Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone else got the Wuhan?

Post by nerdybrewer »

This is day 10 for me.
The roughest so far, more chest congestion and the headache is back.
My back hurts and that's due to congestion because I've had that before.
First day I have called in sick at work, may be a few more coming up.

It's still not as bad as last years flu.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

nerdybrewer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm It's still not as bad as last years flu.
NB.. interesting.. could you expand on your statement..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

NB, Have you been quarantined by the health dept?

Cheers,
Jb
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

Hope you and your wife both feel better soon!

My wife works in a hospital and we both had positive antibody tests on Tuesday.

We weren't sure that we had it, but felt terrible and had mild chest congestion, shortness of breath and some significant intestinal distress (not going into detail on that). The other weird this was an on and off low grade fever it only really came on in the evening. It was never really horrible, but it was uncomfortable. We weren't sure that it was actually COVID or just some weird virus. It lasted about 10 days. We were done with it about a week and a half ago. I only mention this as an FYI for people not paying close attention to the news. Most COVID-19 infections do not require hospitalizations. If you feel at all sick - PLEASE STAY HOME.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Opdog wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm Hope you and your wife both feel better soon!

My wife works in a hospital and we both had positive antibody tests on Tuesday.

We weren't sure that we had it, but felt terrible and had mild chest congestion, shortness of breath and some significant intestinal distress (not going into detail on that). The other weird this was an on and off low grade fever it only really came on in the evening. It was never really horrible, but it was uncomfortable. We weren't sure that it was actually COVID or just some weird virus. It lasted about 10 days. We were done with it about a week and a half ago. I only mention this as an FYI for people not paying close attention to the news. Most COVID-19 infections do not require hospitalizations. If you feel at all sick - PLEASE STAY HOME.
Thanks for sharing that Opdog Wife and I had a similar experience couple weeks ago and she got over it and I came into it. Was a dry cough with rattlin lungs. No fever but both had chills and clod and hot sweats. Never took out the thermometer cause we new it was mild. Strange flu this Wahan.
Hope all the best.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

nerdybrewer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm This is day 10 for me.

Man I hope you take care of your self.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:35 pm NB, Have you been quarantined by the health dept?

Cheers,
Jb
Yes, and my doctor. My HR department told me when I could come back to work and under what conditions.
I think I'll meet the when part, but not the other part.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm
nerdybrewer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm It's still not as bad as last years flu.
NB.. interesting.. could you expand on your statement..

Mars
Lat year my wife and I both got the seasonal flu.
She had to go to the ER and I was horribly sick, like don't move kind of sick.

This is a walk in the park so far comparatively.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

acfixer69 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:09 pm
nerdybrewer wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm This is day 10 for me.

Man I hope you take care of your self.
We're doing out level best.
Work was very good today when I told them it's best I not report in for a while.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Nerdy, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

Your the first person I know who’s infected. I guess it was only a matter of time the way this thing continues to spread.

Masks save lives. Wearing a mask around others is one of the few things they have asked us to do that is scientifically proven to prevent the spread of this virus. The person wearing the mask is doing this to protect others from them, not to protect themselves from others. So please don’t get mad at folks who wear the mask.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

OtisT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm Nerdy, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

Your the first person I know who’s infected. I guess it was only a matter of time the way this thing continues to spread.

Masks save lives. Wearing a mask around others is one of the few things they have asked us to do that is scientifically proven to prevent the spread of this virus. The person wearing the mask is doing this to protect others from them, not to protect themselves from others. So please don’t get mad at folks who wear the mask.

Otis
Totally agree with that, please wear a mask and don't think that you have a right to not. Until we have an effective vaccine for this we need to keep each other safe.
Please stay safe
OVZ
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

nerdybrewer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm With just a little more constricting of your rights you could be a "Washingtonian".

"Yeah, gotta go now. Well, anytime you will come to us on the Kolyma... welcome!"
"Thank you... I'm fine just here!"

:roll:

har druckit för mycket
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 pm
OtisT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm Nerdy, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

Otis
Totally agree with that, please wear a mask and don't think that you have a right to not. Until we have an effective vaccine for this we need to keep each other safe.
Please stay safe
OVZ
Alright, it's been a while since I went on a rant but I'm feeling - what are the kids calling it these days? "triggered" :roll:
You guys are friends so please don't be offended by my ranting, I'm just feeling an urge to purge.
This is very long, I'm in complete lockdown and am usually a person who goes out and does things so let's just call this rant therapy for me.

There is a vaccine for the flu but how efficacious is it. Tens of thousands of people in the US die from it every year.

Bill Gates has been talking about an RNA vaccine and apparently thinks that's the thing that is going to work. Having had some personal dealings with that man I can say more accurately than most that I "have some small idea of how he thinks". I believe he sees this as an opportunity to upgrade our operating system, which is what an RNA "vaccine" is capable of doing. Although this may not be the "upgrade" we wanted. We have a term for what you get from a bad upgrade, it's the "BSOD". That stands for Blue Screen Of Death. Anyone in IT for any real amount of time has seen it.

I have read those books and seen those movies, the story never turns out well.
Personal favorite: "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson 1954
Also a couple pretty good movies made from that book including a passable acting job by both Charlton Heston and Will Smith.

I will not have some vaccine that has been hastily concocted and not put through rigorous testing injected into my body.
Understand that from over 4 decades working in IT I have a healthy distrust for "upgrades".
I always wait and see what happens to the early adopters.

There is a whole list of stuff I could say about how we are being lied to on a daily basis, this one really sticks with me because of my decades as a DataBase Administrator:

Investigators: "You are counting gunshot deaths and car accident deaths AS Covid deaths"
Governor Inslee: "We don't want to talk about that" (as he hides from reporters and cancels his scheduled press conference)

I have always hated it when people in authority ask for data but they word the request in a "certain way".
You can always tell when they are trying to massage the data to fit their narrative.
My way of combating this has been to produce all the data and give it to them and then let them change or delete what they wanted, at least that way if I am called to testify I can show that the data I provided contained everything and I was not the damn liar creating statistics from the data.
When I'm even slightly suspicious I save a copy, just in case.
This is pretty standard in my profession, because so many requests are stinky in one way or another.

There is a difference between dying "from" the virus and dying "with" the virus.
The way I understand it we in Washington state have two database tables:

1. People who have died (let's call this one "deadPeople")
2. People who have tested positive for Covid-19 (let's call this one "CV19positive")

Lets make the unique identifier column "ID" in both tables (the unique identification of a person, numbers are great here, makes for fast searches)
Let's have a column in the deadPeople table be "deathCause" and that's the cause of death
Let's call Covid-19 cause of death "CV19" and anything else whatever it was (gunshot, accident, suicide etc...)

Simply searching for matches in each table gives you the number of people who died "with" the virus (NOT because of).
They ignored the part where the actual cause of death was listed, it should have been part of the query.
Something like:

Select from deadPeople and CV19positive where ID = ID

OR

Select from deadPeople and CV19positive where ID = ID AND where deadPeople.deathCause IS "CV19"

I've simplified a bit because I don't know what database they are using, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, Access or something else like Sybase or IBM System R. (that's going back in time a bit for some)

Ideally you would create a third table (or a view) from the joining of the first two and then refresh that whenever you needed to provide new stats.

This is just pointing out how they lie to us, and they think we are stupid sheep that will just simply believe everything they tell us.
Don't pull this stuff on us, there are a lot of well educated professionals in this state who (if not currently scared to death by the rhetoric) should be able to see through the SHtuff they are shoveling at us. Nigerian Scam? Come on??

So believe what you choose to believe, but be aware that there are reasons why our Wa Governor is still locking everyone down and giving out his Indulgences for some to come out and others not. There is a reason why he set criminals free from jail (who are already re-offending) while he seeks to lock people up for trying to earn a living.

He is on record saying that he is using this Covid crisis to push his climate change agenda. If you look you can find video of him saying it.

How did hundreds of millions of dollars of unemployment money get sent to Nigerian Scammers instead of our state's actual unemployed?
There are a lot of unemployed here who haven't seen a single penny even though they did everything they were supposed to do.

I do not trust the people in charge, and they continue to give me plenty of reason.

This virus is (in our case) less of a problem than the seasonal flu, we both have had seasonal flu pretty much every year even though we were immunized and it was far more serious for us than Covid-19 seems.

Where this virus gets bad is in places like nursing homes. Especially when Governors (Cuomo) send infected people into them and order the homes to receive and care for them.

Being absolutely quarantined at home with an upper respiratory infection and wearing something over our faces that inhibits breathing and increases viral load would be stupid and dangerous. Since we cannot go out and no one can come in we will not wear them. Once this is over there will be no medical need for us to have them. I think we should have t-shirts that say something like "CV-19 antibody positive" - "Want some?"
We both intend to donate plasma once our antibody tests come back positive.

So believe what you choose to believe, but be aware that there are reasons why our WA Governor is still locking everyone down and giving out his Indulgences for some to come out and others not. There is a reason why he set criminals free from jail (who are already re-offending) while he seeks to lock people up for trying to earn a living. If wearing masks works why didn't he just give those in jail masks? Why did he set free criminals who were justly locked up to go out and wreak havoc? Gary Ridgeway was ONE vote short of being released. GARY F'ing Ridgeway murdered at least 49 women!!!

Governor Inslee is on record saying that he is using this Covid crisis to push his climate change agenda. If you look you can find him saying it.

How did hundreds of millions of dollars of unemployment money get sent to Nigerian scammers instead of our state's actual unemployed?
There are a lot of unemployed here who haven't seen a single penny even though they did everything they were supposed to do.

We are being good and staying home and are not wearing masks.
I suspect our adult daughter who still lives with us brought it back from where she works in a downtown Seattle Pot Shop, she is also in quarantine with us.

We ordered our first online grocery shopping yesterday, another fiasco for another time.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I hear you Nerdy. It is a real problem that the top leaders of our country and many states are spewing horribly wrong information and setting unrealistic expectations. I for one would like to see scientists and disaster response experts (and possibly a few DBAs) in charge of this thing, including the daily briefings, rather than what we have been getting. I want scientific and math driven facts and clear guidance backed by the science and math, not to be told lies and fanciful dreams just because it may make specific people look bad.

All that said, I am absolutely amazed by how political this whole pandemic issue has become. This is the kind of thing that up until recently would bring our country together, to face a shared foe. Now, something like wearing a mask, which is not in dispute as to its ability to help prevent spread, has become some form of “freedom“ issue with a clear political party split. I just don’t recognize this country any longer.

Otis
Last edited by OtisT on Thu May 28, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thanks for allowing me to purge, took my mind off things for a while.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Nerdy.. it's call moving to one world government, and its at the stage of intermediate level.. forget about the world as you and I have known it to be, as it will never return as everyone will have to comply to whatever they say.. that why the true facts are not stated, because, if it was, the people raise again them.. but since you and I are told lies, we are being controlled..

As to the virus itself, as you stated yourself, it is not half as bad as the flu you had last fall.. this flu is not even dangerious, at least not compared to SAR, Mers, Elbola, and that is why they are using this virus to control the people.. and forget about a vaccination.. oh there will be a so called vaccination, but it will not be design to kill the virus.. it will be design to have better control of each one of us who allow himself to have the vaccination..

Think about it for a minute.. the world was stop in less than two weeks.. and look at what the stoppage has done to every thing.. for millions upon millions world wide have lost their job, to never getting them back.. hundreds of companies world wide will be filing for bankruptcies as it has already started with much more to go in the next few months.. just those two disruption alone will change the world..

It started in China, and China is leading the change.. and there isn't much the rest of the world can do about it.. how China governs it's people, is how the rest of the world will need to do..

Take care Nerdy.. enjoy the little freedom that is lefted.. at least that's what I trying to do.. Yeah it has turn my life upside down as I will not wait in line somewhere, nor wear a muzzle diaper..

If there's a little light in all of this, is the fact that at 75, I been my own doctor for the last 50.. so hopefully I will be able to go a few more yrs, then call it an end on my own terms, certainly not on the terms of the so called medical profession or one of the so called old aged home..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

+1 Mars, that's pretty much the way I see it too.
I believe part of the problem is that many people have never actually experienced liberty, so they don't know what it's like to lose it.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nerdy and Cranky, I have seen this thread but this is the first time I actually opened and read yours and others comments. Living north of you we have had a few cases but nothing like King County. Sorry to hear your situation but sounds like you guys are weathering it better than some. Stay safe my friend!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Opdog wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm I only mention this as an FYI for people not paying close attention to the news. Most COVID-19 infections do not require hospitalizations. If you feel at all sick - PLEASE STAY HOME.
The life you save, might be your Grand Ma's :wink:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm Nerdy and Cranky, I have seen this thread but this is the first time I actually opened and read yours and others comments. Living north of you we have had a few cases but nothing like King County. Sorry to hear your situation but sounds like you guys are weathering it better than some. Stay safe my friend!
Thanks, we are doing our level best.
The Mrs. and I are finding a few new things to watch at night.
This being day 12 for me I am hoping to turn a corner and be on the mend soon.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

So here's another thing that pissed me off today...

I got the idea to have a t-shirt made, spent a lot of time designing it on the website and eventually ordered it.
Was going to cost me $40 for one t-shirt.

I got a call a bit later from a very nice young lady who tried to politely tell me that they won't print what I wanted.
Was my test containing foul language?
No
Was I portraying someone, some individual, in a bad way?
No
What was my politically incorrect issue?
I wanted the shirt to look like this:
wuhanshirt.jpg
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Was it Politically incorrect that is answered only by which side of the isle you are on. Let's be careful here. We want this to stay as OP implied. You could have started that in another thread which would have been moved or locked. This one is still on the edge.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:39 pm Was it Politically incorrect that is answered only by which side of the isle you are on. Let's be careful here. We want this to stay as OP implied. You could have started that in another thread which would have been moved or locked. This one is still on the edge.
Thank you for the warning, I just had quite a day and that topped it off.
I promise to be better and you can delete it if you feel you should.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Don't need deleting. I am sure your days stressful do your best it is all any of us can do.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thank you, I appreciate this place and the one's who keep it moving smoothly.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Nerdy.. it's interesting how everything is being monitored.. on one hand is seem like not much, but on the other that what is coming down the pipeline.. and the question become, how the hell is this being done and who's behind it. and why or what is the intent..

It's just the way my minds.. looking at the whole picture.. no what it is..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

It is but off topic this is my 2nd warning stay on the op topic.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm Nerdy and Cranky, I have seen this thread but this is the first time I actually opened and read yours and others comments. Living north of you we have had a few cases but nothing like King County. Sorry to hear your situation but sounds like you guys are weathering it better than some. Stay safe my friend!
Thank you Bushman,

As I have already mentioned I am sure I have already had it back in January. A lot of people posting on this thread seem to be describing the exact symptoms I had. I used to get pneumonia every winter and it was a lot like that and as mentioned before it took me 7 weeks to recover but the total exhaustion took longer.

Nerdy, I hope you recover faster than It took me and my wife.

I understand how you feel, it's tough being cooped up for any length of time, especially when you don't feel all that bad but I really don't want this thread to get locked.

I will be off work for the entire month of June and possibly July. I have a lot of at home activities planned like painting my truck in my driveway, finishing the shed I started last year and finish fixing up the house to possibly sell so I can move to a less populated county.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Mrs Cranky would like me to pass this on as well
Mrs Cranky wrote: I'm sorry your having a hard time nerdybrewer... I really am :(
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Over the last 2 weeks have had several of the same symptoms that others describe in this thread.

Undeterminable headaches, mild chest congestion/tightness, mild fever for a few hours here and there, a slight feeling of just overall being off a bit and at one point I felt nauseous with my balance being a bit off for a couple of hours.

We live on the farm outside of town so fortunately we can avoid most of society if we want to. Wife has been working from home since early March and been only going to the local store for groceries 1-2x a week. Would be hard to say if I did catch it, where and when it would have happened.

I am relatively young and healthy so I probably won't try to get a test, maybe it's just stress ? I will just stay home for awhile longer and practice common sense. Best of luck to everyone that is battling the virus.