whats your music

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: whats your music

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

What a mess :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

har druckit för mycket
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

contrahead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:16 pm -----------
Here is a performer that had his own, uniquely identifiable “slip note” piano style. Appoggiatura is not a word that one runs across every day.
Floyd Cramer
Contra,
That caused a flashback.
Back in the mid-70's I was a deejay in college - late night college rock and on the weekends running an AM/FM Country board.
:wtf: helluva combination.

The country we played was Floyd Cramer, Dolly & Porter Wagner. NOT any outlaw music! Any albums - yes albums - I pulled out of the stacks - anything by Waylon & Willie was when they had short hair with Brylcreem. (Although I did find a 45 by Jimmy Buffett I would sneak in.

Point being I often played "Last Date" as one of my final songs on a Sunday afternoon, it just seemed to fit.

Back to your subject of Appo - whatever it is.

I read it, still not sure what it is.
But when I moved to N'awlins in the 80's I became a fan of that music and Professor Longhair.
Then I discovered he was a student of Tuts Washington, as was Doctor John, then Harry Connick Jr.

Not sure you would call this Appoggiatura or not, but Tut's pretty cool.

contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

TDick wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm
Contra,
That caused a flashback.
Back in the mid-70's .........
The Wikipedia explanation wasn't very clear to me either. It seems that “appoggiatura” is just a fancier term for what someone else would call a “slip note” or “bent note”. A small embellishment or flourish, but not essential to the overall melody. To quote another source : “Slip note piano is where an adjacent note slides effortlessly into the correct note”.

Watching one of these two videos might better explain whats going on. How to Play Last Date on the Piano or Country Piano Intro: Crazy (by Patsy Cline). Tuts Washington from your video seems to be doing the same razzle dazzel in the beginning and later on in spots, but not deliberately throughout the recording.

Speaking of flashbacks, I am reminded of a favorite saloon where decades ago I spent many a night listening to or trying to talk around loud ragtime piano music. This particular saloon was small and decorated in 1890's Victorian décor, the staff of two - to four wore costumes (the barmaids were especially well endowed) and the piano players rode circuit (three or four rotated in and out during the course of a year - from a service in Denver).

The pianist played music befitting a saloon, which oftentimes meant Scot Joplin's music. Joplin was a formally trained pianist and composer that spent much of his time playing in brothels to make his eating money, but he didn't do any of that appoggiatura stuff.

I'm leaving two examples of the “Maple Leaf Rag”; the first is formal and precise – the second is faster, sloppier and more like what ragtime jazz music should sound like when played in a loud and smokey saloon. The cigar, pinstripe shirt, garter belt on the arm, tip jar and beer mug atop the piano are all missing though.

Omnia mea mecum porto
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Up for all our new SA members We love good music
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

An other Dave Mathew favorite
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

contrahead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:16 pm Most of us modern denizens of westernized society - are accustomed to having our eardrums lambasted by much louder and fuzzier sounds. Outright auditory assault passes as acceptable music.
And I love it.

Reminds me of the old joke

-I hate that music where you can't understand any of the lyrics.
-Yeah, I can't stand opera either.

Joking aside, keep 'em coming. I can appreciate most kinds of music. And there's plenty of people who still study music and work to master their instruments ;-)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

History repeats itself if you pay attention.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Corsaire wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 am Reminds me of the old joke

-I hate that music where you can't understand any of the lyrics.
-Yeah, I can't stand opera either.
The funniest thing is you guys speak there a variety of either Latin or German, excepting the Basques and some Celtic remains, okay...

For sure, Swedish is still not Spanish,,, but "the true Nordic one" needs not much mind to get what does "los restos de la esfera" mean :wink:

Para mí personalmente, la versión de México es más accesible que la Castellana. Don't like all those seseo effects... :problem:

har druckit för mycket
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by acfixer69 »

Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

I almost read it for "Derek and the Dominos" at first - lovely song. great chill mood, thank you.
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by vagabondmountainman »

Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

This should speak out to a lot of Americans that remember
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

vagabondmountainman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:42 pm
It’s been ten years or so now, but I saw Railroad Earth about a half-dozen times and they always did this song. I enjoyed their music and sound a lot.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 pm
vagabondmountainman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:42 pm
It’s been ten years or so now, but I saw Railroad Earth about a half-dozen times and they always did this song. I enjoyed their music and sound a lot.

Twisted
Yeah they are my favorite. They are incredible to watch live. I go to shows whenever they are within a 4 hour drive or so and usually see them a few times a year. They just keep getting better as they get older. If you're bored being stuck at home, they have been posting lots of full live shows on U-Tube lately to keep the fans entertained. Some of them don't have the best video/audio quality, but many are DVD quality like you are right there in the front row.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks for the tip, vmm. I'm on it.

One time I saw RE at a small club, nature called and on the way to the men's room I slipped into a hallway where the sound of the band wrapped and was ridiculously good. I was pretty lit and pulled my (blues) harp outta my pocket and ripped off a coupla riffs to Long Way To Go at a perfect spot for a 'solo'. Maybe 5secs worth total. All the folks hanging around stopped and and just stared at me, but damn that sounded tasty!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 pm
vagabondmountainman wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:42 pm RAILROAD EARTH

Twisted
Cool song, never heard them before.
I was watching an episode of Ken Burns "Country Music" about the late 60s - early 70s.
High School & College for me.
It reminded me of what a wide range of music we all liked.
Everything from Black Sabbath to Willie Nelson.
They talked about how The Byrds were the first rock group at The Grand Ole Opry. And got booed for looking like long hair hippie types.

And just about everybody I knew owned this double album:
vagabondmountainman
Site Donor
Site Donor

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:24 am Thanks for the tip, vmm. I'm on it.

One time I saw RE at a small club, nature called and on the way to the men's room I slipped into a hallway where the sound of the band wrapped and was ridiculously good. I was pretty lit and pulled my (blues) harp outta my pocket and ripped off a coupla riffs to Long Way To Go at a perfect spot for a 'solo'. Maybe 5secs worth total. All the folks hanging around stopped and and just stared at me, but damn that sounded tasty!
That's a great story. Long way to go is one of my favorites too. Their music always makes me happy. I play a little blues harmonica also but not sure if I'd have the guts to play at a show. I'm not as good as I used to be--my chocolate lab likes to "sing a long" now. She's pretty good at matching my notes, but makes it kind of distracting to play much.

Back in January before all the quarantine madness a few friends and I convinced Todd the lead singer/guitar to hang out with us after a show. He came over my friends house around 1 and we stayed up drinking whiskey, swapping stories and playing guitar until sunrise. Real nice down to earth guy. Its going to be hard on all the musicians if they can't tour for the next year.

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

vagabondmountainman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm
Back in January before all the quarantine madness a few friends and I convinced Todd the lead singer/guitar to hang out with us after a show. He came over my friends house around 1 and we stayed up drinking whiskey, swapping stories and playing guitar until sunrise. Real nice down to earth guy. Its going to be hard on all the musicians if they can't tour for the next year.
That's crazy! After that you surely gleaned a different perspective of their songs. You guys played guitar and you had whiskey! Great story, vmm! (I'm just a little more than jealous!)

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun