How Tequila is Made

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

How Tequila is Made

Post by 8Ball »

🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How Tequila is Made

Post by DetroitDIY »

Thanks for sharing 8Ball, I read through it twice. Keep thinking I want to try my hand at Taquila, but hard to find pinas here in the midwest. 21missionagave.com is on my radar as a perspective solution.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

DetroitDIY wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm Thanks for sharing 8Ball, I read through it twice. Keep thinking I want to try my hand at Taquila, but hard to find pinas here in the midwest. 21missionagave.com is on my radar as a perspective solution.
Several threads on agave syrup in here. I did a hybrid with agave, peated malt, wheat, raw sugar, and dunder. It’s close enuf for homemade.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I’d full-heartedly recommend 21missionsagave, it’s roasted agave syrup same as comes out of the tequila ovens. It’s like a quality wine kit at this point whether you make top shelf or garbage with it is up to you ;)

Great article! I skimmed and will be back for a full read-through in the AM! Some of the details (like on agave ripeness) are hard to come by.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Anybody know what the smaller pots are? Steam boilers I would assume, but it seems strange to me that each pot get's it's own boiler. I would have assumed that central steam generation would be more efficient. Anybody know if this is the norm for large distilleries?

(pic stolen without permission from Diffords, I would've just linked directly but they've got the right click blocker thingie going on)
Diffords guide tequila pot stills.jpg
Also interesting that 1 out of the 14 stills has a copper riser.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

zapata wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:58 pm Anybody know what the smaller pots are?
Collection vessels. In the one closest on the left you can see the "Y" where they switch from a small heads vessel to the bigger one for what they're keeping. Most likely ordinario/low wines.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Yup, that makes sense. 3rd on the right you can see the smaller collection vessel clearly.