Decent Bottles?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pickled
Novice

Decent Bottles?

Post by pickled »

Can anyone recommend some cheap nice looking bottles? I'm open to reusing commercial liquor bottles for storage and stuff, but I'd like something decent for serving and gifting. Even plain swing-tops would be fine. I just cant find for less than $8 ea.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Decent Bottles?

Post by Expat »

Ikea sells a 1L swing top for about $3, you just have to replace the silicon seal.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Hambone »

PackagingOptionsDirect
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
pickled
Novice

Post by pickled »

Hambone wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:03 pm PackagingOptionsDirect
Thanks!!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

pickled wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:41 pm Can anyone recommend some cheap nice looking bottles?...I'd like something decent for serving and gifting...I just cant find for less than $8 ea.
I get mine here: https://www.berlinpackaging.com/750-ml- ... r-bottles/

They do have a minimum buy now ($100), but if you plan ahead, it’s a great investment. Plus, the brown wood with natural cork stoppers makes it very “professional” looking too. Great for gifts.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Jamison Black Barrel bottles are wonderful. They are heavy glass, have a nice cork top, and the adhesive is water soluble so that the labels come off easily in 15 minutes of soaking. It just means you have to drink a lot of Irish whiskey! :mrgreen:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

GCB3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:30 pm... and the adhesive is water soluble so that the labels come off easily in 15 minutes of soaking....
Want a tip on how to remove labels from bottles that aren’t water soluable?

Take a pairing knife and peel the paper or foil label off. Then, soak a bit of laquer thinner on a paper towel and wipe the adhesive several times. The thinner disolves the glues and it wipes off, nice and clean. Then, put a dab of dish soap on the bottle where the labels were removed and gently scrub the “stickiness”, if any remains. Rinse with hot water and dry with a soft towel. Pretty easy to clean in a few minutes of effort.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:56 pm
pickled wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:41 pm Can anyone recommend some cheap nice looking bottles?...I'd like something decent for serving and gifting...I just cant find for less than $8 ea.
I get mine here: https://www.berlinpackaging.com/750-ml- ... r-bottles/

They do have a minimum buy now ($100), but if you plan ahead, it’s a great investment. Plus, the brown wood with natural cork stoppers makes it very “professional” looking too. Great for gifts.
ss
Stirrin,
Sounds like you've ordered those cork tops. I assume they are 100% natural and not composite or glued together? The description says "cork" but that is about it.
Thanks
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I spend enough time and money on research, ingredients, fermenting, distilling and aging without buying bottles to put it in so that I can give it away.

If anyone is special enough to get a bottle of one of my products, they will get it in a recycled bottle, (mostly in the style of the drink that was originally in the bottle), and if they don't return the bottle, it is unlikely that they will get another one because I make likker, not bottles.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks SS. I also the Bullet bottles but their adhesive is a B-atch to remove. Been using foreshots but they are not quite hot enough. I’ll give the lacquer thinner a try.
Cheers
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Different labels have different adhesives.
These may be successful in removing them.
Especially after soaking in warm water with maybe a little dish washing liquid.

Eucalyptus (especially spray).
Some furniture polish sprays.
Jif (a cleaning paste) with alcohol.
Dish washing liquid.

Geoff
The Baker
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

NZChris wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm I spend enough time and money on research, ingredients, fermenting, distilling and aging without buying bottles to put it in so that I can give it away.

If anyone is special enough to get a bottle of one of my products, they will get it in a recycled bottle, (mostly in the style of the drink that was originally in the bottle), and if they don't return the bottle, it is unlikely that they will get another one because I make likker, not bottles.
+1.

Pickled, At two months into the hobby & process, seems like your focus should be on making something decent to put into bottles — not on finding decent bottles to fill. But yea, I get it. You want the cool bottles. Plenty of time for that after you make something good to share.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

check with your local craft distiller. most all of them have some left over bottles from a project that ended or didn't work out. they sell 'em for a buck or maybe two on the high side, cleans out their shop and turns bad storage into good money.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

GCB3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:28 am Thanks SS. I also the Bullet bottles but their adhesive is a B-atch to remove. Been using foreshots but they are not quite hot enough. I’ll give the lacquer thinner a try.
Cheers
The Baker wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 am .......
Eucalyptus (especially spray).

Geoff
Go with Eucalyptus oil / spray as per the Baker, I had similar issues and my first wife suggested Eucalyptus oil, worked a treat!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
pickled
Novice

Post by pickled »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:33 pm Pickled, At two months into the hobby & process, seems like your focus should be on making something decent to put into bottles — not on finding decent bottles to fill. But yea, I get it. You want the cool bottles. Plenty of time for that after you make something good to share.

🎱
Thanks for the backhanded advice.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

pickled wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pm Thanks for the backhanded advice.
You're only a couple months into this forum, you'll soon develop the skills to be able to filter out the egos. :D If you wanna find a bottle to show off the product of your new hobby, nothing wrong with that... have at it. :thumbup:
pickled
Novice

Post by pickled »

Smokee wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 pm You're only a couple months into this forum, you'll soon develop the skills to be able to filter out the egos. :D If you wanna find a bottle to show off the product of your new hobby, nothing wrong with that... have at it. :thumbup:
I appreciate the perspective. I haven't learned the culture around here yet.
For me, if I'm putting all this time and $ into something, even if its for myself, the packaging is part of the product and enjoyment. Hell, I like drinking whisky out of a nice glass as well. :D
Cheers!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Smokee wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 pm
pickled wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:41 pm Thanks for the backhanded advice.
You're only a couple months into this forum, you'll soon develop the skills to be able to filter out the egos. :D If you wanna find a bottle to show off the product of your new hobby, nothing wrong with that... have at it. :thumbup:
Might as well show off that wall of participation trophies too while you guys are at it ... 8) :wave:

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

go by your local watering hole and get them to save whatever you want. I like Quarter Horse bourbon or rye bottles. they are really stout
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

8Ball wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:20 am
Might as well show off that wall of participation trophies too while you guys are at it ...
I can't speak for pickled but I was born before the pansy generations that got participation trophies. Sorry you feelings got hurt. :roll: :wave:
pickled
Novice

Post by pickled »

Too funny.
I showed this thread to my wife and she said, "so, you have to earn your bottles?"
:lol:
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I say go for it. I see no problems in anyone taking pride in what they do.
Follow tried and true recipes, Don't be greedy with your cuts and you can definitely make something to be proud of.
I have used these guys a lot and have always had good experience with them.

https://packagingoptionsdirect.com/

Now once you get your cool bottles you will need to get a label
Check this out

http://www.beerlabelizer.com/

For further ideas there is a whole thread devoted to it

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69804
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Lol 8ball! When I was new I was proudest of my creations. Now I make much better spirits and stick them in whatever damn bottle I can find. A lot of recycling going on, I don't even take the labels off I just scribble something on masking tape and tape over the label.

When buying, flint clear wine/burgundy bottles are the cheapest I have found, from wine making supply stores online or your LHBS. If you want to swing the other direction Berlin Packaging, as SS mentioned, has some of the nicest bottles around and plenty of variety. If you look at their offerings and then scope out the liquor store shelves for smaller distilleries' offerings, you can see a lot of them in person too.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Bubbles2
Novice

Post by Bubbles2 »

I just gave out some Apple Pie, and being a person who buys Ball Jar cases every other month to can food I do not even want to spend a 1.00 on giving jars away. LOL
I use sanitized, label cleaned Beer Bottles and just cap them with a o2 Caps. 13oz is a good giveaway. It is like 375ml or half a 5th. (old school word) I like Russel Reserve Bottles myself. There are also Epson or something like it Tequila (with skulls on the label) I also have, or have been saving Bulleit Bottles. 25.00 bucks a piece filled. My world, if I am going to pay 5.00 for a bottle or more, might as well buy it filled, empty it and reload. Like my Brass. I use a Scripto Marker Clear bottles get Black or Blue, dark bottles get Silver, I just mark whats in em and date. Easy to clean off with a Green Scrubby when time to reload.
Remove Labels with Hot water, OxyClean, soak over night, fall right off, If Not Razor scrape, Cooking Oil melts the Glue, use green scrubby.
Another thought is Some Root Beers come in Flip top. Not sure area or markets you have access to for Grolsh Flip tops too.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My wife spends a fair bit on jars every year for pickles and jams to give away, so lots of people know she makes pickles and jam.

Even though distilling is legal in NZ, I still don't want a lot of people knowing that I distill, so you have to be pretty lucky to be given a bottle of my likker and there is no chance you will get a bottle of my whiskey or rum. If you are in a country where it is illegal, the less people that know, the better.

The other downside to giving away your product, is that it makes it difficult to build up aging stock. If you are giving away young rum or whiskey, you are giving away pretty crappy product compared to what it would be in few years time if you had looked after it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Jaegermeister bottles gleaned from local pubs for me . Easily hold a quart and , given their shape , stack nicely on the shelves or in a box when we are travelling .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Truckinbutch wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:30 pm Jaegermeister bottles gleaned from local pubs for me . Easily hold a quart and , given their shape , stack nicely on the shelves or in a box when we are travelling .
Does the Jaeger taste clean out completely?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Bushman »

Truckinbutch wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:30 pm Jaegermeister bottles gleaned from local pubs for me . Easily hold a quart and , given their shape , stack nicely on the shelves or in a box when we are travelling .
That is why I like Bushmill bottles.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Expat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Does the Jaeger taste clean out completely?
Yep , it does with a good soap and water wash . Foreshots will take off the labels .Many malt liquor bottle caps will replace missing caps .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .