing experiment.
IMG_20200330_2154248972.jpg
If this carries on much longer I may even take gravity readings :shock: :o
Don't be a dick
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Swedish Pride wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:53 am
If this carries on much longer I may even take gravity readings :shock: :o
You must be a tad bored Swedish 😜
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My wife found this song and since this thread is about quarantine I think it applies
[utube][/utube]
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

My guys and I are on a 1-in-4 work schedule, work one day and then 3 days off. We have a piece of paper in our vehicles in case we get pulled over that says we're critical workers. I've been smoking food, taking the dogs on 8 mile walks, working on my motorcycle, distilling, gardening, and listening to podcasts. The wife has been reduced to 2 days per week, she works at an airport and nobody is flying right now. She's started to clean the entire house...and not on a time schedule....vacuuming at 10:30 at night...
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm
kimbodious wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:02 pm I am losing track of the days now that I am working from home, thank god it’s Friday!

Wouldn't suit everyone.

Geoff
The only Gregorian chant I like is the one in Monty Python's "Holy Grail". Makes me laugh every time.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Been on lockdown for a few weeks now, and looking toward at least May 3 for it to end. Probably longer than that.

Bay Area in Northern California has "flattened the curve" somewhat but of course we aren't out of the woods. I have to go to work a couple times a week but my boss said only go in after 10pm when nobody is there.

Hoping the best for all of our users during this trying time.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am
The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm
Wouldn't suit everyone.Geoff
The only Gregorian chant I like is the one in Monty Python's "Holy Grail". Makes me laugh every time.
With your user name thought it might be thisin

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I live out in the sticks, so everything is the same as normal
The only thing different is there's a passel of kids on the farm.
I have my bluff in on most of them.
But the 2 year old doesn't see it that way.
With the exception of her Great Grand Ma
That little girl has to be the most bull headed person I've ever met.
She climbed into my chair and started playing with the mouse and key board
When I told her the computer was off limits, she told me it was past my bed time :roll:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 pm When I told her the computer was off limits, she told me it was past my bed time :roll:
Best laugh I've had all day. :D
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Liked the music, Crow.

Geoff
The Baker
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

I'm looking at that cover art for the 'Gregorian' YouTube song that thecroweater put up. I immediately thought of Hungarian or Polish “Winged Hussars” which were renowned, light cavalry. Units wore their own matching version of wings – which were built over wooden frames that attached to the back of the rider's armor. The reasons why the wings were considered fashionable have been lost over time.
Hetman`s_guard.jpg
Orłowski_Husaria's_attack.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Riders.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Big 50th birthday wasn't so big, just Sue, her son and my kids. I got plenty to sip on but felt like a Scotch so for the first time in Got knows how long I bought a bottle, It's called The Ardmore Highland Single Malt, it's not bad but it ain't aged as well as I av :moresarcasm:
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Wife is off work til at least May. I guess it will be a test run for when she doesnt have to punch the clock any more. Im slaving away like any other day & soaking up the over time since there is a hiring freeze. On top of the stupid new rules the company has put into place.

A couple weeks ago I had time to skim over a few threads on here & yall were talking about dumbasses panic buying all sorts of stuff in the stores. I have to admit I was one of them. I hit up the hardware store & bought the copper I needed to get a thumper set up. Its far from my plan but is working great.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Anyways stay safe and happy Easter all, should add my auntie seems to be recovering and my uncle has been in isolated quarrentine in a Hotel and is close to being out of the woods. As I read the mounting death toll in America and Europe and contemplate the lung damage to those who recover with sadness I sure hope and pray our community here remains safe and vigilant

DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

We had a forced vacation last week, and today is our observation of Easter (just a Monday off), but it's back to the remote grind tomorrow. As others have said, working remote seems to be leading to more hours on the job, and of course it's all staring at a screen, so more taxing as well. My read on the data is that MI is bending the rate curve, as we all are globally, but averages deceive and there are certainly some areas still going exponentially. Question is... once we get the spread "under control", but before we have a vaccine, what will life look like? What are we in for during the next 12-15 months?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The last two days we have had heavy winds. The winds just howled down the lake, damaging the community dock next to our home. We did not loose power but our fence of over 30 years blew over so I spent yesterday cleaning up the mess and helping a neighbor with his pontoon boat. Today I think he is going to move it over to our dock that is very well built and safer as I have room until they can repair their dock.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 pm
shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 pm When I told her the computer was off limits, she told me it was past my bed time :roll:
Best laugh I've had all day. :D
I almost blew coffee out my nose.

I have worked out of the house for the last 5 years, so nothing new for me. I usually fly quite a bit though and obviously that's off, which I'm not complaining about. I have gotten a new pair of slippers from LL Bean, and a couple more pairs of wind breaker athletic style pants to slouch around the house in. Going back to pressed pants and a sport coat is going to be an adjustment. I have to admit, the whole panic buying thing was interesting. As an ex-chef, I run a house with an inventory list and keep par levels. I keep enough grub on hand full time to feed us for probably 2 months with little or no issue, other than fresh veg and maybe Milk/Cream. I went to the store as normal to pick up some odds and ends. It was pretty unreal. Since the only stores that matter much to me are hardware/grocery and they are open I haven't really thought too much about it. I have noticed that more people are out running/walking/playing with kids. Personally I think it's fantastic. Be interesting to see if the average fitness level or BMI goes down as a result of this. I will admit, the only slight inconvenience was the fact that my barber was closed. No issue though, I'll just let it grow. Got to admit, shaving is also becoming slightly less regular and I'm starting to enjoy that as well.
If in doubt leave it out.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I jumped through the required hoops and picked up a sack of kibbled corn to play with today. Still haven't been to the supermarket, but saw the queue outside on the way to get the corn and thought, "Bugger that!".

We'll be ok for a while yet. There is a lot of fruit ready at the moment, so we have to eat it, freeze it, bottle it, make jam, ferment it, drop it off to the neighbours, or let it rot on the ground.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I'm still working, but I've sent about 85% of my staff home, most of them with pay, just have 10 on site now. I'm currently alternating weeks working from home across from my boss. I was smart enough to set up my home office in my stilling room, so it's stripping runs and small experimental batches with the vacuum still and soxhlet for me!

The office is a ghost town, just me and one other here now, normally we'd have about 20 people here. I actually get work done now!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!